Der Untergang - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:51 AM
Der Untergang

This new movie which supposedly (if that's a word ) portrays a side of Hitler we don't see very much in movies.

German film shows Hitler's tender side

Quote:
COLOGNE, Germany (Hollywood Reporter) -- A German movie that depicts Adolf Hitler as a soft-spoken man who charms his secretary and lovingly plays with his pet Alsatian is turning into one of the country's most controversial films.
Quote:
In addition to depicting Hitler not just as a screaming demagogue, "Downfall" breaks one of the last taboos of German cinema by portraying Hitler in a central role.

"It is not the first time (we've seen) Adolf Hitler on the screen, but it is certainly the first time they have tried to discover the human touch in the monster," said Rolf Giesen, head of Berlin's Film Museum.
Quote:
That approach has sparked fierce debate in the German press, with some critics warning the film could pander to neo-Nazis.

"'Downfall' prompts the question whether one should be allowed to feel sympathy for Hitler," German newspaper the Frankfurter Allgemeine wrote in a recent article criticizing the film.
So any of our German friends who have seen the movie? Does anybody here as any objections to showing Hitler in a different light?

Old 09-17-2004, 09:38 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:51 AM
i would never have made a film about hitler, as much as i know the film is about he's last days before suicide, what do we want to learn about

Old 09-17-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 06:51 PM
I think it's important for people to realize that otherwise ordinary people can do terribly awful things. That being said, I have no desire to see this film.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:44 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Re: Der Untergang

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
Does anybody here as any objections to showing Hitler in a different light?
I think it is healthy to pose the questions/ideas and expose them to scrutiny instead of keeping it under wraps.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:51 PM
I am sure that Hitler had a kind human side just like Stalin and Pol Pot, that is what makes them so damn scary.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:24 PM   #6
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:51 PM
I would have to agree.

I don't see how portraying the truth is neccessarily showing sympathy. So he's nice to his secretary. I don't think that in any way excuses what he did.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:53 AM   #7
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:51 PM
When I went through the bullshit with the NSW Dept of Corrective Services, the shrink guy from Long Bay asked me "Do you believe there is good in everyone?" I hesitated before saying "yes I think there is in all" The rest of the point I was going to make is probably boring and irrelevant, but I think if someone can love, there is good in them. Did Hitler use his vast intelligence for good? No. But does it mean there was no good in him?
Old 09-19-2004, 06:11 AM   #8
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
I think it's important to try to show the real picture even of people like hitler. If we don't do it the neofacists combine some facts with their ferrytales and it's easier for them to sell their conspiracy theories to rectruit new people
Old 09-19-2004, 09:02 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
I think it's important to try to show the real picture even of people like hitler. If we don't do it the neofacists combine some facts with their ferrytales and it's easier for them to sell their conspiracy theories to rectruit new people

so otherwise someone would become fascist? so we need a movie about hitler to avoid it? history speaks alone, you don't need a movie to show or imagine invisible human sides of someone who was against humanity, btw, fascismus doesn't exist anymore
Old 09-19-2004, 01:19 PM   #10
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
No...
but it's just not helpful to "modify" history in these movies "based on a true story". It's good to know that even the worst people of the planet even a monster has some human sides.
This also helps us to understand how it could hapen that a monster was elected in a democracy.

And if we lie in these movies "based on a true story" we just feed the people who claim that Hitler wasn't that bad and our system just "created" the monster.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:11 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:51 AM
Quote:

This also helps us to understand how it could hapen that a monster was elected in a democracy.
Excellent point. And how to avoid it happening again.

Another "positive" characteristic of this arsehole - I have always been fascinated by Hitlers rockstaresque charismatic orations. The dude sure knew how to work the crowd.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:32 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
No...
but it's just not helpful to "modify" history in these movies "based on a true story". It's good to know that even the worst people of the planet even a monster has some human sides.

And if we lie in these movies "based on a true story" we just feed the people who claim that Hitler wasn't that bad and our system just "created" the monster.

hitler was a smartass, klaus, he profited of the troubles germany was involved after the first world war, when the germans were condemned to pay for indemnities and for all the war damages.most of all germany was burdened of a moral fault, they were accused to have let the war happening, the economy drowned literally and people were drowning, too. then came the democratic republic of weimar, which was a failure since the beginning, it was a puppet government, and in 1933 hitler had no problem to play on german's feelings: "we are germans, we are the best and most intelligent population of the world, they injured our pride, how could they denigrate us, now we must make them pay!", stuff like this, he entered in the injuried hearts of the germans, no one was talking like him at that time, german people were worn out by poverty, there's non wonder people voted him. hitler was claiming about his nazi projects since the first day he came on flap. english, american, french, russian weren't thinking hitler could represent a true menace, they were all thinking, "oh, he will stay calm", everyone in the world undervalued hitler's potentialities.....and we know what happened then. nowadays i don't think something like this may happen again, we know what nazism can bring, even though there are still stupid groups of fanatics. about the human sides of hitler. i think you know that in a movie you can make things appear beautiful or bad.......so, when someone comes, and makes a movie about a "man" who killed 6.000.000 of jewish, plus other millions, and wants to encourage me or to convince me that an animal like this had human feelings then i really spit on his face, this is amazing
Old 09-20-2004, 12:44 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Babyman, noone is disputing Hitler orchestrated genocide, or that what he was responsible for wasn't intolerably bad.

We can still discuss his personality. Its not taking away from the suffering his victims endured.

peace
Old 09-20-2004, 02:06 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by beli
[B]Babyman, noone is disputing Hitler orchestrated genocide, or that what he was responsible for wasn't intolerably bad.

i wasn't thinking that
Old 09-20-2004, 02:07 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

sorry, my mistake