Demonic Possession, is it real or group hysteria? - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Is Demonic Possession real or group hysteria?
Absolutely real 10 18.87%
Probably real 2 3.77%
It's real, but you have to invite evil influences into your life 8 15.09%
No, not real; anyone claiming this is a mental case. 28 52.83%
There is a good force and a bad force in our universe-a person has to decide which force they choose to serve 2 3.77%
diamondbruno#9, do you have your own church and gospel? 3 5.66%
diamond you always make the best threads; cutting edge, pushing the intellectual and religious envelope; Bravo 6 11.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #181
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:06 PM
agreed, supasta.


dbs
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #182
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,430
Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


some people desperately need the devil to exist.
And some people desperately wish he didn't.

But the greatest trick the devil pulled....
__________________

__________________
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #183
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
But the greatest trick the devil pulled....
...was convincing people that he was more powerful than what he really is. There's certainly been an awful lot of people killed, in the name of God, by people trying to "rid the world of Satan."
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #184
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon


...was convincing people that he was more powerful than what he really is. There's certainly been an awful lot of people killed, in the name of God, by people trying to "rid the world of Satan."
Point taken.
Sadly, most ppl don't realize how easy it is to put Satan in check.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #185
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,501
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977


And some people desperately wish he didn't.

But the greatest trick the devil pulled....


show me the money.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #186
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




show me the money.

Irvine,
Here go.

http://www.churchofsatan.com/home.html

Don't spend too much time there, I don't want to have to go fish you out.



dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #187
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 10:06 PM
^ That's the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled?

Man, what a letdown...I prefer Paradise Lost.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #188
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:06 PM
Milton had a lot of it right based on the information available in his day; some of it his opinion only.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #189
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond



Irvine,
Here go.

http://www.churchofsatan.com/home.html

Don't spend too much time there, I don't want to have to go fish you out.



dbs
Quote:
The beliefs, practices and rituals of the Church of Satan have few, if any, points of similarity with the Christian or Muslim concept of Satan. The CoS' Satan is pre-Christian, and derived from the Pagan image of power, virility, sexuality and sensuality. Satan is viewed as a force of nature, not a living quasi-deity. Their Satan has nothing to do with Hell, demons, pitchforks, sadistic torture, demonic possession, and profound evil. There are references in LaVey' writings to having conducted a few Black Masses for publicity purposes, in which the Roman Catholic Mass was ridiculed. But, it is unknown whether these references were satirical or reflected actual rituals. Assuming that the black masses were fictional, all of their rituals have no connection to those of Christianity or of any other religion.

Some of their beliefs and practices are:
They do not worship a living deity.
Major emphasis is placed on the power and authority of the individual Satanist, rather than on a god or goddess.
They believe that "no redeemer liveth" - that each person is their own redeemer, fully responsible for the direction of their own life.
"Satanism respects and exalts life. Children and animals are the purest expressions of that life force, and as such are held sacred and precious..."
http://www.religioustolerance.org/satanis1.htm


Nice try. Next?
__________________
VintagePunk is online now  
Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #190
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk




http://www.religioustolerance.org/satanis1.htm


Nice try. Next?
Actually here are their tenets and they sound pretty secular to most Christians.

The Nine Satanic Statements

from The Satanic Bible, ©1969

by Anton Szandor LaVey

[français]



1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!

2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!

3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!

4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!

5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!

6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!

7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!

8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!



9. Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 10:19 PM   #191
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


Actually here are their tenets and they sound pretty secular to most Christians.

The Nine Satanic Statements

from The Satanic Bible, ©1969

by Anton Szandor LaVey

[français]



1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!

2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!

3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!

4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!

5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!

6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!

7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!

8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!



9. Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!
Yes, they do sound secular. They strike me as a bunch of harmless, self-indulgent hedonists, which, if that's the way they choose to live their lives, that's fine with me.

But my point, the relevant one, is that they by no means agree with your representation of satan, nor do they worship him, or feel it's possible for satan to "possess" someone.
__________________
VintagePunk is online now  
Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #192
Refugee
 
TranceEnding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Posts: 1,124
Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


Actually here are their tenets and they sound pretty secular to most Christians.

The Nine Satanic Statements

from The Satanic Bible, ©1969

by Anton Szandor LaVey

[français]



1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!

2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!

3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!

4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!

5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!

6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!

7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!

8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!



9. Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!

I have no real interest or attraction to the ideals of the Church of Satan, but does anyone think these beliefs are necessarily evil ??
__________________
TranceEnding is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #193
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TranceEnding



I have no real interest or attraction to the ideals of the Church of Satan, but does anyone think these beliefs are necessarily evil ??
That's what I was just thinking.

Going through the list, I agree with #1 at times, and with 2, 3, 6, 7 and 9 wholeheartedly.

That's more agreement than I generally share with mainstream religions.
__________________
VintagePunk is online now  
Old 03-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #194
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:06 PM

Quote:
self-indulgent hedonists..
I would say these are Satatnist attributes, as are:
not helping the less fornunate, vengence not turning the other cheek-etc.

I wouldn't say ppl of this ilk are completely "harmless".



Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk






But my point, the relevant one, is that they by no means agree with your representation of satan, nor do they worship him, or feel it's possible for satan to "possess" someone.


Possession is a whole different topic of Satan tenets and beliefs.

We were talking about if Satan really existed or not, and many ppl in this thread claim he doesn't. I think a worshipping Satanist would beg to differ.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #195
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TranceEnding



I have no real interest or attraction to the ideals of the Church of Satan, but does anyone think these beliefs are necessarily evil ??
yes, not overtly though.

dbs
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com