Democrats Block Bush's Court Nominees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
Senate ends talkathon, not stalemate

Democrats still able to block Bush court nominees
Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, was one of the last to speak Friday before the Senate ended a nearly 40 hour session organized by Republicans to protest Democratic filibusters.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON, Nov. 14 ? Democrats succeeded Friday in blocking votes on three of President Bush?s appeals court choices, undeterred by nearly 40 hours of marathon speeches during which Republicans accused them of unfairly depriving nominees of their seats. In three successive votes, Republicans came no closer to the 60 votes needed to overcome Democratic resistance so they could hold a final confirmation vote on the candidates.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/993562.asp

I find this extremely indicative of the GOP of late. They are the schoolyard bully who whines when he doesn't get his way. Everyone uses fillibustering. I find their argument ridiculous.

I feel it's a big waste of time and our tax dollars that they keep pushing ahead with these nominations. Especially in the case of Owens, four times get a clue. The woman is to the extreme right and would be very dangerous to give such power. She's been horrible for Texas. How long will this have to go on, aren't there some productive legislation that can be voted upon?

The Democrats whinned when Clinton's nominees were stalled. Sound bite labels are spewed out for each nominee as being bad for the country. Just swap the D's and R's and you have the same story again.

Just another day in politics.

Believe me I understand that. But to label them as "unconstitutional fillibusters" and to now start questioning the process.

"During the years Republicans controlled the Senate, 45.3 percent of President Clinton's nominations to the courts of appeals were returned to the White House, a rate 72 percent higher than the 26.3 percent return rate for Presidents Reagan and Bush when Democrats controlled the Senate. (None of the returned Clinton appellate court nominees were voted down - not a single one of them was allowed to come up for a vote.)

During the final two years of Clinton's term, the blockade was even tighter, with less than half of Clinton's appeals courts nominees being confirmed. More specifically, during the 106th Congress, 56 percent of President Clinton's nominations to the courts of appeals were blocked. This failure rate for President Clinton's appeals court nominees was 60 percent higher than for Presidents Reagan or George H.W. Bush, each of whom saw only 35 percent of his appeals court nominees go unconfirmed in the 100th and 102nd Congresses, respectively."

The "unconstitutional filibusters" argument has been around for a while as it, in effect, raises the approval requirement from 50%+1 to 60%. A procedural tool trumps constitutional guidelines.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
"During the years Republicans controlled the Senate, 45.3 percent of President Clinton's nominations to the courts of appeals were returned to the White House, a rate 72 percent higher than the 26.3 percent return rate for Presidents Reagan and Bush when Democrats controlled the Senate. (None of the returned Clinton appellate court nominees were voted down - not a single one of them was allowed to come up for a vote.)

During the final two years of Clinton's term, the blockade was even tighter, with less than half of Clinton's appeals courts nominees being confirmed. More specifically, during the 106th Congress, 56 percent of President Clinton's nominations to the courts of appeals were blocked. This failure rate for President Clinton's appeals court nominees was 60 percent higher than for Presidents Reagan or George H.W. Bush, each of whom saw only 35 percent of his appeals court nominees go unconfirmed in the 100th and 102nd Congresses, respectively."

Which is why I don't give a flying fcuk about the current GOP's whining. I'm disappointed that Dubya wishes to appoint some very extremist judges. It is clear that they are less interested in the rule of law than they are about painting the country in their romanticist mold.

It's a dangerous time for all non-fanatical Christians and non-Christians alike.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom