Democracy lives! but not here. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 10-09-2004, 09:43 AM   #16
Local Time: 03:32 PM
I never knew that was how the Australian system worked. It's a very interesting concept, and I like it. However, I think that the "I'm free to do whatever" people in the US would definitely object to the compulsory voting. I can hear them now, "It's a free country..." True. And with that freedom comes the responsibility to vote. Some people aren't responsible, as we all know.

Personally, just from my life experience of living here in the US, I think that the concept of two major parties has a lot to do with the way of thinking of the culture here. It kind of demonstrates the "black and white" concept, that you're either ----- or ------, that you're not supposed to take a middle ground, or be alternative. I'm not sure where this stems from, but I've definitely experienced it. I've been heckled for what's considered as "fence-sitting" when really, I just see merits of both sides and can't really come to a decision. Like the Iraq war. I still have no definite opinion, and I've just let it go at this point.