Demand 100% Impoverished Country Debt Cancellation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BostonAnne

Refugee
OK - this is easy - click on the link and Click on ?Go? in the ?Take Action Now? box on this page.

Let me know why not because I need insight to you hesitation....

Jubilee USA Network
Countdown to Freedom from Debt campaign

July 14, 2004: 80 Days to Freedom from Debt!

Action Alert

Send a Free Fax to the US Treasury Department:
Demand that the US Government Support 100% Impoverished Country Debt Cancellation

Today, July 14, please send a free fax to the US Treasury calling on the Bush administration to support 100% multilateral debt cancellation for impoverished nations.

This fax-in day, jointly organized by Africa Action and Jubilee USA Network, is the first action of Jubilee USA Network?s three-month countdown to freedom from debt campaign, and July 14 marks 80 days until debt decision day.

To send the fax, go to:
http://capwiz.com/africaaction/issues/alert/?alertid=6125096&type=CU
Click on ?Go? in the ?Take Action Now? box on this page.

So the Treasury feels the urgency of the issues, today ? July 14 ? is the only day you can send a fax using the web-based fax system. You can continue to use the system to send an e-mail to the US Treasury and the White House if you receive this message after July 14th.

At the June G-8 summit, the Bush administration considered but failed to act on a proposal that would provide 100% cancellation of multilateral debts to impoverished nations. Send a fax and e-mail today calling on the administration to announce support for full debt cancellation in time for the upcoming October 1 meeting of rich country finance ministers in Washington.

Debt cancellation is desperately needed?this year alone, 3 million people in Africa will die due to the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Yet countries on the African continent will send an estimated $15 billion in debt service to the IMF, World Bank, and wealthy creditor nations this year.

Send a free fax and e-mail today and check Jubilee USA Network?s Countdown to Freedom from Debt campaign site for all the ways you can get involved at www.jubileeusa.org! If you want to send your own personalized fax to the US Treasury, you may fax 202-622-6415.

Neil Watkins
Outreach and Communications Coordinator
Jubilee USA Network
(202) 783-0129
www.jubileeusa.org

** Join Jubilee USA Network's once monthly news/action email list - go to http://www.stfrancisa2.com/jubileesignup.htm to sign up! **

Last edited:
Thanks, Boston Anne, for posting this here. :yes:

I clicked on the icon and sent my fax to the Treasury Dep't this afternoon, and all it took was TWO MINUTES to do!

Most of us here have been longtime supporters of the various Jubilee/Drop the Debt movements and now is NO TIME TO GIVE UP.:ohmy:

We must CONTINUE TO PUT PRESSURE on the developed countries to live up to the promises that they have made to the world's poorest nations and DROP THE DEBT of these countries so that they can use this money to educate their children, bring clean water to their communities, increase their health care systems (especially their ability to better respond to the AIDS pandemic), etc. :up:

So, I encourage ALL of us here to click on the link and let Treas. Sec. John Snow know how DEEPLY you feel about this issue.

I bet the People in the developing world would thank you! :angel: :hug:

Hi all! YES, I can't emphasize this enough. Did you all know that right now is the first time EVER that G8 nations have put 100% debt cancellation on the table! That's NEVER happened before, and Blair and Gordon really want development to be their thing next year (when they're the G8 prez). PLEASE, there has never been a better time to write your leaders, call, visit. LET THEM KNOW WE WANT THE DEBT DROPPED!

Resources (links, sample letters, contact info) as always at Bono's Angels.

:)

Cheryl

Hi all! Just making sure you've sent yer fax. Come on now, there are nearly 100 Angels! :) Let's get 100 faxes! :D :hyper:

SD

I've sent a letter to our Finance Minister in Canada and will copy it to the U.S even though I'm not American can't hurt me to tell them what I think and support this on the American end

and S.D I'm very glad to see Blair and Gordon putting Africa : development, trade , conflict resolution, HIV/AIDS etc..on the top agenda for G8 Europe is in a strong position to push this and Blair really I think understands the urgency..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom