deep inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wild_childe183

Babyface
Each and every one of us there is the secret cave of the heart. To go forward, you must go through the dark and then you will reach the light.

are you talking about a ventricle? or an atrium?

anatomy-heart.jpg

wild_childe183 said:
Each and every one of us there is the secret cave of the heart. To go forward, you must go through the dark and then you will reach the light.

"And now, I said, let me show in a figure how far our nature is enlightened or unenlightened: --Behold! human beings living in an underground cave, which has a mouth open towards the light and reaching all along the cave; here they have been from their childhood, and have their legs and necks chained so that they cannot move, and can only see before them, being prevented by the chains from turning round their heads. Above and behind them a fire is blazing at a distance, and between the fire and the prisoners there is a raised way; and you will see, if you look, a low wall built along the way, like the screen which marionette players have in front of them, over which they show the puppets. . . . And now look again, and see what will naturally follow if the prisoners are released and disabused of their error. At first, when any of them is liberated and compelled suddenly to stand up and turn his neck round and walk and look towards the light, he will suffer sharp pains; the glare will distress him, and he will be unable to see the realities of which in his former state he had seen the shadows; and then conceive some one saying to him, that what he saw before was an illusion, but that now, when he is approaching nearer to being and his eye is turned towards more real existence, he has a clearer vision, -what will be his reply? And you may further imagine that his instructor is pointing to the objects as they pass and requiring him to name them, -will he not be perplexed? Will he not fancy that the shadows which he formerly saw are truer than the objects which are now shown to him?"

Plato, from Book Seven of The Republic, "Allegory of the Cave"

gotcha now.

it's funny, i ran across another reference to the people in plato's cave in the book "Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card. In the same conversation between the two characters that mention the cave, they also mention the Maginot Line. I know how to pronounce it, but now who can tell me what it is?

ok- sorry. not to diminish your attempt to provoke people. i just basically replied the first thing that popped into my head.

elizabeth said:
ok- sorry. not to diminish your attempt to provoke people. i just basically replied the first thing that popped into my head.

lol I hope that didn't come across as being uptight about the whole thing...I thought someone would've liked to have known where it came from. When I read your first reply I laughed because it was completely unexpected....:) No hard feelings ^_^

WildHoneyChild said:

When I read your first reply I laughed because it was completely unexpected....:) No hard feelings ^_^

WHEW!

I should learn to think before i speak. or post.

but you laughed so i am fine.

now what did you want to provoke here? what kind of discussion?

i provoke you

To be honest.....I have no idea. It was just sitting in my mind. And I wanted to share it. But I have so many contradicting thoughts at this time in my life. I wonder a lot why humans have to go about things the way they do. What does it achieve? Why are people so negative sometimes? How can people give up? What does it take to make them go on? Why don't they understand? Why can't they let go? Why do they have to have their way? Why does it have to be their way or no way?

This applies to many situations I suppose...

I have this feeling sometimes like I'm here for a purpose. I just don't know what purpose yet.

I guess it was just more of a rhetorical statement (which is an oxymoron I think) but I don't know..

I think too much ^_^

Re: i provoke you

WildHoneyChild said:
Why are people so negative sometimes? How can people give up? ... I think too much ^_^

i wonder about the negativity, too. I mean, there are a billion problems in the world, and too much suffering, but it's negativity that lets those problems happen. I truly think idealism and optimism are two of the most powerful tools we have at our disposal to identify, tackle and SOLVE the problems people face.

I never thought of myself as especially optimistic until I began to recently share an office with a close friend...but we were not as close as I thought. I never knew she was such a pessimist! I thought she just faced some tough problems. Now I see how often she CREATES those problems for herself. It's like she's not happy unless she's suffering something.

That bothers me, because she's not suffering. Sure, she has her little troubles to deal with, we all do. But hers are nothing compared to the things I've been reading about lately...she's alive...and like Bono told us 6,500 people died in Africa today. That's enough to make anyone just want to go in a corner and hide.

But I think this is where your original post comes into effect. "To go forward, you must go through the dark and then you will reach the light." It's a tiny bit cliche, but just because something is cliche doesn't make it untrue.

There is nothing "action" about this post. Just me expressing my outlook toward life, and realizing that I could fall into the same trap and just complain about my friend's negativism. Negativism is contagious! Cover your hearts before you catch it, too! Instead, I try to react and act on it. I try to show her the other problems people in the world face..."OH NO," you say. "You're one of those who tries to guilt us out of our right to feel bad for ourselves." Sure, I've tried that before, but it turns into this dumb game of who has it worse. So, I show her the problems they face and THEN i show her ways to try and help! (I must admit many posts here on interference help me with this part.) And she responds...really she does. She feels better.

Maybe it has to do with feeling like we have no control over our lives. But even small things like sending letters make some people feel like they are taking ACTION and therefore having at least a chance of influencing or affecting something. And I have found through my very limited experience, that it makes people feel better about things.

It's tough, isn't it, to go through the daily routines of life when questions like the ones you've posted are tumbling around in your head?

It's tough, isn't it, to go through the daily routines of life when questions like the ones you've posted are tumbling around in your head?

I agree wholeheartedly with all that you wrote. Of course sitting here, typing my humble opinions in an online forum is not considered action. But sometimes, maybe one of these days for someone, they will be sitting down putting words to thoughts and be so inspired by what they have just written they will be encouraged into action.

And yes it is tough, for anyone I think, to go through life wondering how possible it is to set goals for a future that may not be. But thats where we, as humans, have power. lol Why not dream anyway? What have you got to lose? Absolutely nothing. And you have everything to gain. Deep down, there is hope inside. No matter the current events. And if things do fall through in the world, that loss against ourselves will have created an opportunity for a better place. We don't even need to wait for that though, because we still wield the ability to stand to action now.

^_^ I'll elaborate more later....have to run to French class!

elizabeth said:

Why not? Well, I suppose it could be considered action. Passive action to be more accurate. But its just my opinion. I'm not one to talk though because I have not contributed to human civilization. Yet. Its just when doing everyday things, that everyone does throughout their lives such as going out Saturday nights, going to school, achieving degrees, dating, having children..I feel like I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Stereotypically I am doing what I should be. But there is something deeper that is missing. I can't really find the words for it. I never have.

Back
Top Bottom