Declaration of Independence Banned at Cali School because of references to God - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:59 AM
But I think science and religion can work together. DNA is an amazing thing, but how did we get to the point where it all worked? How could everything work out the way it does on this Earth much less in the rest of the universe?

Old 11-26-2004, 11:55 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 AM
I don't know that any particular scientist is consciously out there trying to replace God; rather, society puts them on a pedestal. I mean, Jonas Salk was out to cure polio, not to get any kind of status or authority that didn't belong to him. I think we should we should all thank God for giving us someone with Dr. Salk's brains and conscience for working so hard to fight the horrible scourge of polio. We have a vaccine. Thank God I don't have to worry about the epidemics the way my own parents did when they were kids. My mother still remembers being kept inside when there was a polio epidemic in town.

Old 11-26-2004, 02:43 PM   #18
Refugee

sometimes this PC stuff reads like this sign:

Old 11-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #19
Refugee

I dunno - do you get some kind of committee together and determine what is 'appropriate literature' or not?

For example, Handel's Messiah - often referred to as a great Easter/Christmas choral work. Would we shut down the performance because of the subject matter?

http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/handel.html

I don't like it.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:47 PM   #20
Refugee

woops, wrong thread.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:54 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:59 AM
The Declaration of Independence is one of the most beautiful, expressive, and historically revolutionary pieces of literature to exist. You don't have to believe in God to love it, or even appreciate it. You can even deny that our country was founded on God all you want. I just don't understand how a difference in beliefs pisses so many people off.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:22 AM   #22
Babyface

They are going to beat this horse to death. OMG, this has been this way for years. So what if someone doesnt like it, this is america. Im so sick of people yelling " Your offensive to me yadda yadda yadda. Screw em. This really upsets me. People get a life.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:07 AM   #23
New Yorker

This is a hoax story.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:06 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
But I think science and religion can work together. DNA is an amazing thing, but how did we get to the point where it all worked? How could everything work out the way it does on this Earth much less in the rest of the universe?
I've actually been thinking this too. Well, not really science and religion, but God and science. By that I mean religion claimed that the earth was flat, not God. Religion has been proven wrong, but so has science. God and science can and should co-exist, and I honestly don't like taking sides in a God vs. Science debate as often as I do.

My problems with science are when we take out any facts or possibilities that God exists and then present a theory. That's what happened to evolution. I think the basic principles of it might be true, but coming from monkeys seems funny to me. If that's the case, why do monkeys still exist? Shouldn't they have "turned human" by now? I guess we'll never know until we allow there to be a possibility that God exists.

Personally, I want to live to see the most powerful telescopes, microscopes, technology, whatever we got. I just think like the Parkers - with great power comes great responsibility. Therefore, we should use science for good in the world. We should use it to help people, and we should also use it for discovering how this planet functions. None of this has to withdrawl God in any way.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:22 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
This is a hoax story.
It would be nice if it was. Too bad the separation militants are all too real.

Here is the law suit

See paragraph 40 of the complaint.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:57 PM   #26
The Fly

Principal Vlidmar should be fired immediately. She's an imbecile and does not belong, least of all in the educational system.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:34 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

question for NBC: why are you using the phrase "Christ and State" and not "Church and State"? what's your angle here?

just curious.

sounds like this Christian teacher ought to get himself a good liberal trial lawyer, the kind that are bogging down our courts with frivilous lawsuits ...
Old 11-29-2004, 08:53 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
question for NBC: why are you using the phrase "Christ and State" and not "Church and State"? what's your angle here?

just curious.
Application of the concept of "separation of church and state" is far more often applied to Christian beliefs, while simultaneously ignoring other religious beliefs and symbols.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
sounds like this Christian teacher ought to get himself a good liberal trial lawyer, the kind that are bogging down our courts with frivilous lawsuits ...
I would doubt that the teachers in this forum would consider the matter of selective curriculum review as "frivolous".
Old 11-29-2004, 08:59 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Application of the concept of "separation of church and state" is far more often applied to Christian beliefs, while simultaneously ignoring other religious beliefs and symbols.
This is very true. I rarely hear anything that slams the Jews who still believe in God. Nor do I want to.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:59 AM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:59 AM
We have those that are trying too hard to force God into our governments and schools. We have those that are trying too hard to force God out of our governments and schools. Someone's pushing on this side, someone's pushing on the opposite side therefore no movement will occur and the preasure will eventually make the contents inside explode.