Decent Article on Gay Marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anthony

Refugee
In the wake of President Bush's inaugural speech, there has been a plethora of columns written about it, of course.

Despite being more right-wing than left-wing (at least, in its economics), I have still always felt that 'The Economist' was relatively informative and presented its opinions in a pertinent manner (which is more than I can say for most magazines); hence my endless subscription.

Anyhow, I think they raise some pretty good points in tackling Mr. Bush's stance on the issue of gay marriage. 'Let them Wed' is pretty good too.

The Case for Gay Marriage

Let Them Wed

Ant.

I simply don't get why anyone would give a rats ass about other people's desire to marry. If two consenting adults wish to marry, well, great! Permitting secular gay marriages wouldn't require religious organisations to recognise them. Catholics don't recognise certain marriages that the state does either -- and the state doesn't force them to either. I can't see why gay marriages should be any different.

I particularly agreed with this quote from the article:

Indeed, in America the constitution expressly bans the involvement of the state in religious matters, so it would be especially outrageous if the constitution were now to be used for religious ends.

That's a big part of what is so irritating about Busk and his cronies push to make a constitutional ammendment banning gay marriage. What a foolish thing to put in the constitution anyway!

That's right, we Catholics don't always recognize civil marriage, and we don't have to. It's not like anyone is being forced to recognize anything that they aren't already.

Back
Top Bottom