December 7, 1941

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
God bless all Americans who fought that day under such incredibly difficult circumstances!

the iron horse said:
I always have the date on the board in class
along with the daily agenda.

Today December 7, 1941 was on the board.

I waited until a few student noticed and then explained
why.

We had a few good discussions today.

I teach language arts in a public middle school.

Article on how many no longer remember:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...l07dec07,0,7158691.story?coll=sfla-news-front

That is EXCELLENT! This is always a day of remembrance for me because I have some family members and friends who fought in WWII who are no longer with us, and I always remember them and what happened on this day....as well I have a very good friend of mine whose mother's birthday was on this day and we always would celebrate her birthday as a mini Christmas the last few years as she was fighting colon cancer.

STING2 said:
God bless all Americans who fought that day under such incredibly difficult circumstances!

I bet you're praying for another one. It wold give you a great big HARD ON wouldn't it? I mean be honest.

"I bet you're praying for another one. It wold give you a great big HARD ON wouldn't it? I mean be honest."

That's a below the belt hit financeguy.
*not something i would think from you*

What are you really saying?

:ohmy:

the iron horse said:
"I bet you're praying for another one. It wold give you a great big HARD ON wouldn't it? I mean be honest."

That's a below the belt hit financeguy.
*not something i would think from you*

What are you really saying?

:ohmy:

Well STING'2s main contributions to the forum are thoughts about war, discussions about war etc. It is not unreasonable to conclude that he has some kind of obsessive interest in the subject.

financeguy said:

Well STING'2s main contributions to the forum are thoughts about war, discussions about war etc. It is not unreasonable to conclude that he has some kind of obsessive interest in the subject.

Would it be fair to say you have some type of obsessive or uncontrolable interest in making absurd personal remarks about other members of the forum in violation of the faq/rules you agreed to abide by when becoming a member of this forum?

in a different light, pearl harbour was a GOOD thing.

it was the final push to help the united states get involved entirely in the war effort.

but it came at a terrible price, indeed.

amazing, 1941...64 years already.

STING2 said:
Would it be fair to say you have some type of obsessive or uncontrolable interest in making absurd personal remarks about other members of the forum in violation of the faq/rules you agreed to abide by when becoming a member of this forum?

financeguy also violated Resolution 1441. Go for it!

financeguy said:

I think that´s because STING2 grew up in a family whose members have been proud to serve the US Army (or Navy). To imply that he thinks war is sexy.. well, I think STING2 has never served in war (not sure however.. I also think U2Bama served in Iraq, but I forgot). So while he may be blinded by the inhumane propaganda of the US administration, while he may push for US interventions anywhere he believes it fits while babies are bombed by Bush, it is *kinda* natural that there is a certain affection for weapons and tactics, culminating in a distorted world view.

:eyebrow: Well, that's more polite than what fg wrote, but a bit condescending, isn't it? I have colleagues who are military historians and have a "certain affection for weapons and tactics"; and I have friends who are from military families; my own brother served in the Air Force in Afghanistan; and none of them hold any one, predictable collective view, on this war or others. I think it's reductionist and patronizing to explain someone's political views by who their parents were or are.

yolland said:
I think it's reductionist and patronizing to explain someone's political views by who their parents were or are.

I don´t think so. A family, dad, mom, relatives with who you grow up, will define your moral values. Sure, you can change values yourself when you are an adult. I´m not meaning to be reductionist, just pointing out that the way you grow up shapes your future world view.

No doubt that families whose members "serve the country" may as well be totally opposed to war, since the fathers have seen all the inhumane cruelties of war, had to kill people, commit crimes, watch soldiers torture civilians and their best buddy got shot right in front of their eyes.

However, STING2 supports the war against Iraq and (according to his posts) still thinks that every single American intervention on foreign soil was just and noble. Well, if someone is that opinion, he also should be prepared to be criticised for it.

And is there not legitimate room from criticism about ill-formed peace? We can post pictures of dead Iraqi babies for days but by the numbers I simply cannot see how more suffering was caused by deposing Saddam with military force :|

Internal revolution was not going to happen - the chance of that died following the Gulf War when the world stood by to slaughter. The attempt to orchestate a coup failed miserably and following Saddam only closed in his inner circle. There would not be change until he died and that would probably take quite a while.

Soft dictatorship was also an implausible situation as the regime excercised full control over the population with whatever means it could, be it the secret police or starvation. The mass graves are being dug up every damn day and the numbers keep pushing up into the higher hundreds of thousands, estimates are being given of over one million victims, a good share of those (the post 1991 ones) were the price of peace.

The dichotomy between an apparently brutally violent war with massive civilian casualties that are inflicted indiscrimiately and some sort of sustainable peace through containment seems flawed. Innocent people have died because of the decision that Bush, Blair, Howard etc. made, a significant burden of civilian death rests on their shoulders, but in the absence of deposing Saddam so many more people would have been killed, where does that burden lie? on the dictator himself or those that would have seen him continue the slaughter.

capt.wxs13412072359.pearl_harbor_anniversary__wxs134.jpg

capt.njjm10212071908.pearl_harbor_memorial_njjm102.jpg

The more I have learned about Pearl Harbor......
Well, let's just say that I have a different view then most.

I respect the effort that coutnless people have exerted over the years to give me the incredible standard of living I now have. I suppose my grattitude for that is eternal. I think everyone should know about Dec 7.

But they should know everything about it, too, not just that America was attacked by "the Japs".

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

I think that´s because STING2 grew up in a family whose members have been proud to serve the US Army (or Navy). To imply that he thinks war is sexy.. well, I think STING2 has never served in war (not sure however.. I also think U2Bama served in Iraq, but I forgot). So while he may be blinded by the inhumane propaganda of the US administration, while he may push for US interventions anywhere he believes it fits while babies are bombed by Bush, it is *kinda* natural that there is a certain affection for weapons and tactics, culminating in a distorted world view.

Have you read the faq/rules? Do you understand what it means to refrain from making personal remarks about other people in the forum?

Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

It's sad that this thread has turned into something else. Several members have posted some concrete thoughts/images on 12/7/1941. Thank you.

I'm breaking the rule here also by responding to this statement:

"while he may push for US interventions anywhere he believes it fits while babies are bombed by Bush"

I did not vote for Bush, but that statement justs irks of hyperbole.

Please post where President Bush has ordered the bombing of babies. War is hell, I agree, but where are the facts on Bush being a baby killer?

*I'm just a Libertarian fool*

If you want to see pictures of dead babies, I'm sure you'll be able to find some for where Saddam bombed the Kurds in 1988 with mustard gas - his own people. That would be like the Prez bombing California :(

I think the US needs to stop being the "peace police" for all these other countries and begin focusing on their own people for once.

Sting I tip my hat to you!

I do not know how you continue to keep your cool.
My only hope is that at some point in time there will be some kind of public response to the abuse you take by others in the forum.

Peace

on the other side of the coin, i find it absolutely amazing that anyone can keep their cool when talking with sting2 at times.

Well I wouldn't try to censor them, its much more a reflection upon the critic especially when they are repeat offenders.

And that has more to do with the individual making the outrageous statements than the actions of the target (in most cases).

A_Wanderer said:
And that has more to do with the individual making the outrageous statements than the actions of the target (in most cases).

Outrageous statements have become as commonplace as salt on french fries. There are times when I see FYM as a collection of caricatures going through their ritual dance.

Too bad it has to include personal attacks.

Back
Top Bottom