Death For Blasphemy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Well sure many have been killed by "nuts" but this time around it's going through a genuine legal system
Yemeni prosecutors have called for a newspaper editor to be sentenced to death for showing cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad, his paper says.

Muhammad al-Asadi was arrested after his publication, the Yemen Observer, showed the Danish cartoons in February.

He denies the charges of offending Islam, under which he is being tried.

The English-language newspaper has had its licence to publish suspended, although its staff have continued to produce material online.

Prosecutors reportedly requested that the Yemen Observer be closed permanently and have its property and assets confiscated.

The paper's website reported that the prosecution lawyers cited precedents from Muslim history when the prophet was insulted by a woman and then praised her killer.
link

There is no God and Mohammed heard voices.

:yikes:

Mocking a madman who died 14 centuries ago versus killing people - really cant see how equally could possibly exist even as a lower threshold.

The only people that I am sorry for offending are the mentally ill by having to be lumped with the religious.

Im turning militant :macdevil:

As I suggested before if one wanted to they could make a cartoon of Jesus raping Mary, or being sodomised by Joseph and while it would offend Christians and to a degree Muslims it would not really get a terrific rise, offensive trash certainly - artistic merit zilch - cultural value none, in fact it would be anti-cultural in value. But such a piece of Garbage would still be protected speech, likewise with depictions of Mohammed there is sweet fuck all obligation to abide by religious edicts for a religion that I think is profoundly wrong. If my deeply held beliefs are theatened then I have the right to protest, everyone should have that right, and it extends to protecting a belief in free speech and opposition to religious intervention in law by supporting blasphemy.

This MoToon business (even though the cartoons were for the most part bland) illustrates where the real margins of free speech exist in the western world today (the Islamic world is simpler, there is no margin and journalists have been arrested) - I may just get a T-Shirt.

"Blasphemy - Now 25% More Punishable By Death" with a few pictures, maybe Mohammed with a bomb, piss Christ with that Mary covered in dung piece to boot.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I consider Mohammed a madman. He was a very successful merchant of ideas. But there's no excuse for this barbaric reaction to these cartoons, even though I consider the cartoons in bad taste. There's no reason to kill anyone over it.

verte76 said:
I'm not sure I consider Mohammed a madman. He was a very successful merchant of ideas. But there's no excuse for this barbaric reaction to these cartoons, even though I consider the cartoons in bad taste. There's no reason to kill anyone over it.

If you separated the religious aspect of Mohammed from his other behavior, I'm not sure you would get "mad man" but you may well describe him as "conquering warlord".

nbcrusader said:

If you separated the religious aspect of Mohammed from his other behavior, I'm not sure you would get "mad man" but you may well describe him as "conquering warlord".

True. He became the most powerful man in Arabia by uniting the Arabic tribes militarily.

And all that makes sense in the context of his life and times, as does the whole Aisha thing so it would be wrong to call him a paedophile.

I am very worried about those who percieve hallucinations as divine visions.

Back
Top Bottom