Dean's out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's sad that the media has so much power in this-it seems to me they built him up only to tear him down. Certainly there were several other factors at play, and he bears some of the responsibility.

But they completely blew that screaming thing out of proportion-granted, it was very funny, but they twisted it into something important when I really don't believe it was at all in the grand scheme of things. I saw a TV report that explained why it sounded much louder and crazier than it actually was, due to the set-up of the microphones.

I'm naive enough to still wish people could/would be elected on their merits rather than a media created and manipulated circus.

Last edited:
Nice post MrsSpringsteen. :)

I just remember staring in absolute disbelief that a candidate saying "yeaaaah" in a speech could seriously decide the outcome of an election. It's insanity.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think it's sad that the media has so much power in this-it seems to me they built him up only to tear him down. Certainly there were several other factors at play, and he bears some of the responsibility.

But they completely blew that screaming thing out of proportion-granted, it was very funny, but they twisted it into something important when I really don't believe it was at all in the grand scheme of things. I actually saw a TV report that explained why it sounded much louder and crazier than it actually was, due to the set-up of the microphones.

I'm naive enough to still wish people could/would be elected on their merits rather than a media created and manipulated circus.

I agree with you about the media but from a different perspective. The media built him up for months but when voting time came in Iowa the people spoke and he lost, so then the media realized they screwed up big time assuming the whole country would love Dean and the media saw his speech and jumped on it to make him look like a freak and to basically get him out of the race. So yes the media is a very scary 'thing' where they can build up a candidate for their own agenda but what's more scary to me is they can knock a guy down in literally a day.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Issues and merits don't make for a good product to sell. Media, who will scream they are objective until they are blue in the face, only want to craft a product to sell.

I agree, they blew Dean's "scream speech" up totally out of proportion to its importance. But that's the media. They're out to sell newspapers and magazines and commercials and every other damn thing. Politics is a circus.

Campaign outcome aside, Dean did the Democratic party a lot of good by getting in early and exciting people. We've not seen the last of Dr. Dean, I'm sure.

najeena said:
Campaign outcome aside, Dean did the Democratic party a lot of good by getting in early and exciting people. We've not seen the last of Dr. Dean, I'm sure.

Absolutely. I agree. He got alot of people interested in the race who wouldn't have given a damn otherwise. He's going to start an organization of people to give the government hell if they break their promises. More power to him. In a democracy leaders must be challenged, and he did it, and will continue to do so.

Dean had hype, not substance, and I frankly wouldn't have voted for him because I don't think he's electable. When push came to shove, the numbers spoke for themselves.

You can't blame the "Scream" on his downfall. That scream came AFTER he came in fourth place in the Iowa caucus -- a caucus that he was expected to win by a landslide. And he lost by wide margins after that.

He did bring some good issues up and I feel bad for my cousin who worked his ass off for Dean's campaign, but it just didn't have the final push it needed to get Dean a win.

I didn't think Dean was electable either. But I think he did some good, bringing people into the process. In the end the electability thing sank him, people picked others who are more electable. Kerry has substance *and* competitive fire, Edwards has substance *and* charisma.

NBC, sad but true. *sigh*

Dear Dr. Dean,

I'd like to thank you! We didn't elect you, for a lot of reasons, some of which are valid and some that probably have more to do with the media and selling an image than anything else. But what you did for the Democracts, no one else was willing to do. You spoke up before anyone else. You can us our backbone back. You inspired people who were never interested in politics before, something every poltician says he does but few actually accomplish. You raised money in a populist way. When we beat Bush in Novmeber, whether it be President Edwards or President Kerry who does it, you will be largely to credit. May your stamp be left on your party for decades to come.

:)

SD

Back
Top Bottom