Dean's out! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:23 PM
Dean's out!

He just anounced it.

Thoughts?

Old 02-18-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

WE'RE GOING HOME!!! WE'RE GOING TO BED!!! WE'RE GOING TO SLEEP IN!!! WE'RE GOING TO MAKE WAFFLES IN THE MORNIN'!!! ARRRRRAAAGHHHHH

Old 02-18-2004, 02:17 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Old 02-18-2004, 02:34 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

omg LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old 02-18-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's sad that the media has so much power in this-it seems to me they built him up only to tear him down. Certainly there were several other factors at play, and he bears some of the responsibility.

But they completely blew that screaming thing out of proportion-granted, it was very funny, but they twisted it into something important when I really don't believe it was at all in the grand scheme of things. I saw a TV report that explained why it sounded much louder and crazier than it actually was, due to the set-up of the microphones.

I'm naive enough to still wish people could/would be elected on their merits rather than a media created and manipulated circus.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:10 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Nice post MrsSpringsteen.

I just remember staring in absolute disbelief that a candidate saying "yeaaaah" in a speech could seriously decide the outcome of an election. It's insanity.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:16 PM   #7
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I think it's sad that the media has so much power in this-it seems to me they built him up only to tear him down. Certainly there were several other factors at play, and he bears some of the responsibility.

But they completely blew that screaming thing out of proportion-granted, it was very funny, but they twisted it into something important when I really don't believe it was at all in the grand scheme of things. I actually saw a TV report that explained why it sounded much louder and crazier than it actually was, due to the set-up of the microphones.

I'm naive enough to still wish people could/would be elected on their merits rather than a media created and manipulated circus.
I agree with you about the media but from a different perspective. The media built him up for months but when voting time came in Iowa the people spoke and he lost, so then the media realized they screwed up big time assuming the whole country would love Dean and the media saw his speech and jumped on it to make him look like a freak and to basically get him out of the race. So yes the media is a very scary 'thing' where they can build up a candidate for their own agenda but what's more scary to me is they can knock a guy down in literally a day.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:48 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

well a guy sighing has already helped shape an election, so why should screaming like a raving lunitic be any different?
Old 02-18-2004, 03:58 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Issues and merits don't make for a good product to sell. Media, who will scream they are objective until they are blue in the face, only want to craft a product to sell.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:38 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I agree, they blew Dean's "scream speech" up totally out of proportion to its importance. But that's the media. They're out to sell newspapers and magazines and commercials and every other damn thing. Politics is a circus.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:07 PM   #11
War Child

Campaign outcome aside, Dean did the Democratic party a lot of good by getting in early and exciting people. We've not seen the last of Dr. Dean, I'm sure.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:30 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
Campaign outcome aside, Dean did the Democratic party a lot of good by getting in early and exciting people. We've not seen the last of Dr. Dean, I'm sure.
Absolutely. I agree. He got alot of people interested in the race who wouldn't have given a damn otherwise. He's going to start an organization of people to give the government hell if they break their promises. More power to him. In a democracy leaders must be challenged, and he did it, and will continue to do so.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:37 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

I thought he made a good speech announcing he's not seeking the nomination anymore.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:00 PM   #14
New Yorker

Dean had hype, not substance, and I frankly wouldn't have voted for him because I don't think he's electable. When push came to shove, the numbers spoke for themselves.

You can't blame the "Scream" on his downfall. That scream came AFTER he came in fourth place in the Iowa caucus -- a caucus that he was expected to win by a landslide. And he lost by wide margins after that.

He did bring some good issues up and I feel bad for my cousin who worked his ass off for Dean's campaign, but it just didn't have the final push it needed to get Dean a win.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:07 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't think Dean was electable either. But I think he did some good, bringing people into the process. In the end the electability thing sank him, people picked others who are more electable. Kerry has substance *and* competitive fire, Edwards has substance *and* charisma.