Dean Urges Dems to Court Pro-Life Voters - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2005, 11:09 AM   #76
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
maybe because it's a purely emotional issue that gets some people frothing at the mouth with self-righteous indignation, and that a real culture of life involves much harder things like universal health care and free quality day care and living wages for working people.
Right - but why does the left so easily dismiss all of the pro-life people as emotional, anti-science, etc...

If the Democratic party is going to start courting, the constant attacks on the pro-lifers by the far left will have to cease.

Don't see it happening.
__________________

__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 07-25-2005, 11:19 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511



i also think you're making huge, huge sweeping statements about a "worldwide consensus" -- my father is a doctor, and i know that he hasn't reached that consensus yet and is unaware that such a position exists. i do think the science is complex, and often in the eye of the beholder, and as such i take a rather agnostic approach. from a layman's perspective, i have a very, very difficult time seeing how a fertalized egg is the equivalent of a breathing, crying, eating, pooping baby. it doesn't make any rational sense.
Is your father an embryologist? The claim I made was about embryologists.

And it may make no rational sense to you, but it does to me, and neither of us are doctors.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


we have a different understanding of the issue rooted in our different views on life. i don't mean this to come across as patronizing, but it probably will: you tend to see the world in very black-and-white terms, and as such abortion is either murder or it is not. i see a very, very grey world, and i see abortion as a symptom of a much greater problem and i see the science of the fetus as very murky indeed.
Actually, that didn't come across as patronizing at all. It's pretty much an accurate statement.
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-25-2005, 11:28 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax


I called your position self-righteous. I didn't say anything about you, personally.
How can a "self-righteous" remark not reflect on the person who made it? The key word is "self". A person who makes a "self-righteous" remark does so because he feels he is "righteous".

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
I couldn't possibly care less that you made a remark about me wearing glasses (I mean, there they are, right there in my avatar, for everyone to see), but I do care that you felt the need to toss off a witty remark rather than address what I said. Like I said, I expected better from you.
I didn't know you wear glasses. I don't pay attention to people's avatars unless it's something really strange. I wear contacts most of the time because my glasses are bottle-thick. When I was growing up, I was called "4 Eyes" all the time. I wouldn't make fun of anyone wearing glasses. If you thought I was insulting you, I'm sorry, but I want you to know I wasn't.

I didn't just make a witty remark without addressing what you said. In that evry same post, I also asked you where I said what you accused me of saying. Do you not consider that addressing what you said?

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
And you did, in your post, make a pretty strong implication that a vote based at least part on economic concerns rather than a candidate's position on abortion is, in your opinion, a vote against the concern for quality and dignity of human life.

So, yes, I stand by what I said.
That's what you read into it, Pax. That's not what I said. I said nothing about the values of those who voted Democrat.

But now please address my question to you. If someone posed the question in an "economics vs. abortion" context, how else could I answer the question, unless in that same "economics vs. abortion" context?
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-25-2005, 11:32 AM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris


Right - but why does the left so easily dismiss all of the pro-life people as emotional, anti-science, etc...

If the Democratic party is going to start courting, the constant attacks on the pro-lifers by the far left will have to cease.

Don't see it happening.


it might have something to do with the techniques of many pro-lifers -- from the fringe shooting doctors, to the constant protesting outside of abortion clinics, to the screams of "baby killer."

i suppose i don't see an equivalent on the Left. i think they might be guilty of painting all pro-lifers/anti-choicers with one brush, and i do think there are more nuanced arguments presented by the pro-life/anti-choice crowd. i really do. but i don't see the rigidity of understanding on the Left that i do on the Right. as 80s agreed, he sees it as a simple issue: it is murder. whereas the Left (as it always does ... often to it's political detriment) embraces a million-and-one interpretations of the issue, and they make the issue about *choice* -- as in, let women decide what to do with their pregnancies, and God (or whomever) will sort out the rest.

i also think you're wrong about the Dems.

just look at HRC's masterful triangulation of the issue earlier this year, calling abortion a "tragic choice" and that the goal should be to work towards a world where there are no abortions.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 07-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax
Also, fwiw, embryologists and other scientists are not, as you state, in perfect agreement over when life starts.

See http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_when.htm for some other perspectives.

I believe this question is absolutely impossible for human beings to fully answer.
For the record, I didn't say "perfect agreement", I said consensus. But the web site you linked to actually supports what I said:

"There is a near consensus that at, or shortly after conception, a zygote or pre-embryo -- popularly called a fertilized ovum -- is a form of human life. The zygote is "...is biologically alive. It fulfills the four criteria needed to establish biological life:
metabolism,
growth,
reaction to stimuli, and
reproduction.

Its reproductive ability is only demonstrated in about on in 250 births, when it reproduces itself through twinning. This can happen at any time up to about 14 days after conception. This is how mono-zygotic (identical) twins are caused.

An embryo is also a form of human life.

A fetus is still another, more developed, form of human life.

A newborn baby is both a form of human life and a human person."
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-25-2005, 11:39 AM   #81
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax


I believe you are completely missing the point. Economic issues are not just about economics! People don't vote on economic issues because of some kind of abiding academic interest in the issues; they vote on those issues because they believe they will have a positive effect on the quality of human life.

I'm saying that votes for certain economic principles show a deep concern for human life.
see above.
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 07-25-2005, 11:40 AM   #82
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 12:56 AM
Quote:

For the record, I didn't say "perfect agreement", I said consensus. But the web site you linked to actually supports what I said:

"There is a near consensus that at, or shortly after conception, a zygote or pre-embryo -- popularly called a fertilized ovum -- is a form of human life. The zygote is "...is biologically alive. It fulfills the four criteria needed to establish biological life:
metabolism,
growth,
reaction to stimuli, and
reproduction.

Its reproductive ability is only demonstrated in about on in 250 births, when it reproduces itself through twinning. This can happen at any time up to about 14 days after conception. This is how mono-zygotic (identical) twins are caused.

An embryo is also a form of human life.

A fetus is still another, more developed, form of human life.

A newborn baby is both a form of human life and a human person."


It says that, aye, but it also gives a variety of different religious and secular viewpoints as to when life begins.
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 07-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
An embryo is also a form of human life.

A fetus is still another, more developed, form of human life.

A newborn baby is both a form of human life and a human person."


so can you murder human life?

or is murder the intentional killing of a human person?
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 07-25-2005, 11:47 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511



so can you murder human life?

or is murder the intentional killing of a human person?
The only time I believe killing a human is right is in self-defense or in defense of others. Although I don't support the death penalty, I only oppose it because the system is open to failure, and innocent people do get executed. If that never happened, and I somehow knew it for 100% fact, I might support the death penalty, to make sure that murderers and rapists don't escape and kill and rape others. But that's academic, because the system will never be fail-proof, and therfore, I will always be anti-death penalty.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #85
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


The only time I believe killing a human is right is in self-defense or in defense of others. Although I don't support the death penalty, I only oppose it because the system is open to failure, and innocent people do get executed. If that never happened, and I somehow knew it for 100% fact, I might support the death penalty, to make sure that murderers and rapists don't escape and kill and rape others. But that's academic, because the system will never be fail-proof, and therfore, I will always be anti-death penalty.


but that's not the question.

the website made a distinction between "human life" and "a human person."

therefore, since you think abortion is murder, is the abortion of a "human life" a murder if it is distinguished from "a human person"?

my guess is that while abortion might (and i say *might* because we're testing out arguments here) be the ending of human life, it is not the murder of a human person.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 07-25-2005, 12:22 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




but that's not the question.

the website made a distinction between "human life" and "a human person."

therefore, since you think abortion is murder, is the abortion of a "human life" a murder if it is distinguished from "a human person"?

my guess is that while abortion might (and i say *might* because we're testing out arguments here) be the ending of human life, it is not the murder of a human person.
Oh I understand the question now.

No, I don't think it's right to murder a "human life", because I believe that a human life is a human, whether it's considered a "human person" or not.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-25-2005, 12:26 PM   #87
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Oh I understand the question now.

No, I don't think it's right to murder a "human life", because I believe that a human life is a human, whether it's considered a "human person" or not.


no -- not whether or not it's okay to murder "human life" (as distinguished from "a human person") but whether or not it can be conceived of as murder at all since the fetus is by definition *not* a person.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 07-25-2005, 12:30 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




no -- not whether or not it's okay to murder "human life" (as distinguished from "a human person") but whether or not it can be conceived of as murder at all since the fetus is by definition *not* a person.

well, one of the definitions of "person" is living human.

I'd say that it can be considered murder, and should be, even if the fetus is considered a "human life" rather than "human person", the term "human" being key word.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-25-2005, 12:37 PM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest



well, one of the definitions of "person" is living human.

I'd say that it can be considered murder, and should be, even if the fetus is considered a "human life" rather than "human person", the term "human" being key word.


so, following this further ... a person must be living and human, but something that is living and human is not, then, necessarily a person. and also, it's not "a human life" but "human life."

what i suppose i'm saying is that if this website makes a distinction, then shouldn't we treat "human life" as different from "a human person"? why would we apply the same rules to both? aren't distinctions there for a reason?
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 07-25-2005, 01:29 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




so, following this further ... a person must be living and human, but something that is living and human is not, then, necessarily a person. and also, it's not "a human life" but "human life."
I am confused now...

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
what i suppose i'm saying is that if this website makes a distinction, then shouldn't we treat "human life" as different from "a human person"? why would we apply the same rules to both? aren't distinctions there for a reason?
I don't know why there is a dinstinction between "human life" and "human person", so I'm not really sure if I beleive it. As I said, one of the definitions of "person" is "a living human". That may not be how the medical world defines it, however, so I just don't know.

But it makes no difference to me, because the way I see it, a "human life" is a "human that's living", and therefore abortion is murder.
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com