Dateline's "To catch a Predator" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2007, 12:27 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
If only for making potential perpetrators think twice such a show could be a good thing.
But the people who are sex addicts are going to sooner or later try to visit a 13 year old girl for sex whether or not they see the show. Also, it wouldn't be fair to these people who in order to stop future "potential perpetrators," which I don't think really works. I mean, ever since the show started, there are still so many pedophiles who arrive every time Dateline sets up the sting operation. And I also think that these decoy's sometimes make regular people into potential perpetrators by luring men. I'm not saying these men are innocent, but I think the sting operation sometimes makes ordinary men into potential perpetrators because these men.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:11 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
And yes, I agree, I hate to see someone's life ruined like that also. Even though a lot of cases are of guys who are addicts. Some of the guys just happen to be surfing and happen to come accross a chat with someone whom they think is a 13 year old girl looking for sex. Its sad because some of these guys are just regular guys with families and children of their own, but they just couldn't control their sexual desires.
I'm somebody who believes that people with addictions belong in rehab, not jail.

But sometimes maybe jail is a preferred option. I was watching this one episode, and they caught this young Marine who had been in Iraq and was due to be sent back. When busted, he seemed to have full knowledge of the show, how it worked and what was going to happen. When Hansen said 'so you've been to Iraq what's your next assignment?' and he said 'looks like jail for me!' He didn't seem all that upset. Maybe, just maybe, he was so afraid of going back to Iraq he allowed himself to be suckered, even though he thought it might be that show, because going to jail would get him out of Iraq and he felt safer that way?

Old 08-09-2007, 02:55 AM   #18
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 01:00 PM
I agree about rehab as well. I think its about time we start doign something to address the problem rather then amping it up into a freak show.

Nothing about this, both ways sits right with me
Old 08-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
I can't believe the stupidity of the 'predators'. I have a hard time believing they're all that dangerous if they're that dumb. I think they're just pathetic losers, usually old and fat or young and weird looking, who can't score any other way and for some reason have overblown egos and self esteem, or insanity, to believe these 'lol' girls are really interested.

I do kinda hate to see someone's life ruined on national TV though when he never even followed through with the 'act'.
Firstly, they are predators. Please don't use quote marks to indicate it's a false label. It isn't, and they are. CAll a spade a spade. Secondly, they are dangerous. They may not carry guns, and they may not be bright, but they are emotionally manipulative and are criminals. Their physical selves, be it fat or old or weird looking ir irrelevent. This is not about dorkiness. This isn't about socially incapable ordinary people. They might be as well, but many people are socially incapable and still law abiding and are in no way interested in pursuing teenagers and children for sex. Keep reminding yourself that they are criminals and these are criminal acts. Thirdly, your last comment is almost too much. You need to get familiar with the Acts pertaining to paedophilia, etc. You hate to see someone's life ruined? What is this, buddy? Feel sympathy if you must, but no amount of sympathy can erase their actions and the very clear intent - which is a crime. Remember, criminal act. Please keep repeating it.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 AM   #20
Jesus Online

Quote:
Also, I don't know how they can get a conviction to hold up in court for these reasons:

First, since the 'child' they were supposedly coming to have sex with was actually a decoy over 18, how are they actually guilty of soliciting an underage kid online? It was a setup, there was no kid, and they never did anything to nonexistent kid.

Second, how can you positively prove, if they don't admit it, that the AIM messages came from that guy? Even if you trace the IP, even if you could trace it all the way to his own room, that is still no absolute proof he was the one who typed the words. It could possibly have been someone else, a friend, relative, burglar who broke in. There is heavy reasonable doubt IMO.
Firstly, their ignorance is no loophole for their clear intent. Scouting for minors for the purpose of intitiating sex is illegal.

Secondly, burden of proof. There's numerous ways a prosecutor could argue this, but essentially if it is your computer, in your room, in an internet account under your name you have essentially proved that the defendant is the person who lives in that room, pays for that account and uses that computer. That is beyond reasonable doubt.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:42 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:

I'm somebody who believes that people with addictions belong in rehab, not jail.

But sometimes maybe jail is a preferred option. I was watching this one episode, and they caught this young Marine who had been in Iraq and was due to be sent back. When busted, he seemed to have full knowledge of the show, how it worked and what was going to happen. When Hansen said 'so you've been to Iraq what's your next assignment?' and he said 'looks like jail for me!' He didn't seem all that upset. Maybe, just maybe, he was so afraid of going back to Iraq he allowed himself to be suckered, even though he thought it might be that show, because going to jail would get him out of Iraq and he felt safer that way?
Aren't there ways of getting caught in a criminal act and doing jail time to get out of military service that don't involve having to knock on your neighbors' doors for the rest of your life to tell them you're a sex offender?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Firstly, they are predators. Please don't use quote marks to indicate it's a false label. It isn't, and they are. CAll a spade a spade. Secondly, they are dangerous. They may not carry guns, and they may not be bright, but they are emotionally manipulative and are criminals. Their physical selves, be it fat or old or weird looking ir irrelevent. This is not about dorkiness. This isn't about socially incapable ordinary people. They might be as well, but many people are socially incapable and still law abiding and are in no way interested in pursuing teenagers and children for sex. Keep reminding yourself that they are criminals and these are criminal acts. Thirdly, your last comment is almost too much. You need to get familiar with the Acts pertaining to paedophilia, etc. You hate to see someone's life ruined? What is this, buddy? Feel sympathy if you must, but no amount of sympathy can erase their actions and the very clear intent - which is a crime. Remember, criminal act. Please keep repeating it.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #23
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Local Time: 08:00 PM
just a side note regarding the (" ") that I used when I started the thread, I used those around the word predator due to it being straight from the show, I agree they are predators, however I was quoting the show at the time of that comment.

Anyway, I have to agree that I don't feel bad about these people showing they've ruined their lives on National TV. I have however been wondering...seeing as how they're walking in to a false situation which turns out to be a TV news/show, don't they have to sign some sort of waiver in the end to show their faces and share their names or something? I mean it's not the actuall 10 o'clock news....so what's the legality with that? I was just surprised and not upset, but at how their identities really weren't hidden. I guess it's a good thing in a way, and now thinking back to it, I dont' remember if their names were really given out, but I know their screen names were. Granted Im sure if they were to try something like this again on the net they'd change their screen names, but still. I just think that someday if a re-run's on and a kids home from school and they're flipping channels....HEY THERE"S DAD! oh...wait......huh??????!!!

anyway, they got themselves in to the mess and honestly if Chris Hansen wants to wants to take a jab at them or embarrass them a little....let him. They deserve to be jabbed at. Even at that, when any of them have asked him if they could leave he lets them. He doesnt make them sit there and endure it. One guy saw the camera's and asked him right away, Can I leave? He said yes. The guy knew the cops were outside but he didn't want to sit in the room with the cameras, so Hansen let him go.

What bothered me even more was the guy who was butt naked never adjusted his towel once the camera's came out. Hansen told him to wrap the towel around him and to sit down. The guy wrapped it over his lap and that was it. Now why the hell would you not wrap it around your entire self?????? The camera's kept having to blur out the back of the chair. Even jump up and adjust it man!! gez.....
Old 08-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I've wondered the same thing about the predators appearing on television. Can they say, "No."?

I've also wondered how close the show comes to entrapment. Not that these guys aren't out to pick up underage kids but does Dateline ever make the first invitation? Can that be considered entrapment in court? I don't watch the show regularly but do they follow up with the men and discuss conviction(s)?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I'm curious, just because I honestly don't know, but has there ever been any sort of success 'rehabbing' an individual that has sexual interest in young children? I don't know if it's because of children that we're talking about but the whole idea makes me wonder...
Old 08-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiki

Anyway, I have to agree that I don't feel bad about these people showing they've ruined their lives on National TV. I have however been wondering...seeing as how they're walking in to a false situation which turns out to be a TV news/show, don't they have to sign some sort of waiver in the end to show their faces and share their names or something?
Maybe Dateline offers to pay their legal bills or send them cigarettes and oreos to their jail cell if they'll sign off.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #27
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek

Maybe Dateline offers to pay their legal bills or send them cigarettes and oreos to their jail cell if they'll sign off.

omg....that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #28
War Child

methinks the " " were used because it is the title of a show!does not denote that the person implied anyone was a quote unquote predator. show titles like book titles are properly put in quotation marks.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #29
Jesus Online

I was referring to Butterscotch, not kiki. I thought that was apparent as I had even quoted him/her, and it was Butterscotch who was implying there was question of guilt, not kiki.