data about the war with Iraq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
I?m not sure about the accuracy of all these but thought I should post it as something to think about. To add to this, a recent survey found that 46% of Americans thought most of the Sept. 11 hijackers were Iraqi [in actuality, none of them were.]

Do YOU know enough to justify war with Iraq?
1. Q: What percentage of the world's population does the U.S. have?
A: 6%
2. Q: What percentage of the world's wealth does the U.S. have?
A: 50%
3. Q: Which country has the world's largest oil reserves?
A: Saudi Arabia
4. Q: Which country has the world's second largest oil reserves?
A: Iraq
5. Q: How much is spent on military budgets a year worldwide?
A: $900+ Billion
6. Q: How much of this is spent by the U.S.?
A: 50%
7. Q: What percentage of U.S. military spending would ensure the essentials of life to everyone in the world, according to the UN?
A: 10% (that's about $40 billion, the amount of funding initially requested to fund our retaliation attack on Afghanistan).
8. Q: How many people have died in war since world war II?
A: 86 Million
9. Q: How long has Iraq had chemical and biological weapons?
A: Since the early 1980's
10. Q: Did Iraq develop these chemical & biological weapons on their own
A: NO, the materials and technology were supplied by the US government, along with Britian and private corporations.
11. Q: Did the U.S. government condemn the Iraqi use of gas warfare against Iran?
A: No
12. Q: How many people did Saddam Hussein kill using gas in the Kurdish town of Halabja in 1988?
A: 5000
13. Q: How many western countries condemned this action at the time?
A: 0
14. Q: How many gallons of agent orange did America use in Vietnam?
A: 17 Million Gallons
15. Q: Are there any proven links between Iraq and 9-11 terrorist attacks
A: NO
16. Q: What is the estimated civilian casualties of the Gulf War?
A: 35,000
17. Q: How many casualties did the Iraqi military inflict on the western forces during the gulf war?
18. Q: How many retreating Iraqi soldiers were buried alive by U.S. tanks with ploughs mounted on the front?
A: 6,000
19. Q: How many tons of Depleted Uranium were left in Iraq and Kuwait after the gulf war?
A: 40 tons
20. Q: What according to the UN was the increase in cancer rates in Iraq between 1991 and 1994?
A: 700%
21. Q: How much of Iraq's military capacity did America claim it had destroyed in 1991?
A: 80%
22. Q: Is there any proof that Iraq plans to use its weapons for anything other than deterrence and self-defense?
23. Q: Does Iraq Present more of a threat to the world peace now than 10 years ago?
24. Q: How many civilian deaths has the pentagon predicted in the event of an attack on Iraq in 2003?
A: 10,000
25. Q: What percentage of these will be children?
A: Over 50%
26. Q: How many years has the U.S. engaged in air strikes on Iraq?
A: 11 years
27. Q: Were the U.S. and the U.K at war with Iraq between December 1998 and September 1999?
28. Q: How many pounds of explosives were dropped on Iraq between December 1998 and September 1999
A: 20 Million
29. Q: How many years ago was UN resolution 661 introduced, imposing strict sanctions on Iraq's imports and exports?
A: 12 years ago
30. Q: What was the child death rates in Iraq in 1989 (per 1,000 births)
A: 38
31. Q: What was the estimated child death rate in Iraq in 1999 (per 1,000 births)?
A: 131 (that's an increase of 345%)
32. Q: How many Iraqi were estimated to have died by October 1999 as a result of UN sanctions?
A: 1.5 million
33. Q: How many Iraqi children are estimated to have died due to sanctions since 1997?
A: 750,000
34. Q: Did Saddam order the inspectors out of Iraq?
35. Q: How many inspections were there in November and December 1998?
A: 300
36. Q: How many of these inspections had problems?
A: 5
37. Q: Were the weapons inspectors allowed entry to the Ba'ath Part HQ?
A: Yes
38. Q: Who said that by December 1998, Iraq had in fact, been disarmed to a level unprecedented in modern history?
A: Scott Ritter, UN S.C.O.M Chief
39. Q: In 1998 how much of Iraq's post 1991 capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction did the UN weapons inspectors claim to have discovered and dismantled?
A: 90%
40. Q: Is Iraq willing to allow the weapons inspectors to continue inspections?
41. Q: How many UN resolutions did Israel violate by 1992?
A: Over 65
42. Q: How many UN resolutions on Israel did America veto between 1972 and 1990?
A: 30+
43. Q: How much does the U.S. fund Israel a year?
A: $5 Billion
44. Q: How many countries are known to have nuclear weapons?
A: 8
45. Q: How many nuclear warheads does Iraq have?
46. Q: How many nuclear warheads does the U.S. have?
A: 10,000
47. Q: Which is the only country to use nuclear weapons?
A: America
48. Q: How many nuclear warheads does Israel have?
A: 400
49. Q: Has Israel ever allowed UN weapon inspections?
50. Q: What percentage of Palestinian territories are controlled by Israeli settlements?
A: 42%
51. Q: Is Israel illegally occupying Palestinian land?

I wouldn't call everything on this list 'data', more like opinions. The figures and percentages are interesting though.

18. Q: How many retreating Iraqi soldiers were buried alive by U.S. tanks with ploughs mounted on the front?
A: 6,000

Is that true? I?ll do a google search on this.

where did these come from?

data without sources is...meaningless. titillating perhaps (and they are) but it is essentially meaningless without sources and methodolgy.

sharky said:
23. Q: Does Iraq Present more of a threat to the world peace now than 10 years ago?

33. Q: How many Iraqi children are estimated to have died due to sanctions since 1997?
A: 750,000

23: maybe they don't present more of a threat now, but it's still a big threat.

33: there's a lot saddam could be doing about this.

Re: Re: data about the war with Iraq

Lilly said:

23: maybe they don't present more of a threat now, but it's still a big threat.

33: there's a lot saddam could be doing about this.

Agreed.

Interesting...I received this same Q & A through email yesterday, translated into portuguese, no credits due as well. There were two more questions though, they would be like this in english:

52: Q: Which country represents a bigger threat to the world nowadays, USA or Iraq?
A:...

53: Q: Who said "our lives start to cease when we remain silent about things like that?"
A: Martin Luther King

I apologise if those were not exactly the words of Dr.King, as I said I?m transcribing it.

Last edited:
52: Q: Which country represents a bigger threat to the world nowadays, USA or Iraq?

The USA has the potential to be the biggest threat to the world, if not managed correctly. But, honestly, I see North Korea being a far more dangerous threat to the world right now than Iraq...

I didn?t have the original text of that email I received when I posted questions 52 and 53 earlier. Now I can see that, in fact, a better transcription of question number 52 would be:

52. Q: Which country, in your opinion, represents the bigger threat to world peace, Iraq or USA?
The answer is the same...no answer.

Question 53 is correct. So is the answer.

posting things labled "data" without sources to back it up is pretty annoying, not to mention misleading and inaccurate.

I love the one about "is there proof saddam plans to use his weapons for other than self-defense?" and it answers "no".

but then there's the one about how he killed 5000 kurds with his weapons.....:eyebrow:

good list.:tsk:

What I find amazing is how many of these issues have come up in our threads and how many facts that Sting, myself, and others that we have already debunked with FACTS and sources it is not worth rehashing this. There are so many twisted and innacurate statements here. Starting with the Sanctions as Lilly questioned, down to the Retreating Iraqis....

I give. This is one of the reasons I am tired. After six months here the same arguments play out and it gets old posting evidence to the contrary.

SBS? I missed the birth of this sub-forum...I hear so many returned soldiers say "no"

facts, data, information, real or unsubstantiated. It is good to take in as much as possible.
follower, that is one powerful quote from MLK.
The greatest threat? human stupidity, we're in this together.
good luck:hug:

dreadsox, the fight to prevent bloodshed is always a noble-fight.

personally i believe ghanna, morocco and the whole west coast of africa are more of a threat to international security than iraq, but what would i know.

Re: SBS? I missed the birth of this sub-forum...I hear so many returned soldiers say "no"

cass said:
The greatest threat? human stupidity, we're in this together.

I agree. And greed as well. But that?s kinda redundant...greed is stupid.

well, I indeed did get this as a forwarded email. And as mentioned, I'm not sure about the accuracy of some of this. In fact, I'm sure we lost at least 150 soldiers in the Gulf War [the question above says zero].

But some of this data, factual or not, does raise some issues. Why are we going after Iraq and still support Israel? Why didn't we go after Iraq in the '80s? Why didn't we go after Iraq hard during the Clinton administration?

and yes, I cut out the last two questions follower. Too much opinion [but I guess the "facts" above are similar].

sharky said:
and yes, I cut out the last two questions follower. Too much opinion [but I guess the "facts" above are similar].

That?s okay sharky. I was starting to think that the last two questions were, you know, domestic creations...I?m glad they were not.

I agree that this non-credited data might not be 100% accurated, but yet it?s and interesting perspective.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom