danny pearl is dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
don't know if any of you have been following the story of Danny Pearl, a Wall St. Journal reporter who was kidnapped in Pakistan. I work for the Journal's web site and we just got word this afternoon that the Pakistani government and U.S. intelligence have evidence that proves Danny is dead.

I became a journalist because I believe it is important to educate people about what is going on in the world, that knowledge is important. Danny was simply trying to educate people. He could have easily given his captors a voice in our newspaper. Say what you want about how you think journalism is sleazy and sensational and we're too obsessed with stories about Monica Lewinsky. Danny Pearl was a reminder of what great journalists are.

The print and online Journal have been working in temporary offices since Sept. 11 [we were across the street from the Trade Center] and this is just another blow to us.

This is so sad and makes me so angry at the same time! The animals that did this must be destroyed!

top.ap.pearl.obit.jpg

Sleep
Sleep tonight
And may your dreams
Be realized
If the thunder cloud
Passes rain
So let it rain
Rain down on him
So let it be
So let it be

Sleep
Sleep tonight
And may your dreams
Be realized
If the thundercloud
Passes rain
So let it rain
Let it rain
Rain on him

----------------------------------------------------------
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies
hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction....The chain reaction
of evil--hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars--must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of
annihilation.

-----Martin Luther King, Jr., Strength To Love, 1963.

That is so sad. How any group could think that capturing and killing an innocent journalist would further their cause is beyond me. His family will be in my prayers.
frown.gif

May GOD Bless him and his family, pray for them.
Pray that he is in a much better place.

Revenge is not the answer. Only love can conquer hate. May he rest in peace.

[This message has been edited by Slow Motion (edited 02-21-2002).]

...because only love can conquer hate.

RIP Danny.
frown.gif

------------------
I'm only asking, but I think you know.

"This is so bad it's gone way past good and back to bad again." - Enid, Ghost World.

Originally posted by Slow Motion:
Revenge is not the answer. Only love can conquer hate. May he rest in peace.

[This message has been edited by Slow Motion (edited 02-21-2002).]

Those responsible still need to be brought to justice

Something in me is resisting the sadness. I want to be angry rather than sad. I'm not sure what is the right feeling to feel. The world is so evil, sometimes I just have to ask God how long will we have to endure it. Oh well, at least if I think about it, this lifetime of evil does not compare to the eternity of goodness that is to come. It won't even be a drop in a sea but more minuscule than that. I hold on to that thought in the darkest times.

foray

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
My God.
His captors staged an interview,and while he was asking questions, they snuck up behind him and SLIT HIS THROAT.
Sick decrepted cowardly bastards.

DB9

This really makes me want to go back into the military.

Yes, this is an absolute tragedy, but no more than Mike Spann's death as that American piece of shit Johnny Walker kept procrastinating in answering the CIA's questions, forcing Spann to stay in that death trap longer than necessary.. But at the same time, I hope that finally now the press realizes just how shitty these people are, how serious these people are, and MAYBE NOW.. Will acknowledge that Bush's Evil intertwined with AXIS just makes a little more sense..

Let's hope that this gets through the journalists head... because Sadly they didn't learn their lesson with the four journalists who were jumped on the road, or Dear Mike Spann.

Welcome Home.. Why did it take this?

L.Unplugged

Just another note.. Have you noticed how little space on the Front page of Newspapers being delegated to the US Military Crash in Phillipines compared to the Pearl Case?... I can't even find anything about the crash in the Chicago Tribune front page.

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 02-22-2002).]

oh my lord...I just read that the bastards who did this FILMED his killing. god. I feel so sick to my stomach. What kind of senseless barbarians would do such a thing?

Looks like the "war against terrorism" (as it's been defined by the U.S.) may have to be fought in Pakistan, also...though it'll more likely be a war against fundamentalist Islam (terrorists or just agitators)...doesn't matter, as long as someone gets all these fuckers.

You know, I think.. once everything has calmed down, all the emotions have settled, I'm not so sure it'd be a bad idea to actually show this video on the Prime Time NEws, I mean seriously, all those people who are claiming we're being too mean to these very nice detainees down in Cuba, who are against the War on Terrorism, and who are Denouncing his Axis of Evil Statement (bush's), This would be a nice kick in teh ass to remind them how shitty these people are and teh reason why they need to be exterminated.

L.Unplugged

Originally posted by Lemonite:

Just another note.. Have you noticed how little space on the Front page of Newspapers being delegated to the US Military Crash in Phillipines compared to the Pearl Case?... I can't even find anything about the crash in the Chicago Tribune front page.

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 02-22-2002).]

Lemonite, I have noticed this and I have been dreading hearing the actual news if it ever gets out; I was stationed in a unit like that with CH-47D model helicopters. I am afraid when the names come out that I may know some of them.

I think that when they recover all of the victims, more info will be available, but because of the nature of the crash they are keeping it hush-hush for now.

Is it just me, or has the number of military accidents really increased in the last few years?

Originally posted by z edge:

Is it just me, or has the number of military accidents really increased in the last few years?

Agreed.. I know that I never was really deeply involved in the news of the wars and conflicts of the past, but I don't remember as many accidents, At least they scrapped the osprey (right?).. but Damn.. that would have been sweet..

L.U.

Originally posted by Lemonite:
You know, I think.. once everything has calmed down, all the emotions have settled, I'm not so sure it'd be a bad idea to actually show this video on the Prime Time NEws, I mean seriously, all those people who are claiming we're being too mean to these very nice detainees down in Cuba, who are against the War on Terrorism, and who are Denouncing his Axis of Evil Statement (bush's), This would be a nice kick in teh ass to remind them how shitty these people are and teh reason why they need to be exterminated.

L.Unplugged

*Grabs reins*
Whoooooooh nellie, baaaaaaaaaad idea!

Out of respect for Mr. Pearl's family, wife,etc. I say hell no!

This is a prime example of why I 've been saying that there are some things we don't need to know (or in this case see) and some things we need to take the government's word on. Yet in this world of cynicism and general distrust of elected officials, this might be a fine example of something that would "shock" the people back into supporting their government, or for those overseas into supporting this cause (and assuming they are in the coalition too). And too, the video would prove that it is not some "misinformation" created by the Office of Strategic Influence.

Still, I refer back to my original point, no way should this come out for respect to him and his family.

And the worthless, souless bastards that committed this crime should be dealt with on the spot.

PS-sorry for the "horse" refrences.

Originally posted by z edge:
*Grabs reins*
Whoooooooh nellie, baaaaaaaaaad idea!

Out of respect for Mr. Pearl's family, wife,etc. I say hell no!

I agree about the respects to the family, and in the end that is what should win out, but I's jsut throwing it out as an Idea, I mean, I think it would shut up a lot of people who are shitting on the whole current situation at the moment here in America, and abroad..It wouldn't be anything anyone would want to see, but It would almost seem necessary for a select group.. Especially Bill Maher... BUt Yah, I agree Z.. It'd not be the best, wholly in respects for the family.

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 02-23-2002).]

It sounds like the video is pretty gruesome and I don't want to see it. I believe the Journal's managing editor has seen it yet there has been no mention of it to any of us.

On another note, Danny's wife Mariane released a statement about his death. Here is an excerpt from it that I thought you would all be interested in.

"Danny's principles were steadfast: He never accepted an opinion at face value nor submitted to those who tried to silence or pressure him, regardless of their power or nationality. All of this can be seen in the work he has produced over the last 12 years as a reporter for the Wall Street Journal. A video has been produced of him forced to read a statement and then showing him dead and stabbed in the most cruel and cowardly manner.

"From this act of barbarism, terrorists expect all of us to bow our heads and retreat as victims forever threatened by their ruthlessness. What terrorists forget is that they may seize the life of an innocent man or the lives of many innocent people as they did on Sept. 11, but they cannot claim the spirit or faith of individual human beings.

"The terrorists who say they killed my husband may have taken his life, but they did not take his spirit. Danny is my life. They may have taken my life, but they did not take my spirit.

"I promise you that the terrorists did not defeat my husband no matter what they did to him, nor did they succeed in seizing his dignity or value as a human being. As his wife, I feel proud of Danny. I trust that our struggle will ultimately serve the greater purpose of resisting those evil people casting a shadow upon our world. This responsibility rests with each one of us no matter our age, our gender, our nationality, our religion. No individual alone will be able to fight terrorism. No state alone will be able to wage this battle. We need to overcome cultural and religious differences, motivating our governments to work hand in hand with each other, perhaps in an unprecedented way."

It's weird. Up until I heard the bulletin I really thought he was alive. I thought that they wouldn't kill him too. I figured they kidnapped a reporter to get their views across. It was a deep blow to me when I heard of his death.

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

Originally posted by S|aney:
top.ap.pearl.obit.jpg

Sleep
Sleep tonight
And may your dreams
Be realized
If the thunder cloud
Passes rain
So let it rain
Rain down on him
So let it be
So let it be

Sleep
Sleep tonight
And may your dreams
Be realized
If the thundercloud
Passes rain
So let it rain
Let it rain
Rain on him

that gave me goose bumps.
frown.gif

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

I have to say that I can not stop thinking about this since it happened, as I'm sure most of you are saddened and sicked by these events too.

The thing that bothers me though - is that it does not seems to have effected too many people the way I would expect it too. I dont mean just on the boards, I mean in general. It just seems to me that a lot of people dont realize that these are the same bastards that flew the plains into the WTC - taking the life of an innocent man (in an extremely gruesome fashion)without the slightest sense of remorse. I know that people need to move on in a sense and go on with life as normal as they can... but I worry that people are starting to get comfortable, or in a sense forget the tragedies that have occurred over the last 5 months. I'm not trying to offend anyone with this post or anything, believe me. I just wish that i personally had seen more of a response to this that what I have....

------------------
Holy Jesus, Holy rock and roll...

Originally posted by She ls Raging:
I have to say that I can not stop thinking about this since it happened, as I'm sure most of you are saddened and sicked by these events too.

The thing that bothers me though - is that it does not seems to have effected too many people the way I would expect it too. I dont mean just on the boards, I mean in general. It just seems to me that a lot of people dont realize that these are the same bastards that flew the plains into the WTC - taking the life of an innocent man (in an extremely gruesome fashion)without the slightest sense of remorse. I know that people need to move on in a sense and go on with life as normal as they can... but I worry that people are starting to get comfortable, or in a sense forget the tragedies that have occurred over the last 5 months. I'm not trying to offend anyone with this post or anything, believe me. I just wish that i personally had seen more of a response to this that what I have....

You know, I actually take the complete opposite position as you, I think there's been a change in how the media is portraying this war, and more specifically our enemies in this war.. Like I said above, I think that this one death has convinced that these terrorists (Johnny Walker included) are bad people, and our WAR on Terrorism is serious.

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 02-23-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom