Daniel Pearl/Richard Reid/Pakistan Intelligence - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Daniel Pearl/Richard Reid/Pakistan Intelligence

Pearl killed 'for finding terror links'

Paul Webster, Paris
Thursday April 24, 2003
The Guardian

The American journalist Daniel Pearl was kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan because he uncovered links between the British terrorist Richard Reid and the Pakistani secret service, according to an investigation by the French philosopher and author Bernard-Henri LÚvy.
LÚvy's book Who Killed Daniel Pearl? traces the Wall Street Journal correspondent's last investigation after he was persuaded to go to Pakistan by a London-born double agent, Omar Saeed Sheikh.

Sheikh has since been sentenced to death in Pakistan for overseeing the murder, in which the reporter's body was cut into 10 pieces.

LÚvy spent several weeks in Pakistan and described it as "the most delinquent of delinquent nations". He said Muslims such as Reid who were linked to al-Qaida were being manipulated by "the most violent and most anti-American faction" inside the Pakistani intelligence service.

Sheikh, a London School of Economics graduate, reportedly invited Pearl, who was then in India, to visit him in Pakistan as part of an inquiry into the background of Reid.

Reid is now in prison in the US after trying to blow up a flight from Paris to Miami.

LÚvy said "an odour of the apocalypse" floated over cities in Pakistan where there was a struggle between moderate and radical Muslims recruited by the intelligence service. He accused Pakistani extremists of transferring nuclear secrets to Iran and helping North Korea to develop the atomic bomb.

Claiming that Pakistan was the real key to all Islamic-led international terrorism, he said that the US had solved only 1% of the problem by deposing Saddam Hussein.

Old 04-24-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

I hope STING reads this.

Just goes to show that Arun had an excellent point about the reality of what is happening in Pakistan.

Old 04-24-2003, 01:45 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:03 AM
And apparently uncovered by a French journalist...

Marty
Old 04-24-2003, 02:11 PM   #4
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 11:03 AM
Dreadsox: thanks for posting it, a sad story

Popmartijn:
The Guardian is a british newspaper, Paul Webster dosn't sound like a french name to me either - afik he is the Paris corespondant of the Guardian...

Klaus
Old 04-24-2003, 03:00 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

The person who has uncovered this alleged activity is FRENCH.

according to an investigation by the French philosopher and author Bernard-Henri LÚvy.
LÚvy's book Who Killed Daniel Pearl? traces the Wall Street Journal correspondent's last investigation after he was persuaded to go to Pakistan by a London-born double agent, Omar Saeed Sheikh.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:46 PM   #6
New Yorker

Um...I'm a bit confused. Danny was stationed in Pakistan. No one asked him to leave India. He and his wife were both in Pakistan at the time. And while he may have known something, its also clear that they killed him partially because he was Jewish.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:35 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Hmmmm.. Lets see, Levy is a philosopher.?.?.?

Hmmmm... Lets see, is there any substance to what he said... For allyou know, he could be making up the whole thing...

Let me give you an incite on Pakistan... It is a developing country that has been constantly stopping its economic developments for the sake of helping the US... Because Pakistan has always highly respected the US, and though you may have anti-American protests, go to any country, within the US or out and you will witness protests...
Back to my point, Pakistan is still developing, and it doesn't have the resources to track down "terrorists" as easy as the US does...

You guys have to understand that the people who are suspected of killing Pearl were underground.... I for one know that this country has gone through so much shit, and the last thing they want to do is mingle with terrorists... They are trying to develop as a country into a liberal democracy.. President Musharaff is trying his best into getting Pakistan back on its feet... The last thing we need is America hold suspicians against Pakistan.
And believe me, Pakistan has been slowing coming back on its feet... I see it whenver I visit, which is often.

This country doesn't give enough credit for the amount of support Pakistan has given to the US... This country has a list of shit that they have to deal with, and yet they always stop to help the Americans... This is the problem, maybe they should invest more time developing themselves, rather then putting America on its top priority... America really charms Pakistan into doing things it rather wouldn't want to get involved in... However, Pakistan does get involved, and, yes, in the past they invested the few dollars that they got from the US into weapons rather then education... But, recently, Pakistan has tried to focus on its infrastructure...
This countyr holds the possible development of a Good Democratic Muslim State, it is nearly at the verge of it... The last thing it needs is a War with the West...
Old 04-30-2003, 10:44 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Arun
Old 05-01-2003, 02:11 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Anitram,

I think you should read this.

U.S. Says al-Qaida Suspect a Major Catch
39 minutes ago

By JOHN J. LUMPKIN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Pakistani authorities have captured a man accused of playing a leading role in the Sept. 11 attacks and the bombing of an American warship in Yemen, a catch President Bush (news - web sites) called a "major, significant find" in the war against the ailing al-Qaida network.

AP Photo

Waleed bin Attash, also known as Tawfiq Attash or just Khallad, coordinated the activities of at least two of the hijackers who crashed into the Pentagon (news - web sites) during the Sept. 11 attacks, U.S. counterterrorism officials said. He is also one of two figures described as masterminds of the bombing of the U.S. Navy (news - web sites) destroyer on Oct. 12, 2000.

Bush described Khallad as "one of the top al-Qaida operatives" Ś saying he ranked just below Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the captured No. 3 figure in the terror network.

Khallad is often described as one-legged but actually is missing his right foot.

"He's a killer," Bush said of Khallad. "He is one less person that people who love freedom have to worry about. ... It was a major, significant find."

Khallad was arrested Tuesday in the southern Pakistani city of Karachi during raids that netted five other al-Qaida suspects. Pakistani and U.S. officials announced his capture Wednesday.

U.S. counterterrorism officials described him as among the top 10 al-Qaida figures who remained at-large.

"This is a big catch," said Brig. Javed Iqbal Cheema, the head of Pakistan's counterterrorism unit. "I think he is very important."

American and Pakistani officials said Khallad, a Yemeni who also held Saudi citizenship, was active in plotting new terrorism. He will be interrogated by officials from both countries.

"With these arrests a major terrorist attack has been averted in Pakistan," said the country's interior minister, Saleh Faisal Hayyat.

In the Cole attack, two suicide bombers rammed an explosives-laden dinghy into the Cole in the Yemeni port of Aden, ripping a gaping hole in the ship's hull and killing 17 sailors.

The other alleged Cole mastermind, al-Qaida's Persian Gulf operations chief Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, was captured in November in the United Arab Emirates.

Two other alleged lower-ranking organizers of the attack recently escaped from a Yemeni prison. They were not believed to be among the six captured this week.

Khallad had also planned an attack on another Navy destroyer in Aden in early January 2000. That attack failed when the bomb boat sank under the weight of the explosives.

U.S. counterterrorism officials further described Khallad as the intermediary between alleged Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Shaikh Mohammed and hijackers Khalid al-Mihdhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi. Mohammed was captured in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, in March.

In January 2000, Khallad met with the two eventual Sept. 11 hijackers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

The CIA (news - web sites) had learned about the meeting, and asked Malaysian authorities to monitor it. The Malaysians learned who was there but not what was discussed.

The meeting gained much greater significance to American counterterrorism officials a year later, when investigators tied Khallad to the Cole plot. His known associates Ś including al-Mihdhar and al-Hazmi Ś suddenly took on new importance.

Despite their association with Khallad, the two operatives were not put on watch lists at U.S. ports-of-entry until months afterward, in late August 2001. A listing might have prevented the two from being allowed into the United States, but the 17 other hijackers were largely unknown to U.S. authorities.

Another person at the January 2000 meeting would later be associated with terrorism suspect Zacarias Moussaoui, who traveled to Malaysia later that year. Moussaoui is accused of conspiring with the Sept. 11 plotters to commit terrorism.

Khallad was in Afghanistan (news - web sites) for much of the planning of the Sept. 11 attacks and was believed to have moved to Pakistan after the Taliban fell, officials said.

Pakistani authorities also recovered 330 pounds of explosives and a large quantity of weapons, according to a statement from Cheema's National Crisis Management Cell, which oversees Pakistan's anti-terrorist activities.

"The recovered items indicate the magnitude" of those planned attacks, the statement said.

Also captured in the raids that netted Khallad was a nephew of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, Pakistani officials said. American officials had previously described Ali Abdulaziz as active in al-Qaida operations.

Numerous al-Qaida chiefs have been captured in Pakistan since the Taliban fell, as have hundreds of lesser fighters, Pakistani officials say. Many of al-Qaida's remaining operational leaders are believed to be in Iran, and Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) and his chief deputy are still thought to be hiding in the mountains between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

___

Associated Press writers Kathy Gannon in Islamabad and Afzal Nadeem in Karachi contributed to this story.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:18 PM   #10
The Fly

Good article Sting..

Dreadsox, what are u trying to say? Why are you saying Arun?

Are you Arun? Or are you bringing up his name b/c your infactuated with him? Or what?

Imagine if Pakistan had the time and privacy of developing... Pakistan would become a powerful democratic Muslim State who would greatly accept the West... Pakistan would be a more powerful "Jordan"..... Just imagine... Wouldn't this help bring peace and more order to the Muslim World?
Believe me, it would bring more stability...
Old 05-01-2003, 05:45 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Amna

Dreadsox, what are u trying to say? Why are you saying Arun?

Are you Arun? Or are you bringing up his name b/c your infactuated with him? Or what?

Well, 1st of all, for some reason what I typed did not make it onto the screen and I did not notice it did not make it in the post.

Second of all, are you trying to be funny? Have I ever conversed with you EVER that would make you think it ok to make comments directed at me that boarderline are rude?

As I thought I said last night:

"Arun what is your opinion on this."
Old 05-01-2003, 05:50 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

FROM THE BBC:

Pearl 'killed over secrets'

Pearl's murder was "a cold, calculated crime", says Levy
France's leading philosopher Bernard-Henri Levy, says that American journalist Daniel Pearl, who was kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan last year was killed because he knew too much.

In an interview with the BBC, Mr Levy said Mr Pearl had uncovered dangerous secrets about the involvement of Pakistan's intelligence service with Islamic extremists.

He also claims that British-born Islamic militant Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, convicted of killing Mr Pearl was in fact a double agent working for Pakistan's intelligence service, Inter Services Intelligence (ISI).

Mr Levy, who recently returned from investigating the murder in Pakistan, was French President Jacques Chirac's special envoy to Afghanistan.

Mr Levy said that Mr Pearl was "kidnapped for one reason and he was killed for another".

I think Omar Sheikh was an agent of al-Qaeda, close to Bin Laden, and an agent of ISI

Bernard-Henri Levy
"He was kidnapped obviously because he was American, Jewish and a journalist - especially because he was American and Jewish in a country, in an area of the world where it is a crime to be Jewish and American."

"To be American and Jewish in Pakistan is not an identity it is a sin - it is a crime - this is why he kidnapped," Mr Levy said.

Nuclear question

Mr Levy says once in the hands of his captors, in the course of his conversations with them, Pearl's abductors realised "that he knew too much", that he was in possession of information too sensitive for him to ever be released.

Mr Levy said the information took two forms - firstly about Pakistan's nuclear capabilities:

Omar Sheikh says he is a scapegoat
"Everyone knows that Pakistan is a nuclear power but Daniel discovered that the nuclear weapons were less controlled than Mr Musharraf pretends and less under control than the secret services of occidental powers believe."

Secondly, according to Mr Levy, Pearl had uncovered information about a shadowy Muslim leader known as Gillani.

"He was on the point of discovering the identity, background, roots and area of influence of a very strange man who is called Gillani," Mr Levy said.

"He is the chief of a Muslim sect which has one foot in Pakistan and one foot in America and he happens to be one of the masters of Bin Laden - one of the gurus of Bin Laden," Mr Levy added.

Mr Levy also claimed to have uncovered information about Omar Sheikh, Pearl's killer, whom he claims is not only connected to al-Qaeda, but to ISI too.

"What I discovered is that he is not simply a young guy deciding to kill a Jew. It was a planned crime, organised and done to a cold strategy."

"This British man Omar Sheikh is linked to ISI the intelligence service of Pakistan, which means partly to the state of Pakistan and secondly to al-Qaeda," Mr Levy said.

"I think Omar Sheikh was an agent of al-Qaeda, close to Bin Laden, and an agent of ISI."
Old 05-01-2003, 08:20 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Musharraf: Bin Laden May Be in Pakistan
Thu May 1,11:35 AM ET

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) may be hiding in the rocky stronghold of Pakistan's Islamic hardliners close to the Afghan border, President Pervez Musharraf said in remarks Thursday.

AP Photo

Reuters Photo
Slideshow: Osama bin Laden

In an interview with a London-based television channel, Musharraf insisted Pakistani forces are doing all they can to track bin Laden down. But he said if the al-Qaida chief was part of a small al-Qaida cell "he can hide anywhere."

"They may be hiding in our tribal areas, but I cannot say with certainty," Musharraf told satellite channel ARY Gold. "Our army is operating there. We have asked tribesmen to tell us if they know anything. The tribesmen have said they will do it."

U.S. and Pakistani officials suspect that bin Laden and many of his top lieutenants survived U.S. bombing in Afghanistan (news - web sites) and may have found refuge in Pakistan's ultraconservative tribal belt.

Islamabad insists it is determined to root out terrorists, and this week arrested a Yemeni suspected in both the Sept. 11 attacks as well as the deadly bombing in 2000 of the U.S. destroyer Cole.

But the federal government has only limited control in its fiercely autonomous tribal regions.

The border areas were a staging post for Islamic militants who defeated Afghanistan's communist rulers in 1982 and for the later Taliban regime, which gave refuge to al-Qaida until their ouster in late 2001. And Islamic hardliners made big gains in the region in October elections.

But Musharraf has shrugged off their opposition to make Pakistan a key ally in the U.S.-led war on terror, detaining some 450 fugitive al-Qaida and Taliban members, including several top figures.

"We have arrested most of the al-Qaida people," he said in the interview, which was recorded Thursday in Rawalpindi, near Islamabad. "They were handed over to America because their own governments were not prepared to take them back."

The United States also has urged Pakistan also to clamp down on Pakistan-based militants fighting in Kashmir (news - web sites), the Himalayan region that Pakistan has contested with Hindu India for more than 50 years, and negotiate a settlement.

Musharraf said that an announcement by Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee last month that he was ready for new talks on Kashmir was a "good omen."

Pakistan's Prime Minister Zafarullah Khan Jamali this week telephoned Vajpayee to say he was ready to travel to New Delhi or welcome the Indian premier to Islamabad.

"It's a good start. We have always favored talks," he said
Old 05-05-2003, 02:38 AM   #14
The Fly

Dreadsox, I was serious in what I was asking... I'm sorry if I sounded border line rude....
But, after seeing Arun's name so many times, I was really concerned...?...?

Sorry if your offended....
Old 05-05-2003, 06:08 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Arun is a member of the forum. I am not offended....peace