Dangerous Times to be a Jew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Found a very interesting article covering the rise of anti-semitism in western society in recent times, covers the usual bias against Israel in many mainstream media outlets and the rise of Neo-con conspiracy theories among the Latte Lefties.

A typical case of the media's mendacity on Israel was the invented coverage of the Jenin "massacre" (not) by British news organisations, which were so anti-Israel that they popularised an event that they could not have witnessed, because it had not happened. They never apologised - because any Israeli "atrocity" is seen to illustrate a greater truth. Another example was the Israeli assassination of the man whom the BBC called Hamas's "spiritual leader": Sheikh Ahmed Yassin was actually a terrorist boss, about as "spiritual" as Osama Bin Laden.

In blaming Jewish-American neo-cons and in longing to appease the terrorists, the bien-pensants purveyors of these conspiracies will not heal Islamist grievances. For such grievances are about western power, modernity and freedom. Islamist terrorists visualise "Jews" as perhaps a weak link in our western civilisation, but an essential part of our society. Those who swallow conspiracy theories miss the point. For al-Qaeda maniacs, we are all Jews.

Full article is here and I recomend that people give it a read.
http://www.newstatesman.com/site.ph...cle_People&newTop=&newDisplayURN=200406280017

anti-semitism is a sad sad thing.

but I don't think there is any "rise" among most people

I believe most cases, like the one you mentioned, are just ignorant people who think they have some facts but don't. I'm not sure these british news people hate or dislike or discriminate against jews on purpose.

as I see it, they(jews) are caught in the middle of a europe-USA clash. Many europeans dislike american foreign policy and, seeing them(USA) defend the jewish people, they play the 'devils advocate' and try to point out flaws in the people.

it maybe is technically anti-semintism, but not an extreme case where there is actual hate or dislike

I don't think it's anti-semitic to criticize Israel any more than it is anti-American to criticize the US. I love the Jewish people and their culture, but I have serious issues with some of the policies of Israel. Does that make me anti-semitic?

I'm so tired of Israel and Palestine. They should just blow each other up into oblivion, so we don't have to hear about them ever again. This is what happens when we make an idol out of the so-called "Holy Lands." Or, as I like to call them, the "Unholy Lands."

But, getting realistic, I doubt any of this will be solved anytime soon.

Melon

to be honest Israel seems to antogonize thier neighbors there and I wish we (USA) didnt have to back them up so much.

as for my own personal expirience
I lived in a subdivision in a Chicago suburb ( where at the time and still today probably Chicago is one of the most ethnically divided cities in the USA ) anyway, this subdivion was very new with the cookie cutter houses etc. and I had just moved from a neighborhood where so many families spoke German or Polish and then I moved to this other town that was mostly Jewish people and they were SO different ...honestly ..they were VERy materialistic.
and they had alot of money - and seemed they were real bitches
( when I say bitches I am referring to the men)

Chicago is very segregated .....
people round them selves up and off....

I was so meek .....when i moved to this new town a meek little girl and I felt that this may have invited all the criticism as a result....

im not anti semitic...

im glad i dont live there anymore and Im DAMN glad im not raising kids there.

ThatGuy said:
I don't think it's anti-semitic to criticize Israel any more than it is anti-American to criticize the US. I love the Jewish people and their culture, but I have serious issues with some of the policies of Israel. Does that make me anti-semitic?

I feel the same exact way. I don't like some of Israel's policies but I admire and respect the Jewish people. I certainly am not in any way anti-Semitic.

melon said:
I'm so tired of Israel and Palestine. They should just blow each other up into oblivion, so we don't have to hear about them ever again.

Harsh, but I agree to an extent. It's becoming ridiculous and I often feel that the rest of the world is being held hostage by these 8 million or so people who will never find a viable way to live together.

I work with many Jewish people (all men incidentally). Two of them left Israel because they did not support the Israeli way of dealing with things. One was a highly decorated Israeli soldier who one day threw out all his medals, and moved halfway across the world, sickened to his stomach of all he'd seen.

funny, I had this discussion with a friend last night. Being Jewish is a faith....being Israli is coming from a nation. You can speak out against a nation without being prejudiced against a faith.

AcrobatMan said:
off the topic but was albert einstein a jew ? :wink:

He was, though not very religious. When asked if he believes in god he replied, "I believe in the same god Spinoza believed in".

carrieluvv said:
then I moved to this other town that was mostly Jewish people and they were SO different ...honestly ..they were VERy materialistic.
and they had alot of money - and seemed they were real bitches
( when I say bitches I am referring to the men)

im not anti semitic...

im glad i dont live there anymore and Im DAMN glad im not raising kids there.

This is a disappointing example of attributing a behavior to a religion or a race.

These "people" may have been snobs,
or exhibited other 'bad' behavior in your eyes.

It had no more to do with them being "Jews" than it did with them being Geminis or "right-handed".

Perpetuating stereotypes is in my opinion, anti-Semitic.

I know a few "rich" Jews, and Mormons, and Catholics for that matter.

It is the "materialistic" or "greedy" or "conniving" adjectives that slip in to conversations that worry me.

Approx. 100.000 Israeli Settlers of the Gaza Strip will meet today for peaceful protests :up: against the plan of their government to give the Gaza strip back to the Palestinensians.

However, Israeli government expects that ultra-right-wing Settlers plan a terror-strike against the Al-Aksa-Mosqe Eljakim Haezni called a terroristic attack at the The Temple Mount a "worthily act" :down:

sorry if ya feel offended..im just relaying what was a mostly childhood expirience...even the jewish friends I had
one imparticular friend whose mother was catholic, father was jewish/....
she was always the one to point out the differences...

I know I took a risk in saying all of that...but there will always be differences between people...I know most of youwho come from big cities can relate to it.

I got along with mostly everyone...I had alot of jewish friends too

and I was very receptive how thier parents were compared to my very conservative parents.

but I did mention the town I was in was very segregated....i had nothing to do with that.

now that Im older I obviously dont feel the same but cant deny when I go back to " the old neighborhood" I would rather shoot myself in the foot than try to raise up kids there...

where I live now noone cares what ya are...
well there is this little discrimination thing they have there but they think nothin of it
they call it "being from away" which means you were not born here..... and I ge the feeling if they detect an unlike maine accept or something similar...they tend to exclude
they dont want thier " best and brightest to move away"( this was a big controversy here)
its an anamole to them...
and then they wonder why some places in maine have such a poor economy
discrimination comes in many forms.
although the above mentioned isnt all that grave it can still cause a ripple
you cant get hired at the biggest employer here unless a true mainer "puts in a word " for ya..or unless you have specialized training- then they hate ya! just kidding.

so...I am a very nice person...I have to admit I care about people
too much sometimes...I can put on my halo with just as much pride or when i need to be humble take it off...

Klaus said:
However, Israeli government expects that ultra-right-wing Settlers plan a terror-strike against the Al-Aksa-Mosqe Eljakim Haezni called a terroristic attack at the The Temple Mount a "worthily act" :down:

There's a group of approximately little less than a hundred extremists settlers that are referred to as "the Jewish underground". They haven't executed any of their plans yet, but many of them were arrested and interrogated, few were sent to jail. People here criticized the police for screwing up and arresting many of them before having enough evidence to put them behind bars.

The Shabak (something like the FBI) is standing on their necks all the time. The idea of an attack on temple mount is the scariest s***t ever. WW3 will brake fore sure, seriously.

It's a dangerous time to be an unemployed American (there are millions of them) in a country which is so short-sighted to its own people's best interests that it's gives the Israeli government HUNDREDS OF MILLION OF DOLLARS FOR THEIR MILITARY DEFENSE WHEN THE U.S. GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE SPENDING THAT MONEY TO IMPROVE THE LIVES OF ITS OWN PEOPLE!:yes:

REMEMBER ITS OUR AMERICAN TAX DOLLARS THAT ARE SUPPORTING THE ISRAELI MILITARY - so I think our Israeli supporters should be a bit more grateful to those of us from the U.S.A.

I know that I'm poor enough and would like some of my tax dollars that I send over to Israel to stay right here in my own pocket.:up:

THE GOAL IS SOUL..... :angel: :hug:

Jamila said:
It's a dangerous time to be an unemployed American (there are millions of them) in a country which is so short-sighted to its own people's best interests that it's gives the Israeli government HUNDREDS OF MILLION OF DOLLARS FOR THEIR MILITARY DEFENSE WHEN THE U.S. GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE SPENDING THAT MONEY TO IMPROVE THE LIVES OF ITS OWN PEOPLE!:yes:

REMEMBER ITS OUR AMERICAN TAX DOLLARS THAT ARE SUPPORTING THE ISRAELI MILITARY - so I think our Israeli supporters should be a bit more grateful to those of us from the U.S.A.

I know that I'm poor enough and would like some of my tax dollars that I send over to Israel to stay right here in my own pocket.:up:

THE GOAL IS SOUL..... :angel: :hug:

Your tax dollars that go to Israel are helping to prevent a worse slaughter of Jews than what happened in Europe in the 1930s and 1940s. Saving lives and improving the standard of living for people surrounded by terrorist is a good thing.

They haven't executed any of their plans yet

Rabin,

ring a bell?

it is the extreemists that put Sharon in power.

it is where he comes from.

Arafat should go
and Sharon should be thrown out, too.

deep said:

Rabin,

ring a bell?

it is the extreemists that put Sharon in power.

it is where he comes from.

Arafat should go
and Sharon should be thrown out, too.

No, it was the Israely people who voted and put Sharon in Power. Israel is a democracy unlike its neighbors.

STING2:

They would never ever have voted for Sharon if Rabin would have bin an option and i think that's deeps conclusion.
By eliminating Rabin the way was paved for Sharon.

Arafat and Sharon are horrible for the peace process both sides are not interested in a solution of the conflict because they would be unnecessary afterwards.

edited ------

I wanted to add:

Rest in peace Yitzhak Rabin, you were a outstanding leader of your country.

Last edited:
Klaus said:
STING2:

They would never ever have voted for Sharon if Rabin would have bin an option and i think that's deeps conclusion.

Arafat and Sharon are horrible for the peace process both sides are not interested in a solution of the conflict because they would be unnecessary afterwards.

edited ------

I wanted to add:

Israel is a democracy, they had an election, and Sharon was the choice of the people. Its about time Europeans began to respect that fact.

Klaus said:
STING2:

edited ------

I wanted to add:

The group I was talking about is relatively new; this specific group hasn?t executed its planes yet. That?s what I was talking about. There always were and always will be extremists.

Prior to Rabin?s assassination there was a whole atmosphere of incitement that came from extremists? religious leaders who lived in the settlements. The politicians in the right wing of the political map are to blame just as well for acting like the 3 monkeys (can?t see, can?t hear, can?t talk (against it)). There was a ?Halacha verdict?, a religious ruling if you may, that said that Rabin?s blood is premised for betraying and putting the Jewish people in danger. The general public didn?t really take it seriously nor did the media, but some people including the man who killed him-did.

After his death, Shimon Peres was the acting PM. few months before the elections he had a 76% majority against Netanyahu. About a month or so before the elections (1996), 3 suicide bombers exploded 3 buses in a single week. These days we will be horrified as well, but then it was the first time that such big attacks happened right after the other. People didn?t know how to deal with it (I still remember being 13 watching the TV a day after one of the attacks, and they showed pictured from the scene again. I was sure it was a rerun from yesterday, but then I realized it just happened again). Peres` majority dropped dramatically, Netanyahu had his high-shot campaign advisors (who also worked for Bill Clinton in his campaign) who took advantage of the situation. Finally Netanyahu won 50.5% against 49.5%.

Then he has proven to be a crap PM. In 1999, Ehud Barak, the labor party?s candidate won by a landslide. Unfortunately, he was a total failure just as well.
Just 2 years after that (2001) another elections tool place. Influenced by the second intifada that started in October 2000+the fact that he was just dysfunctional as a PM, Arial Sharon got elected.

Then, he was crap (and still is)?.

This is in short the chain of events that lead Sharon?s winning the elections.

STING2 said:
Israel is a democracy, they had an election, and Sharon was the choice of the people. Its about time Europeans began to respect that fact.

When did anyone suggest otherwise? All deep and Klaus have done is to suggest a possible reason for Sharon's election. You've made a similar suggestion with regard to the Spanish elections, namely that Zapatero would not have been elected as Prime Minister if not for the Madrid bombings. Does that mean you don't respect the fact that Spain is a democracy and Zapatero was the choice of the people?

FizzingWhizzbees said:

When did anyone suggest otherwise? All deep and Klaus have done is to suggest a possible reason for Sharon's election. You've made a similar suggestion with regard to the Spanish elections, namely that Zapatero would not have been elected as Prime Minister if not for the Madrid bombings. Does that mean you don't respect the fact that Spain is a democracy and Zapatero was the choice of the people?

There are to many suggestions by those that are against Israely policy, that Sharon is some kind of an evil dictator. I'm pointing out that is indeed not the case, as Israel is a democracy and the people have had time to study and select who they want to be their leader without a single action impacting that vote.

In the case of Spain, the government was only 72 hours from a victory and then Al Quada set off a bomb and turned the election into an opposition victory. I do respect the fact that the Spanish people voted in the opposition government, in the hopes of appeasing Al Quada. What exactly is Spains new government doing now to help the Iraqi people and fight terrorism?

Back
Top Bottom