Dangerous Times to be a Jew - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2004, 01:03 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Dangerous Times to be a Jew

Found a very interesting article covering the rise of anti-semitism in western society in recent times, covers the usual bias against Israel in many mainstream media outlets and the rise of Neo-con conspiracy theories among the Latte Lefties.

Quote:
A typical case of the media's mendacity on Israel was the invented coverage of the Jenin "massacre" (not) by British news organisations, which were so anti-Israel that they popularised an event that they could not have witnessed, because it had not happened. They never apologised - because any Israeli "atrocity" is seen to illustrate a greater truth. Another example was the Israeli assassination of the man whom the BBC called Hamas's "spiritual leader": Sheikh Ahmed Yassin was actually a terrorist boss, about as "spiritual" as Osama Bin Laden.
Quote:
In blaming Jewish-American neo-cons and in longing to appease the terrorists, the bien-pensants purveyors of these conspiracies will not heal Islamist grievances. For such grievances are about western power, modernity and freedom. Islamist terrorists visualise "Jews" as perhaps a weak link in our western civilisation, but an essential part of our society. Those who swallow conspiracy theories miss the point. For al-Qaeda maniacs, we are all Jews.
Full article is here and I recomend that people give it a read.
http://www.newstatesman.com/site.php...N=200406280017

Old 07-24-2004, 01:21 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:57 AM
anti-semitism is a sad sad thing.

but I don't think there is any "rise" among most people

I believe most cases, like the one you mentioned, are just ignorant people who think they have some facts but don't. I'm not sure these british news people hate or dislike or discriminate against jews on purpose.

as I see it, they(jews) are caught in the middle of a europe-USA clash. Many europeans dislike american foreign policy and, seeing them(USA) defend the jewish people, they play the 'devils advocate' and try to point out flaws in the people.

it maybe is technically anti-semintism, but not an extreme case where there is actual hate or dislike

Old 07-24-2004, 02:49 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 01:27 AM
I don't think it's anti-semitic to criticize Israel any more than it is anti-American to criticize the US. I love the Jewish people and their culture, but I have serious issues with some of the policies of Israel. Does that make me anti-semitic?
Old 07-24-2004, 05:18 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Nope, but disproportionatly criticizing Israel and demonizing their government without looking at the situation at large is anti-semitic and not to say so would be dishonest.
http://www.peacewithrealism.org/antizi01.htm
Old 07-24-2004, 07:26 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:27 AM
I'm so tired of Israel and Palestine. They should just blow each other up into oblivion, so we don't have to hear about them ever again. This is what happens when we make an idol out of the so-called "Holy Lands." Or, as I like to call them, the "Unholy Lands."

But, getting realistic, I doubt any of this will be solved anytime soon.

Melon
Old 07-24-2004, 07:46 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 09:27 AM
to be honest Israel seems to antogonize thier neighbors there and I wish we (USA) didnt have to back them up so much.

as for my own personal expirience
I lived in a subdivision in a Chicago suburb ( where at the time and still today probably Chicago is one of the most ethnically divided cities in the USA ) anyway, this subdivion was very new with the cookie cutter houses etc. and I had just moved from a neighborhood where so many families spoke German or Polish and then I moved to this other town that was mostly Jewish people and they were SO different ...honestly ..they were VERy materialistic.
and they had alot of money - and seemed they were real bitches
( when I say bitches I am referring to the men)

Chicago is very segregated .....
people round them selves up and off....

I was so meek .....when i moved to this new town a meek little girl and I felt that this may have invited all the criticism as a result....

im not anti semitic...

im glad i dont live there anymore and Im DAMN glad im not raising kids there.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:08 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
I don't think it's anti-semitic to criticize Israel any more than it is anti-American to criticize the US. I love the Jewish people and their culture, but I have serious issues with some of the policies of Israel. Does that make me anti-semitic?
I feel the same exact way. I don't like some of Israel's policies but I admire and respect the Jewish people. I certainly am not in any way anti-Semitic.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:26 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I'm so tired of Israel and Palestine. They should just blow each other up into oblivion, so we don't have to hear about them ever again.
Harsh, but I agree to an extent. It's becoming ridiculous and I often feel that the rest of the world is being held hostage by these 8 million or so people who will never find a viable way to live together.

I work with many Jewish people (all men incidentally). Two of them left Israel because they did not support the Israeli way of dealing with things. One was a highly decorated Israeli soldier who one day threw out all his medals, and moved halfway across the world, sickened to his stomach of all he'd seen.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

off the topic but was albert einstein a jew ?
Old 07-24-2004, 01:26 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 05:27 AM
funny, I had this discussion with a friend last night. Being Jewish is a faith....being Israli is coming from a nation. You can speak out against a nation without being prejudiced against a faith.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:47 PM   #11
The Fly

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
off the topic but was albert einstein a jew ?
He was, though not very religious. When asked if he believes in god he replied, "I believe in the same god Spinoza believed in".
Old 07-24-2004, 03:21 PM   #12
Refugee

oops that "Israli" is a typo.... I meant Israeli. Sorry, it was too late to edit before I noticed it.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:14 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by carrieluvv
then I moved to this other town that was mostly Jewish people and they were SO different ...honestly ..they were VERy materialistic.
and they had alot of money - and seemed they were real bitches
( when I say bitches I am referring to the men)

im not anti semitic...

im glad i dont live there anymore and Im DAMN glad im not raising kids there.

This is a disappointing example of attributing a behavior to a religion or a race.

These "people" may have been snobs,
or exhibited other 'bad' behavior in your eyes.

It had no more to do with them being "Jews" than it did with them being Geminis or "right-handed".

Perpetuating stereotypes is in my opinion, anti-Semitic.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:18 PM   #14
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I would agree. The stereotype of the "rich Jew" is one we ought not be working to perpetuate.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:27 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I know a few "rich" Jews, and Mormons, and Catholics for that matter.

It is the "materialistic" or "greedy" or "conniving" adjectives that slip in to conversations that worry me.