Damnit! I have jury duty!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy said:
Do your duty, and be happy we still have some freedoms left.

FYI, Americans get paid about $7 a day to do it. That's why we see it as a colossal waste of our time.

Melon

I got my jury survey when I was just 18, then I got picked in April (am 20 now), deferred b/c of full time school, and got picked AGAIN last month! So I spent a day at the courthouse b/c they were selecting for 5 or 6 trials and finally got picked on the last one. They even ran out of jurors and the defendant stupidly agreed to have a 5 (rather than 6 + alternate) jury. So then I went back on Tuesday morning for the trial, sat there w/ my fellow jurors for a few hours, and right as we were going into the trial, the guy freaked and plead guilty. It was kinda nice since they told us the trial would definitely take all day since there were several witnesses for both sides (it was a domestic violence case, the guy was crying self-defense). The best thing: yesterday I got a check from the city for $54. I'm really not sure if this was for the day I spent in selection, or for the trial, but oh well, I already banked it!

But yeah, what melon said....for those of us who aren't being paid hefty salaries, taking off a day of work for jury duty is a loss of $100 that we won't get.

I'm just thankful I wasn't picked for Federal court. Then I'd have to lose money taking off work, AND somehow find a way to the state capitol and back each day :huh:

melon said:

FYI, Americans get paid about $7 a day to do it.

Ok, I will now say WHERE ECONOMICALLY FEASIBLE, citizens should do their duty and present themselves for jury duty when called. :wink:

I was called a few years ago. I was actually sort of looking forward to it, I've never served on a jury before.

I knew one of the police officers involved in the case so the defendant's attorney dismissed me.

It was a home invasion case so I was relieved

My mother hung a jury. Somehow, I knew when the bailiff called that court was running late, I knew it was my mother. Go, Mom!

Somewhat... they get the names from the voters, so if you voted or if you're on welfare or government assistance, you're in the jury pool. Then when they need you, they pull names from whatever bingo cage they use, assign you a number and you're to call in after a certain date to find out if you're the lucky winner of a day in a stuffy courtroom! :wink:

But that's as much I know about it... I suppose I'll know more when I show up for mine.

Sevikins said:
Somewhat... they get the names from the voters, so if you voted or if you're on welfare or government assistance, you're in the jury pool. Then when they need you, they pull names from whatever bingo cage they use, assign you a number and you're to call in after a certain date to find out if you're the lucky winner of a day in a stuffy courtroom! :wink:

But that's as much I know about it... I suppose I'll know more when I show up for mine.

Actually you don't have to vote, just register to vote.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Actually you don't have to vote, just register to vote.

I don't think it's just people registered to vote anymore. I was away in Europe when I was called in, and I thought it strange since I am not registered to vote. I also do not have a driver's license. I'm deferred until September and then I have to go in. Perhaps they do it now if you have an ID card or something.

Sevikins said:
Correct BVS.
Sorry about that.

On a separate note: has anyone actually received one of these things and not appeared nor called or anything? Just wondering.

I got one in April and couldn't go b/c I'd used all my sick days for classes and would begin losing one letter grade for each additional day missing. I e-mailed someone and she said I would be deferred. My friend's dad said you can defer twice if you want, so I guess you can just call/e-mail and ask to be deferred. Your name WILL come up again though. I thought I'd get out for sure b/c my uncle is in charge of the county jail, but they didn't care this time!

Sevikins said:
Correct BVS.
Sorry about that.

On a separate note: has anyone actually received one of these things and not appeared nor called or anything? Just wondering.

A friend of mine didn't show, and called to apologize...they said no big deal, don't worry about it, you didn't even get called anyway.

I was called once about two years ago. I was mad. I've always wanted to serve on a jury, but it's so disorganized and difficult that I was not happy going! I was called too, stood there for 5 minutes as they stared at a clipboard and then said "You are all dismissed, trial is cancelled." :rolleyes: I was there all of 10 minutes, but had to wait a half hour for my ride to come back!

MY mom actually made it quite far, which was really bizarre since it was a case my dad was testifying on! She figured it out instantly and kept trying to tell them she wasn't suitable, but they wouldn't even listen. She could have tainted the whole jury.
It was an incredibly bizarre draw, one of the other jurors knew one of the victims and they wouldn't let her go either.

I wasn't selected. I was placed in the front of the room though so I was in the part of the group that took the main questioning. I was the first prospective juror the prosecutor got rid of. Why?

My guesses:

I'm an unemployed 20 year old - aka I don't have much credibility in their eyes. I guess.

My hair is long - and I mean ponytail long - and I have a full beard. I've been told that lawyers/attorneys don't like to have males with that kind of physical appearance on their juries because it means that the guy(me) is an 'independent thinker' and they don't like that kind of person on their jury.

I just graduated from community college having studied web development. I've been told that lawyers/attorneys don't like having engineer/mathematician/computer type people on their juries because these sorts of people rely on logic too much. They don't want logical people on their juries.

As of now, the ejuror site for my county says that my jury pool's duty is over - so I don't have to go back tomorrow or wednesday.

Who is automatically rejected from jury duty? Swich your career. :wink:

Sicy said:
Jury Duty is $5.00 a day here in Northern California :|

Wow! I think you get more here in the sticks. :)

But I haven't been called in a coon's age (a little hick talk for ya! :) ).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom