Damnit! I have jury duty! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 09:04 AM
Correct BVS.
Sorry about that.

On a separate note: has anyone actually received one of these things and not appeared nor called or anything? Just wondering.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:19 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Actually you don't have to vote, just register to vote.
I don't think it's just people registered to vote anymore. I was away in Europe when I was called in, and I thought it strange since I am not registered to vote. I also do not have a driver's license. I'm deferred until September and then I have to go in. Perhaps they do it now if you have an ID card or something.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sevikins
Correct BVS.
Sorry about that.

On a separate note: has anyone actually received one of these things and not appeared nor called or anything? Just wondering.
I got one in April and couldn't go b/c I'd used all my sick days for classes and would begin losing one letter grade for each additional day missing. I e-mailed someone and she said I would be deferred. My friend's dad said you can defer twice if you want, so I guess you can just call/e-mail and ask to be deferred. Your name WILL come up again though. I thought I'd get out for sure b/c my uncle is in charge of the county jail, but they didn't care this time!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:26 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:04 AM
civic duty
Old 07-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sevikins
Correct BVS.
Sorry about that.

A friend of mine didn't show, and called to apologize...they said no big deal, don't worry about it, you didn't even get called anyway.

I was called once about two years ago. I was mad. I've always wanted to serve on a jury, but it's so disorganized and difficult that I was not happy going! I was called too, stood there for 5 minutes as they stared at a clipboard and then said "You are all dismissed, trial is cancelled." I was there all of 10 minutes, but had to wait a half hour for my ride to come back!

MY mom actually made it quite far, which was really bizarre since it was a case my dad was testifying on! She figured it out instantly and kept trying to tell them she wasn't suitable, but they wouldn't even listen. She could have tainted the whole jury.
It was an incredibly bizarre draw, one of the other jurors knew one of the victims and they wouldn't let her go either.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:00 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

I wasn't selected. I was placed in the front of the room though so I was in the part of the group that took the main questioning. I was the first prospective juror the prosecutor got rid of. Why?

My guesses:

I'm an unemployed 20 year old - aka I don't have much credibility in their eyes. I guess.

My hair is long - and I mean ponytail long - and I have a full beard. I've been told that lawyers/attorneys don't like to have males with that kind of physical appearance on their juries because it means that the guy(me) is an 'independent thinker' and they don't like that kind of person on their jury.

I just graduated from community college having studied web development. I've been told that lawyers/attorneys don't like having engineer/mathematician/computer type people on their juries because these sorts of people rely on logic too much. They don't want logical people on their juries.

As of now, the ejuror site for my county says that my jury pool's duty is over - so I don't have to go back tomorrow or wednesday.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:06 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Who is automatically rejected from jury duty? Swich your career.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #23
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:04 AM
Jury Duty is $5.00 a day here in Northern California
Old 07-18-2005, 09:28 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Jury Duty is $5.00 a day here in Northern California
Wow! I think you get more here in the sticks.

But I haven't been called in a coon's age (a little hick talk for ya! ).