Dakota Fanning To Play Rape Scene

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dakota can wear illusion fabric. This is commonly used in figure skating costumes. Some of the resulting costumes are ugly as hell, but they have no psychological impact on twelve-year old figure skaters.

I don't think the nudity vs. fabric is the main issue here. As someone mentioned earlier, it must be emotionally stressful to get into the role of a rape victim. I have a hard time imagining myself, an adult, playing that role. Not necessarily the filming and what will show, but really putting on that face and trying to act how a rape victim would act. Dakota is such a fine actress I'm sure she's pulled it off, but it couldn't have been easy or it wouldn't be any good (or bad, I guess).

Devlin said:
Personally, I think you guys who are going apeshit over this are losign your frikkin' minds.

Dakota woull be neck deep in adults. It's hardly likely that she'll actually be skin nude at any time. They have these wonderful inventions called body stockings, that have the look of bare skin without exposing bare skin. And I really, REALLY doubt that girl's boobies are going to be filmed at any point.

Get. Over. Yourselves.

Really.

It's just not that traumatic.

You're so going to fit in here.

OK, I get it, it's the emotional impact of playing a rape victim and dealing with the emotions that's the issue here. You're right, illusion fabric wouldn't do a damn bit of good when an emotional trauma is involved. Just surviving the trauma is too much for an adult, not to mention a twelve-year-old.

See, thing is, the girl is NOT going to be raped. Likely, she won't even be in the same room with the guy. Editing, editing, editing. And, likely enough, they can probably find a body 'double'. I'm not much taller than Dakota, myself. Were I at my idea weight, a bit of bandaging could remove quite a bit of adultfeatures. And if the editors are any good, they can make lots of things disappear.

Stop getting so worked up. They - and she - can handle it without traumatizing the child.

I'm biased. I went through a rape experience when I was eighteen years old and still haven't forgotten it. I'm a lousy person to try to discuss this objectively.

It seems that acting is just going through the motions, especially for film where it's not on a stage to an audience but just repeats of shots and scences and dialogue. The example I gave of Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver was a very good one since for that role they used her older sister as a body double for unsuitable scenes and when they were staging the props she saw how it was all done.

A_Wanderer said:
It seems that acting is just going through the motions, especially for film where it's not on a stage to an audience but just repeats of shots and scences and dialogue. The example I gave of Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver was a very good one since for that role they used her older sister as a body double for unsuitable scenes and when they were staging the props she saw how it was all done.

The bottom line is that she did not experience the trauma first hand, and trust me, it's a trauma. That's what's got me sitting on the proverbial fence.

Of course it's trauma it is violation on fronts both subtle and gross but this is about a film and not reality, it is about the ability of actors to convey emotion and reaction to a crime that is sadly all too common. Films like this while controversial and perhaps objectionable can be of benefit in raising awareness - I would stake good money on Dakota not being warped by that particular experience (the business of child acting in general though is a different matter) and would hope that flims that adress these issues could help somebody somewhere (even though it seems to be a limited release sort of film).

A_Wanderer said:
It seems that acting is just going through the motions, especially for film where it's not on a stage to an audience but just repeats of shots and scences and dialogue.

But are really great actors "just going through the motions"? Aren't they great because they can almost put themselves into the physical and emotional states of being they are portraying? Because they can take a script that described "the motions" and make it something real?

Personally, I'd feel uncomfortable "playing" a rape victim just for a sex ed class simulation drama. For some it hits way too close to home.

However, this decision is between Dakota and her parents and only they know what's best for her. Knowing almost nothing about the scene, I trust their judgment and respect their decision.

Back
Top Bottom