Dakota Fanning To Play Rape Scene - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2006, 01:20 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:28 PM
I am reminded of Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:22 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER
I have totally lost all respect for her parents.Even if DF says she can do and wanted to do the scene, a 12 year old child has no idea how she will feel when the scene is over with, how many times it will be done over and what it will look like on screen. I truly think its terrible and everyone is entitled to their opinion on the subject.
I agree.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #48
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I think it's a horrible idea. I wouldn't let my daughter play that role.
I agree,unless they are juust thinking abouut awards.That is wrong.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

I think that her parents have a much better idea of what their child is capable of doing than anyone here. I think it is rather lacking in taste to pass such harsh judgment on them over this.

Melon
Old 07-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I am reminded of Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver.

and it's clear the damage that was done -- that one specific scene turned her gay.

(sorry, but i actually had to deal with my first ever incident of behind-my-back homophobia last night, so i'm a little irritated ... but this is not the thread for that)
Old 07-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I have to admit, this kind of turns my stomach since it involves such a young actress. But then again, no one here has seen the actual scene in question or knows exactly how it was filmed.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I think that her parents have a much better idea of what their child is capable of doing than anyone here. I think it is rather lacking in taste to pass such harsh judgment on them over this.

Melon
I completely agree with this.

Irvine, sorry to hear of your experience.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
Irvine, sorry to hear of your experience.

eh, it's no biggie, it was just disappointing.

i'll find another time and place to bring it up though.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:55 AM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

why do you assume your judgement is better than Dakota Fanning's mother's judgement?

it seems to me that she is in the situatino, and you aren't, so how are you in a position to judge?

and as has been said, there's no "simulated rape scene." scenes in film are created in the editing room, in all likelihood, it was filmed without putting Ms. Fanning in any sort of position to be traumatized by the scenario.
Irvine, answer to your questions: I'm a Mom & $ and cents do not cloud my judgement as a parent.

Just the thought of having your child in a situation like that real or unreal is just horrifying to me. I don't understand why anyone would want to put their child through that. It is hard enough for adults to deal with a situation such as never mind a 12 year old. Bottom line is no one knows not even her parents, on the outcome this will have on her emotional state in the future.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:20 AM   #55
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:28 AM
I've not got much to add. I do look at some movies and wonder (beyond editing) what is happening with the parents. Even crass language. When I saw the unedited Tyhe Excorcist, I was wondering more what the parents were thinking, than paying attention to the scene. Some things need to be made and need to be shown. I understand that. However, the cost is difficult to measure and no one in a healthy frame of mind can be comfortable with a 12 year old acting in such a role. This isn't a comment on the message. That alone cannot be shielded and should not. Should any Dakota Fanning actor be, though?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #56
Refugee

Local Time: 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and it's clear the damage that was done -- that one specific scene turned her gay.
And got a president shot.

Considering what 12 year olds are exposed to daily in the world, their general maturity level (especially ones with ambition), and the support around an A-list child actor, I just don't see this as a detrimental move.

If anything, if this film handles the subject matter well (sensitively and non-judgementally), Dakota and the audience will have a better understanding and empathy for those who ACTUALLY live through such horrible experiences.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #57
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER

Irvine, answer to your questions: I'm a Mom & $ and cents do not cloud my judgement as a parent.

There are parents on here, myself included, who disagree with you.

Besides, it's an indie movie, I'm sure she could have gotten roles in major films during the time she was filming this that would have garnered much more money than this role, if it were a matter of greed on the part of her parents.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:01 PM   #58
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
first of all we haven't seen the scene, so we don't know until what point that girl is going to be envolved in its making. Rape and violent scenes can be represented through symbolic images, maybe we will see DF in her underwear for two seconds and the rest of the scene will be constructed with light, sounds, and images which can represent the rape without showing total nudity or penetration or whatever.

* Unfortunately, violence (of any kind) against children is a reality, and it would be naive to deny its presence in the arts and the media. Have you ever read the original versions of many Fairy Tales?. now I'm not talking about this thread in particular, but as I said before, to deny the ugliness in art is to deny the ugliness of the world.

Lore.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Muggsy
to deny the ugliness in art is to deny the ugliness of the world.

Lore.
This is very true. I've seen ugliness in art. Hell, I've created it--I'm an artist, and not everything I do is sweetness and light. I've used self-censorship, not taking a painting out of the studio, to try to control this, but I don't have perfect taste. No one does.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:28 PM   #60
War Child

Personally, I think you guys who are going apeshit over this are losign your frikkin' minds.

Dakota woull be neck deep in adults. It's hardly likely that she'll actually be skin nude at any time. They have these wonderful inventions called body stockings, that have the look of bare skin without exposing bare skin. And I really, REALLY doubt that girl's boobies are going to be filmed at any point.

Get. Over. Yourselves.

Really.

It's just not that traumatic.