Cut the Pork fund Universal Health - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2002, 05:08 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
John McCain=a "RINO"
ie-

R-epublican
I-n
N-ame
O-nly

We have more consertative Republicans -gay conservative Republicans -more Republican than McCain who I voted for in this state..

The only thing cool about mcCain is his war nostalga..and he has a wife 25 yrs younger than him

DB9
I have to disagree with my esteemed Bush Lover from AZ.

McCain is not a Republican? What is he? He has proven Conservative Voting Record.

Now I am off topic.....I still have seen ZERO posts that identify pork spending that people would get rid of to funs Universal Health.

Old 11-19-2002, 07:56 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Bureaucracy. How many bureaucrats and departments do we really need?
Dreadsox,

The biggest pork is the pig itself. We can try to find money on a nickle and dime basis, but Melon hit it right here.

Too many departments and oversized headcounts. Efficeincy is not the model, the matra is "spend your budget (or overspend), otherwise it might shrink."

Old 11-22-2002, 07:14 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Dreadsox,

The biggest pork is the pig itself.

Leave Teddy Kennedy out of this!!!!!

Bama, NB, Melon thanks...good ideas.

Peace
Old 11-24-2002, 08:21 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

This just proved something to me.....

People would rather FLAME the US on this board, than actually sit down and identify wastefuly spent money so that Health Care can be a reality.

As for the poeple who posted...thanks for sharing your ideas.....

Given the number of people who consistently criticize the US Gov't here.......I find it quite all quite humorous......

My generalization for the day.....

People would rather bitch about something than figure out a resolution.

Peace
Old 11-24-2002, 04:20 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 10:40 AM
Check this out:
http://w3.access.gpo.gov/usbudget/fy2003/maindown.html

I spent awhile looking at various spreadsheets/pdf files and really need a breakdown and explaination of the details to decide what to cut.

The only thing that really stuck out at me was that we spend millions to the Postal Service (under Commerce and housing credit). In 2001, it was $93 million on budget and an additional $4064 off budget. I'm not sure what that means, but it seems to me that the US Postal Service should be able to support itself and contribute to the budget.

I thought that the extra equipment needed for the antrax scare may have been the cause, but before Sept. 11th there is a trend of $ being spent to the Postal Service. In 2000 - $3812 million, 1999 $5636 million, etc.

While I am not a believer of tax increases, I do cringe when there is a tax decrease. When the cost of living increases the cost of services, how can the government get by on less? All the pork cut can be used to fund new initiatives such as free college, universal health, etc. If there is more extra - why not make sure the social security fund is secure? After all of that is accomplished and the government has a fat bank account -then maybe then the taxes are too high.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:56 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

OK....I found more pork!!!!

Not a lot in the grand scheme of things, however something that I feel is not necessary for my tax $$$$$$ to be spent on.

All they had to do was call Daimond to get the answer!

Seriously....how many things like this are we paying for??????

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20021223-12520450.htm
Old 01-09-2003, 08:34 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Well......more money that is being stolen(allegedly):

Tenet Sued by U.S. Over Medicare Bills
Thu January 9, 2003 05:48 PM ET
By Kim Dixon
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Tenet Healthcare Corp. THC.N , the nation's No. 2 for-profit hospital chain, was sued on Thursday by the U.S. Justice Department for allegedly submitting fraudulent claims to Medicare.

The case, filed in Los Angeles, was brought on behalf of Medicare, a government program for senior citizens, and alleges that Tenet and its hospitals violated the False Claims Act by manipulating reimbursement codes to enhance its revenues.

The Justice Department is alleging it is owed about $323 million in damages, a spokesperson said.

Tenet warned earlier on Thursday that it expected the lawsuit shortly because talks with the department had come to a standstill.

Most of the alleged violations took place while Tenet was operating under a Corporate Integrity Agreement it had reached with the Department of Health and Human Services.

The Justice Department alleges in the suit that Tenet falsely certified to the government that it was in compliance with Medicare regulations and the terms of the Corporate Integrity Agreement although it knew it was not.

Some analysts believe Tenet may have its back against the wall as details of the case make it hard for the company to defend itself.

"The government may not want to settle, and the problem with this issue of coding (for Medicare claims) is it's very easy to accuse and difficult to defend," said Nancy Weaver, an analyst at Stephens Inc.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is querying other hospitals' coding practices as well.

Tenet shares went into a tailspin since Oct. 28 when a Wall Street analyst raised questions in a research note about whether Tenet could sustain Medicare funds received for treating very sick patients, which accounted for more than $750 million of revenue for its fiscal year ended May. This has led to a separate audit of its Medicare payments.

The company also faces scrutiny because two doctors at one of its Redding, California hospital have been accused of performing unnecessary heart surgeries. That inquiry is ongoing.

SENT WARNING

Tenet said it could not come to agreement with the Justice Department over how Tenet bills the government in connection with four categories of conditions, including pneumonia.

That prompted the company to warn that talks were not going well.

Sheryl Skolnick of Fulcrum Global Partners said questions are still unanswered as to Tenet's prospects because of changes to contracts with managed care companies.

"We don't know what the risks are going to be with respect to negotiations with its contracts," Skolnick said. Some managed care contracts pay Tenet based on what the hospital charges government programs.

Tenet, which operates 114 hospitals in 16 states, had previously disclosed in its filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission that it was among the providers that the government was scrutinizing.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:22 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:40 AM

A large national healthcare provider based here in Birmingham has been sued by the DOJ for similar claims.

~U2Alabama