Cultural Differences and the Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
International Standards Part II

I'm pondering how different cultures perceive:
* what is considered taboo
* levels of acceptable nudity and/ or violence
* senses of humour
* what constitutes offensive language

How will the internet thrive and permit people to be themselves both in a cultural context and as individuals? Is it necessary for all participants to adopt the most conservative model and restrict conversation? Or is there some way that differences can be accepted?

My fear is that the lowest common denominator will "win" and internet forums will become more and more restrictive in permitable discussion topics and language.

So basically limiting Free Speach, yea could do but the internet shall hopefully continue to be a fucked up international forum:wink:

This is an interesting topic. Different cultures do have different norms as to what's acceptable to put in publications and such. Stuff that's considered terribly indecent in some cultures is perfectly acceptable in others. This might cause some problems on some sites or whatever.

You'll never restrict the internet as it's used by a vast majority of individuals who aren't bound by restriction. Providers and sponsors and all those who are can impose restrictions passed on from govts etc, but you'll never get Joe Schmoe to give a rat's. Losing battle and dumb to try I reckon.

But it does happen. It happens here and on other forums Im on. Things that I, and some other people posting, dont find offensive at all are banned / closed / deleted.

Hi Beli
I have posted in other active forums where this issue has come up - particularly in relation to the way we use words.

Even in the English speaking countries there is a different level of acceptance of what constitutes swearing - I probably can't demonstrate here as no doubt there is a swear filter as from what I read there seeems to be high level of regulation here!

However rest assured that the worst thing you can do on the internet is use racial or other stereotyping epithets. Its just not on and completely unnecessary.

What if the regulations stop conversations, inhibit people from speaking incase they are banned or the thread deleted?

I would like to give examples but I think this thread would be closed if I did. :slant:

Well Beli I am new to this forum and still trying to get a handle on the politics - or figure out where and what to post my interests!

You look like a long time poster - are you finding that posting about the music and the band is not satisfying enough and want to engage in more risky discussions?

Sorry not sure I know what the issue is - being a newbie and stuff?

LOL I rarely post about music.

I will give you an example from another site. Someone is requesting that another poster be banned because, and to use their words, they used "the F word".

Not only is the "F word" not offensive to me but the fact that someone would be banned for using it bizarre.

Here there are taboos. This is also a very conservative site, topics wise. Before everyone tells me to leave, I would like to discuss why the most conservative model seems to be the way. This is so as to not offend the most conservative types. But then by doing so the less conservative types are offended because the conservation is restricted/gagged.

Its not just this site. Its many sites, especially the ones that have an international audience. How do these sites attempt to coordinate all nations? At the moment, I dont think many do.

Ok I see the issue now Belli - thanks for the heads up on the social culture here. Not too much of a biggie for me but I can see that after a while that could be a real pain for those of us who live and breathe in the real word - I hate swear filters but I also hate swearing - what a dichotomy!

I post at a board that bans certain words but you can creatively get round it - and the convos can be robust and stimulating.

I hate censorship but I also know how annoying it is to be trolled. Sometimes controls are necessary.

No swear words are not an issue for me - but lack of respect for alternative views are far worse.

The internet is a blessing and a curse. It brings people to gether - and surely communication is the most important aspect in bringing cultures together.

Interested in all your views on this matter BTW.

It's not just certain words though, it's sometimes when things get at all heated, some people call for threads to be closed (on lots of sites, not just this one).

Beli, I think the resoning behind using the most conservative model for what's acceptable is the same reasoning behind the "family hour" rules on TV -- that is "well, everyone can watch 'family hour' ." Doesn't matter if it's mindless drivel, it's "clean" and that's all that counts (OK most TV is drivel anyway...).

I am on one site which has no big set of written rules -- the motto is "play nice" and that translates to (because we weren't playing very nice :huh: ) to -- you can bitch all you want, but you can't call someone a bitch. I find that quite workable (plus no one said anything about calling someone an asshole :shifty: :) ).

i've never really understood people being offended by a bit of colourful language or discussions involving sex or violence or drugs or any other supposedly taboo subject. the truly offensive things in the world are seeing people dying from starvation while we in the west are pissing money away on christmas food that'll be thrown in the bin next week, or realising that over a hundred thousand people died last week because their countries were too poor to invest in the technology that could have saved lives. there are so many fucked up situations in the world that i find it hard to get worked up over someone using the 'c-word' or telling someone to fuck off.

as for censorship on the internet...i've not been around fym much, but glancing back through the last few pages, it seems laughable that threads are being closed because 'it looks as though there'll be an argument soon' or because the discussion gets a bit heated.

Back
Top Bottom