Crumbs in light of our current world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedpoet

Refugee
I posted this in the Musical Journey forum, but I think it fits here to. Many fans seem puzzled about the lyrics to Crumbs (more tha just not understanding the "ate all your friends.") From the moment i read the title i thought of a particular Bible passage. I'm interested in getting your opinions on my questions at the end of this.

"Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, 'Lord, Song of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession. '
Jesus did not answer a word. So his dsciples came to him and urged him, 'Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.'
He answered, 'I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.'
The woman came and knelt before him. 'Lord, help me!' she said.
He replied, 'It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs.'
'Yes Lord,' she said, 'but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master's table.
Then Jesus said, 'Woman you have faith. Your request is granted.' "

If Bono is using this scripture, metaphorically speaking who are the children? Who are the dogs? Who is the Canaanite woman of great faith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom