Criminal Background Checks For Prom Dates - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well that's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't mean it's right.

What next no one with a GPA under C can't go?
actually... where i went to high school and where i used to work ( ) did have a stipulation where if you were on academic probation you could not attend any and all "non-educational" school activities... which included participation in athletics, dances, and yes, even prom.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
actually... where i went to high school and where i used to work ( ) did have a stipulation where if you were on academic probation you could not attend any and all "non-educational" school activities... which included participation in athletics, dances, and yes, even prom.
I bet students who have criminal records would be barred from activities such as a prom, why would you open the door to non-students (frequently college age and older) with criminal records?

Has the prom become a full entitlement package?

Old 05-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:05 AM
The prom information packet that students at my school receive when they purchase prom tickets states that non-student prom attendees are subject to police background checks.

I'm not surprised. I asked a few students about it today and they didn't seem too upset by it.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:20 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

One of the local Boston tv stations said that Dennis-Yarmouth have changed their mind and will let them go to the prom, but the school also defended their original decision...perhaps they didn't like seeing their school on the front page of the Boston Herald and caved.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:26 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

another prom issue

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/myr...chonline_local

"The alcohol-themed items may "seem harmless, but the world has changed to where everybody is sensitive," said Hugh Wallace, assistant principal.

"We would never have a prom pledge and then do something that says the opposite," he said.

Conway High School senior Kurt Gerald, 17, said all the fuss is much ado about nothing. He and the other Conway students got a mug and a photo album, according to Collins, the teacher who coordinated the prom.

"I don't think it promoted drinking and thought it was a nice party favor," said Gerald about the mug that now sits in his china cabinet.

"They should give teens a little more trust and trust us to use our judgment, instead of stereotyping us."

Boston Herald

"Superintendent Carol Woodbury said in a statement they will allow the prom dates to hit the dance floor while the school and police continue to “investigate the matter.”
The state is looking into whether school administrators broke the law when they ran Criminal Offender Record Information checks on nonstudents attending the prom and allegedly didn’t get their consent. State law allows schools to run CORI checks on school volunteers. Violation of the CORI law can mean up to a year in jail or up to a $5,000 fine.
“There is a very legitimate need for CORI information for schools, but we need to make sure those who access CORI information are doing so properly and for the appropriate reasons,” said Kelly Nantel of the Criminal History Systems Board. "