Criminal Background Checks For Prom Dates - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:58 AM
I'm sure there are some schools out there that have GPA requirements. At my high school, you couldn't be on a school athletic team if you were failing more than one class. Anything outside the classroom that is sponsered by the school is subject to whatever rules the school has. I don't think this is unreasonable at all.

In college, I was put on probation for violating the alcohol policy as a sophomore and was not allowed to run for student congress, write for the paper, etc even after my time on probation was up. Rules are rules. If you go the school, then they apply to you.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
I'm sure there are some schools out there that have GPA requirements. At my high school, you couldn't be on a school athletic team if you were failing more than one class. Anything outside the classroom that is sponsered by the school is subject to whatever rules the school has. I don't think this is unreasonable at all.

In college, I was put on probation for violating the alcohol policy as a sophomore and was not allowed to run for student congress, write for the paper, etc even after my time on probation was up. Rules are rules. If you go the school, then they apply to you.
Well GPA requirements make sense when it comes to athletics. Athletics take up much time, and if grades slip then then the grades come first...

One night's not going to affect grades.

So yes rules may be rules, but it doesn't mean they are all good or even logical rules.

Are they going to do background checks on guest speakers, and all other visitors?

Old 05-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I would guess that the intention of a rule like this is to prevent sexual abusers or those facing assualt type charges from attending the prom. But I agree that a line needs to be drawn. Perhaps there was a rule that said anyone convicted of a felony or drug/alcohol related charge can't attend. If that's the case, then no one can really complain. If someone with a speeding ticket or other traffic violation was allowed to attend and no specific rule existed, then I could see more an issue.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #19
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
But even convicted felons have rights once they have paid their debt to society. And for all we know this guy may have vowed to stay clean after he got convicted.
So by that token, we shouldn't have a public list of sexual offenders because hey, they paid their debt to society.

If you are convicted of a crime, there are consequences, plain and simple, that may go beyond a fine or community service or jail or anything else. I bet you $20 that he would have to legally disclose this conviction on any job application for the next ten years and people won't hire him because of that. The school district has an obligation to set a good example for students and therefore, they created this rule. If you don't like the consequences, you shouldn't have done the crime in the first place.

And what about the other students whose dates PASSED a background check? They all probably spent $500 too. Seems a little unfair that they would have to go through that only to have the school district bend the rules for some whiny mother.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

So by that token, we shouldn't have a public list of sexual offenders because hey, they paid their debt to society.

If you are convicted of a crime, there are consequences, plain and simple, that may go beyond a fine or community service or jail or anything else. I bet you $20 that he would have to legally disclose this conviction on any job application for the next ten years and people won't hire him because of that. The school district has an obligation to set a good example for students and therefore, they created this rule. If you don't like the consequences, you shouldn't have done the crime in the first place.

And what about the other students whose dates PASSED a background check? They all probably spent $500 too. Seems a little unfair that they would have to go through that only to have the school district bend the rules for some whiny mother.
The rule seems unfair to begin with, this isn't a job...

I think we have to be careful about branding people with Scarlet Letters...
Old 05-09-2006, 04:57 PM   #21
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:58 PM
Come on how many 18-19 year olds out there now are in possession of marijuana and haven't been caught for it? (I'm pretty sure quite a few)

We do stupid things, when we are that age (which I am)....how many of them have illegally drank, how many have stolen some sweets from a pick n mix when they were 6...

You just might as well cancel the whole damn prom, because most of the people going have probably done something stupid they haven't been caught for.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

They said on the news that the Mass Department of Education thinks the school may be out of line. They briefly showed a form that every student who plans to attend the prom has to sign, it looked like it said that the school reserves the right to refuse an attendee- but it said nothing about CORI checks. I don't know what the law is in MA regarding CORI checks and who can do them and for what reason, how the information can be used, disclosure, etc. The school is "reviewing" the policy, probably because of the media attention and fear of possible legal problems. My guess is that the school will abolish the policy.

The school might have good intentions but they can't break the law.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Students who want to bring non-students to prom at the school I work at must have them approved. I'll ask tomorrow if that includes a background check.

I'm not opposed to it. I guess all teachers must hate students as well.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:58 PM
I'm off to boil a frog.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Like I've said, it has to be a prerequisite that you must hate children to be a school administrator. I'm very glad I'm out of high school.

Melon
Take it easy there.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Take it easy there.
I know. I consider you to be an exception to the rule.

Melon
Old 05-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
Students who want to bring non-students to prom at the school I work at must have them approved. I'll ask tomorrow if that includes a background check.
That's how it was in my high school. Not sure if they did a background check but they WERE looking for trouble makers. Seemed reasonable then
Old 05-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

AS for CORI checks.....

Every and any ADULT that volunteers or works in a school is CORI checked. I just filled out my paperwork today for my annual review.

My understanding is that if there is anyone who is going to have any chance at one on one contact with children there has to be a CORI check.

As an administrator....

I have an issue with the handling of this. Administrators are not allowed to make policy. The Legally Binding Document is the school handbook, which is approved not by Administraotrs, but by the school committee...the elected body of the community. That is where I question the legality of this.

However, I deal mostly with Elementary aged children...who I LIKE tremendously. I guess you can do your job and like children.

I am wondering if there have been problems in the past at Dennis-Yarmouth with prom issues and people not from the school. I am not hearing that children with records are having issue, just people who are not students are being banned. I question if they have any legal rights to be there at all. I also question if the School Committee has ANY say over the jurisdiction of NON STUDENT attendies to the prom.

Interesting case. personally, I would ban them....because I clearly Hate children.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

I guess all teachers must hate students as well.
I was always pretty sure of that.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I know. I consider you to be an exception to the rule.

Melon
Funny story....

My office got broken into and almost all of my Red Sox memorobelia was stolen.....back in January. I should not say broken into,,,,,I NEVER LOCKED the office....silly me thought who would want to go in my office.

Anyways....last week...someone approached me and let me know it was not me they were out to get. It was high school kids who thought it was the old VP who treated them poorly. He happened to be a sox fan too.

My stuff is suddenly reappearing....lol....because they realized they got the wrong guy. The really NICE thing about it all is that students have been giving me new Red Sox stuff to replace it as word has cirulated to the community about it.

I received a card from a student last week, who said she was so happy I had come to this school. She was mad that my things were stolen so she gave me a Sox Pennant.

The problem with education is that everyone remembers the BAD administrators or teachers. And EVERYONE knows at least one bad teacher. Its the teachers who are stready and do the little things day in and day out that are forgotten. That is a shame.