Crime is on the RISE in the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the Economy flops, the crime rate goes up. Back in 1999, they were reporting the amazing drop in crime, but back then the economy was red hot.

i'm so cranky right now

Early 1990s = Minneapolis being the murder capitol of the nation. "Murderapolis" if you will.

I think that we are on the cusp of seeing a lot more violent crimes. :mad:

STING2 said:
When the Economy flops, the crime rate goes up. Back in 1999, they were reporting the amazing drop in crime, but back then the economy was red hot.

I agree.

Thus, do you think, that poverty is a major cause of crime? The Kennedy Administration attempted to appeal to upper class society in government aid to ending poverty by making the connection that they would benefit from an great decrease in crime. However, conservative groups like the Heritage Foundation wish to blame crime on everything *but* poverty.

What is your verdict?

Melon

I agree. Envy sets in and can take hold of people. Especially in the United States where some people have SO MUCH and some have SO LITTLE....I mean to be homeless and hungry on the street as a BMW passes me would piss me off too.

Weather also has a lot to do with murders. In Minneapolis in August it's hot. And sticky. And icky all around. So people sit outside to get the minute breeze passing by, drinking cold beers trying not to go insane. People are agitated in this weather, combined with liquor and most everybody outside leads to a LOT of murders. This is the same in Chicago, New York, LA, and Miami (amongst others).

I agree that poverty is one of the major root causes of crime, especially over a good length of time. The problem is how to eliminate poverty. I don't think doing that is as simple as it seems. The silver bullet solution has not arrived yet.

I don't think that a government program to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor in the form of "aid" is the way to go, because it makes the mistaken assumption that "aid" is all they need to get back on their feet. Clearly without jobs, well-funded mental health facilities and affordable and widely available vocational training the homeless (and anyone living below the poverty line who poses a threat) have no hope of getting themselves back on their feet.

Lilly I heard that somewhere too, about the weather. It was said that more crime is committed during windy weather than any other time. I only heard this so can't back it up really. But I thought it was interesting.
Lately there has definately been an increase in racial based crimes with assaults and vandalism etc. Its looking fairly grim for the near future.

I think we can see a correlation between crime and a number of different factors, notably poverty. Correlation is different than cause. There are plenty of poor people who are probably the most kind, generous in society. There are plenty of rich who have no problem committing crimes for their own benefit. Addressing the correlation factor attacks a symptom, not a cause.

Either way, addressing poverty should be a concern independent of crime. We will always have poor among us, at least we can give them true hope.

Back
Top Bottom