Creationism isn't Right - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Creationism isn't Right

Evolution is a theory that elegantly explains the scientific facts better than other explanations for the diversity of life on Earth and has been verified by the major discoveries in biology and geology since it was first put forward.

Creationism and intelligent design each hold the fallacy that they depend on untestable elements thus rendering them unscientific and unworthy for discussion on the same level.

Discuss.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:10 PM
oh yeah?

prove to me that God didn't create the Earth in 6 days, Mr. Smarty-Pants.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

how else are you going to defend creationism?

do you not believe in the Theory of Gravity or the Theory of Plate Tectonics either?

the blood pressure thing is a sign that your beliefs are being challenged. accept the challenge, or don't.
I read an account of how Plate Tectonics was rejected in the early 20th Century by the American geological community and it paints a much more subtle picture of why and how it was rejected and how other theories made more sense at the time - it's great because it shows how smart people can be wrong even for the right reasons and how an actual scientific debate takes place; so maybe that ones a little unfair. As for gravity you have to remember that Newtons theory of gravity were improved by Einstein and reconciling a theory of gravity with other forces still hasn't occured. Gravity happens and our explanations for it change as we learn more - the essence of good science.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
She's the One

Local Time: 09:10 AM
What about evolution as a means to God's ends? It makes a whole lotta sense when considered alongside an understanding of karma and transmigration of souls.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

what is the point ?

the few Religious people that will share their opinions in this forum

are supposed to step up and take a few on the chin?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
What about evolution as a means to God's ends? It makes a whole lotta sense when considered alongside an understanding of karma and transmigration of souls.
Can we include other crazy voodoo too? How can it make sense when theres no need for it. God isn't needed to make evolution work since it's purely a function of varying replication and differential reproductive success; putting in untestable metaphysical ideas like God or Karma which are equally untestable and effectively untrue makes the entire concept wrong.

The only reason to ruin a good thing with theism is if you have to compromise one to avoid compromising the other.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
what is the point ?

Why derail a perfectly good Iraq thread?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

First off, if you're looking for scientific evidence to prove or validate Christianity, you wont find it. That being said, I dont believe in evolution. I believe 100% in creationism. I believe God created Adam and Eve, day and night, the plants and the animals, the sea and the sky in 6 days. Christianity is a religion. It takes FAITH to believe what you believe, and it will never, ever be proven scientifically, and quite frankly, I dont want it to be.

To me, the athiest approach of the big bang is hard to believe. To me, THAT takes faith to believe. Creationism is a no-brainer to me and surely millions of Christians across the planet. You're right that creation will never and cannot be proven, but science isnt everything.

If you consider yourself a Christian and want to believe in evolution, knock yourself out, but thats not for me. I refuse to accept the notion that my great great... grandfather was a monkey.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Can we include other crazy voodoo too? How can it make sense when theres no need for it. God isn't needed to make evolution work since it's purely a function of varying replication and differential reproductive success; putting in untestable metaphysical ideas like God or Karma which are equally untestable and effectively untrue makes the entire concept wrong.

The only reason to ruin a good thing with theism is if you have to compromise one to avoid compromising the other.
You realize you're as absolute and as ridiculously rigid as the Christians you bait and make fun of, don't you?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
what is the point ?

I agree.

I am right and you are wrong. Now, come join in this thread so I can continue to tell you you're wrong!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:44 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

You realize you're as absolute and as ridiculously rigid as the Christians you bait and make fun of, don't you?
funny, Martha

recently I also concluded the Wanderer was one of the most "Religious" posters in this forum, too.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #12
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
Christianity is a religion. It takes FAITH to believe what you believe
Well said.

Quote:
If you consider yourself a Christian and want to believe in evolution, knock yourself out, but thats not for me. I refuse to accept the notion that my great great... grandfather was a monkey.
Honest question: why is the notion that our ancient ancestors were primates so offensive?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I read an account of how Plate Tectonics was rejected in the early 20th Century by the American geological community and it paints a much more subtle picture of why and how it was rejected and how other theories made more sense at the time - it's great because it shows how smart people can be wrong even for the right reasons and how an actual scientific debate takes place;
Alfred Wegener -- opposed by the "scientific consensus" of his time but eventually proven correct, by the truth.

A history lesson some of the "the debate is over" global warming alarmists might take heed of.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #14
Refugee

Teach evolution in science class, teach some creationism as part of philosophy class, and let the kids fill in the blanks.

Not many in this forum are about to have their minds changed.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I know, im so narrow - but if I would accept God when there was evidence does that make me agnostic?

As far as being religious I would call my beliefs on existential matters conditional uncertainty; I can't reject or accept the absolute truth of higher order in the universe because theres nothing to make that judgement on and the absence of evidence and the better explanations for what has been taken as proof (emotions, morals, life, universal constants etc.) effectively negate them and make a materialistic universe more plausible. Being rigid in philosophy towards it (one that questions the results and is open to change - unlike religions) is different from being religious (theres no leap of faith in unbelief) and putting them on the same level is as wrong as expecting to put the beliefs of a Hindu on par with that of a Christian (cutting both ways).