Creationism isn't Right - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

Alfred Wegener -- opposed by the "scientific consensus" of his time but eventually proven correct, by the truth.

A history lesson some of the "the debate is over" global warming alarmists might take heed of.
A fact based one, as is climate change; although having politicians bluster their bullshit does distort it all.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:00 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:59 PM
I don't have the absolute truth on this, I do accept science, where it is verifiable.

but, when I was a believer in a God creation theory

one question I had was
why monkeys, apes, chimps?

If God did not create them
it would be so much easier.

Believers could say, "Look at man, created in God's Image! There is no other creature like him. Perhaps, God's plan was for wolves, coyotes, bears, weasels and the like to evolve from a common ancestor. But not man. We were created in God's image. Us and us alone."

So why monkeys?
Did God need practice?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Will the progeny of the human species ask the same questions? When we cease to be homo sapiens are we no longer in God's image?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Will the progeny of the human species ask the same questions? When we cease to be homo sapiens are we no longer in God's image?

Does science support that all species keep
adapting and evolving.

Aren't alligators pretty much the same as a million years ago?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Quote:
Why would man evolve? We no longer have any natural enemies, we can change our environment to suit us, and we can enhance ourselves in other ways to survive; surgery, transplants, steroids, diet, etc.

Any changes would be microevolution, not macroevolution into a new species...or extinction I suppose.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:18 PM   #21
Babyface

Local Time: 11:59 PM
evolution vs. christianity

It is laughable that any reaonably intelligent person would even entertain the notion that Genesis 1 and 2 are factually based. I am a Christian too but am smart enough to know that there are nuances in the Bible and that the importance is Jesus' message and his lessons, not a literal reading of the Bible. You would have had to completely suspend any link with reality to believe that Adam and Eve were the first male and female, that Noah actually put two of every animal on an Ark and survived a flood that wiped out the rest of the planet, and that Jonah actually dwelled inside the belly of a whale. Get a brain. These are stories, important as they may be, but to be read in context and with thoughtfulness and an open heart and mind.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

Why would man evolve? We no longer have any natural enemies, we can change our environment to suit us, and we can enhance ourselves in other ways to survive; surgery, transplants, steroids, diet, etc.

The mind.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

The mind.
Well it's not going to get bigger without changes to the female body as well.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:29 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

What a larger incision scar?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Re: evolution vs. christianity

Quote:
Originally posted by Laura1971
It is laughable that any reaonably intelligent person would even entertain the notion that Genesis 1 and 2 are factually based. I am a Christian too but am smart enough to know that there are nuances in the Bible and that the importance is Jesus' message and his lessons, not a literal reading of the Bible. You would have had to completely suspend any link with reality to believe that Adam and Eve were the first male and female, that Noah actually put two of every animal on an Ark and survived a flood that wiped out the rest of the planet, and that Jonah actually dwelled inside the belly of a whale. Get a brain. These are stories, important as they may be, but to be read in context and with thoughtfulness and an open heart and mind.
psh, didn't you know that Dinosaurs sailed on Noah's arc?

Link

Quote:
PETERSBURG, Ky (Reuters) - Like many modern museums, the newest U.S. tourist attraction includes some awesome exhibits -- roaring dinosaurs and a life-sized ship.

ADVERTISEMENT

But only at the Creation Museum in Kentucky do the dinosaurs sail on the ship -- Noah's Ark, to be precise.

The Christian creators of the sprawling museum, unveiled on Saturday, hope to draw as many as half a million people each year to their state-of-the-art project, which depicts the Bible's first book, Genesis, as literal truth.

While the $27 million museum near Cincinnati has drawn snickers from media and condemnation from U.S. scientists, those who believe God created the heavens and the Earth in six days about 6,000 years ago say their views are finally being represented.

"What we've done here is to give people an opportunity to hear information that is not readily available ... to challenge them that really you can believe the Bible's history," said Ken Ham, president of the group Answers in Genesis that founded the museum.

Here exhibits show the Grand Canyon took just days to form during Noah's flood, dinosaurs coexisted with humans and had a place on Noah's Ark, and Cain married his sister to people the earth, among other Biblical wonders.

Scientists, secularists and moderate Christians have pledged to protest the museum's public opening on Monday. An airplane trailing a "Thou Shalt Not Lie" banner buzzed overhead during the museum's opening news conference.

Opponents argue that children who see the exhibits will be confused when they learn in school that the universe is 14 billion years old rather than 6,000.

"Teachers don't deserve a student coming into class saying 'Gee Mrs. Brown, I went to this fancy museum and it said you're teaching me a lie,"' Dr. Eugenie Scott, executive director of the National Center for Science Education, told reporters before the museum opened.

A Gallup poll last year showed almost half of Americans believe that humans did not evolve but were created by God in their present form within the last 10,000 years.

Three of 10 Republican presidential candidates said in a recent debate that they did not believe in evolution.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Re: evolution vs. christianity

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

Link

A Gallup poll last year showed almost half of Americans believe that humans did not evolve but were created by God in their present form within the last 10,000 years.

Wow.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:55 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Re: evolution vs. christianity

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

almost half of Americans
would those would be the Bush voters?

we need do get creationism in the schools
soon if we want to be a two party country.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:12 AM   #28
She's the One

Quote:
(theres no leap of faith in unbelief)
Oh yes there is.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yeah, there is. If I tell two people there's a tiger in the bathroom, behind the closed door, the person who believes that is taking a leap of faith, but the person who thinks that's an absolutely ridiculous suggestion for a bunch of logical reasons is still, without being able to know 100% for sure that there isn't a tiger in the bathroom until the door is opened, basing it on faith. One just might be a more grounded faith than the other, in that one might be believing it because I say it is so and I don't normally make this shit up, and the other disbelieves based on the grounded logic that (a) where the fuck would I get a tiger from in the suburbs of Sydney (b) how the fuck would I get it into the bathroom (c) why is there no other evidence of it outside the bathroom - no trailer attached to my car, no muddy tiger prints or fur in the hallway, me being in possession of all my limbs (etc etc etc).

Not believing in a religious sense is exactly the same leap of faith as believing - seeing as if it wasn't, it wouldn't be because you were able to actually prove the non-existence, but you can't just as much as 'they' can't prove the existence - so it's a leap for both of you.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:25 AM   #30
She's the One

^ Nice analogy.