Creation/Evolution. - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2003, 06:22 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mongpoovian
Plus, if the bible is literal, we are all horrifically inbred. Twice over. Besides having no evidence, genetically or otherwise, that's justy plain creepy.
I am not sure how evolution buys you any comfort on this point.

Old 07-31-2003, 03:26 AM   #77
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 04:04 AM
Quote:
In quantum mechanics, you can actually get an infinite amount of energy from nothing
I'm waiting for the first quantum mechanics powerplants who create energy out of nothing - hooray, we don't need no stinking oil anymore

Old 07-31-2003, 07:32 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I am not sure how evolution buys you any comfort on this point.
Well, I find it more comforting to think that we share a common ancestor with an animal that's already very similar to us as it is, instead of thinking that I am the product of incest.

Angela
Old 07-31-2003, 10:37 AM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:04 PM
Come on now; this talk of being "horrifically inbred" and "product of incest" if creationism is true is kinda ridiculous. Do you realize how far in your family line back you have to go to get back to Cain? Don't you think that somewhere in your family line someone slept with a relative since then, and didn't even have to in order to populate the world?

And I really don't know what this "twice over" bit is. Noah's sons brought their wives on the ark, if that's what's being referred to.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:20 AM   #80
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Come on now; this talk of being "horrifically inbred" and "product of incest" if creationism is true is kinda ridiculous. Do you realize how far in your family line back you have to go to get back to Cain? Don't you think that somewhere in your family line someone slept with a relative since then, and didn't even have to in order to populate the world?

And I really don't know what this "twice over" bit is. Noah's sons brought their wives on the ark, if that's what's being referred to.
Cain would have to sleep with his mother in order to get this world continuing, which I'm sure he didn't marry, then that child would have to sleep with his or her father, brother, sister, or gandparent. Please don't tell me you think this is the way God planned it.

Yes Noah's sons brought their wives, but all their children would have been 1st cousins. I still don't think this sits well.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:55 AM   #81
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
BonoVoxSupastar:

I'm unsure, did the bible mention that Adam and Eve were the only humans ever created or just the first?

Klaus
Old 07-31-2003, 12:06 PM   #82
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
BonoVoxSupastar:

I'm unsure, did the bible mention that Adam and Eve were the only humans ever created or just the first?

Klaus
I think that's part of the point trying to be made, is how literal can you take such passages. I don't believe there are any other mentions of humans being created other than Adam and Eve.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:17 PM   #83
Refugee

BonoVoxSupastar:

Right, but not mentioning only means that they are not important for the whole story, not that it is impossible that there were more created
Well, anyway just speculation
Klaus
Old 07-31-2003, 12:41 PM   #84
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Very true, but now you're interpreting beyond what's written and most creationist I've met don't do that. They believe it's not their right to interpret beyond the story.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:00 PM   #85
Refugee

BonoVoxSupastar:
Every translation is a interpretation, so therefore they are just reading the Latin and Hebrew versions of the bible?
And they don't tell the stories with their own words, just word by word as written in the bible?
Makes no sense to me. Imho all interpretation and speculation is allowed and helpful for understanding the bible as long as you clearly say that it is your opinion and not gods word.

Klaus
Old 07-31-2003, 01:02 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I think that's part of the point trying to be made, is how literal can you take such passages. I don't believe there are any other mentions of humans being created other than Adam and Eve.
God has given us enough to know who He is and have a relationship with Him. As for the rest of the story, we must patiently wait until heaven.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:04 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

God has given us enough to know who He is and have a relationship with Him. As for the rest of the story, we must patiently wait until heaven.
That's very well stated.

Old 07-31-2003, 01:45 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Very true, but now you're interpreting beyond what's written and most creationist I've met don't do that. They believe it's not their right to interpret beyond the story.
That's not accurate. We don't necessarily believe that we can't interpret "beyond" the story. We believe that for an interprettion to be right it can't "contradict" what the Bible says. The reason many Christians don't believe in evolution is because we believe that it contradicts what the Bible does say about creationism. For instance, the Bible says the Lord created man in his own image. Many of us believe that "in his own image" doesn't mean "a single cell, amoeba" or whatever.

In that vein, no one I've talked to believes that Cain had sex with his mother. Most Christians I've talked to believe one of the following two:

(1)Cain had sex with a sister. Even though the Bible doesn't mention a sister, for Cain, it doesn't preclude the possibility, because it doesn't contradict the Bible. And yes, this is incest by modern terms, but you must remember that God hadn't given the law at that point.

(2)As God created a wife (Eve) from Adam's rib, he my well have created wives for Cain and Seth from their ribs.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:25 PM   #89
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I absolutely agree with this and have always tried to live my life this way.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:26 PM   #90
The Fly

Local Time: 03:04 AM
Did you know that every society, modern and ancient, has an incest taboo? How did God lay down the law to the unreached around the world?