Creation/Evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar,
I don't think science and the Bible conflict, either. I think God created both. I think that ways that certain people apply science conflicts with the Bible.

80sU2isBest said:

1)I believe in the Bible because of a combination of faith and experience. The reason I believe the entire Bible rather than just part of it is because I know that if God is the Big God I think he is, he's big enough to keep his entire word together in an accurate and truthful representation, which I know as the Bible.

2)How do I explain these? I don't really need to try to explain that they aren't humans because there is no conclusive proof that they are. I think that if one is arguing for evolution, the burden rests on that person to explain the gaps in the fossil record.

3)Many scientists (who adhere to Creation science) do consider the world to be about 6 to 8,000 years old. They say that the rings in the earth and the trees are being misinterpreted by using the wrong aging standards.

4)Many laws in the Old Testament were from God and many were from man. I don't reallty understand what this has to do with anything, though.

5) That is your opinion, to which you are certainly allowed.

And I will number your responses as well. :)

1) Perhaps I should have worded it differently? Who's to say that everything in the Bible is the literal Word of God? Like Bonovox said, how can we tell that Genesis is literal and not a metaphor of sorts? Jesus loved to speak in parables and metaphors, and he is the Son of God, so who's to say that he didn't get it from his old man? :)

2) There is no conclusive evidence that they are? Really? That's quite odd. I suppose it depends on how we define humans. As being able to use higher reasoning, being able to fashion tools, holding some spiritual beliefs? Then by some accounts neandertals would fall into this category. And quite frankly, I think "I don't need to explain" is a very poor response to an answer. It basically has the same effect as saying "I'm going to avoid your question."

3) Many? How many? In any case I would argue that they are still in the vast minority. Could you point me to some of this data about wrong aging methods and so on? I hope these aren't the same people who refute carbon dating...

4) My point in this is IF the Bible is entirely God's word, then how do you account for man's laws being put in the Bible in essentially the same manner as God's laws. If, as you state, the Bible is literally God's word (for word) through man, then why are there antiquated and perhaps extreme laws of man put in there in the same context as God's laws (ie, these are laws which must be obeyed)? Should wives still be submissive and secondary to their husbands because it says it in the Bible?

I think I'll get off this track now. It's obviously not going to go anywhere productive. In light of science and reason, I simply cannot agree that the Bible is 100% the literal truth, word of God, and in light of your steadfast faith, you apparently cannot agree that some of the Bible may be metaphorical rather than literal, and thus must reject scientific process and fact.

Last edited:
melon said:
I don't see the point of this thread, except for creationists to look down on evolution-believers as "non-Christian" and for evolutionists to point and laugh at creationists. How many threads have we had on this subject over the last three years?

For what it's worth, that wasn't my intention. I only started this thread because I was interested in hearing what other people at FYM thought about the subject. I don't like the fact that at some times this discussion has turned into people laughing at other people's beliefs either, but I didn't start the thread with the intention of that happening.

brettig said:
I think the theories of creation and evolution can co-exist quite easily. The mathematical odds for evolution being an entirely random process don't even bear thinking about, so that's where creation comes into it. Sure, we evolved, but it was through divine design, not luck. That is unless you think the world was created in seven 24 hour days...

:yes:

I also believe in theistic evolution. I don't believe that science and religion rule each other out.

My high school biology teacher breifly covered Darwin's theory of evolution and didn't discuss anything about other theories of evolution such as punctuated equilibrium, etc. After his 5 min severely abridged version of evolution, he proceeded to read the rest of our lesson from the book of Genesis.

I was soooooo pissed. But then again, that's the kind of thing one would expect from my ultra-conservative anti-anti-anti-progressive community school.

:mad:

kariatari said:

I was soooooo pissed. But then again, that's the kind of thing one would expect from my ultra-conservative anti-anti-anti-progressive community school.

:mad:
And you don't think kids who believe in creation get mad when secular humanists teach evolution as fact rather than theory in schools?

point taken.

the first time evolution was ever properly taught to me, it was in my college biology course and the instructor was very careful to state that evolution was a theory, meaning that it couldn't be completely proven.

i guess i respect the fact that my hs teacher wanted to present different beliefs about the origin of humans, but he went about it completely wrong. it's one thing to educate your students about scientific and religious theories and quite another to cram one religion's ideas down your student's throats.

How useless. If they were going to teach creationism, the least they could do was teach its more fantastical claims for comedy's sake, rather than something as boring as reading strictly from the book of Genesis. A trained monkey could do that.

I guess it ultimately shows that we are ill-equipped to deal with the Muslim world's religious fanatics, if we refuse to deal with our own. Religion has no place in public schools.

Melon

melon said:

Religion has no place in public schools.

As if this thread hadn't taken enough detours already...

Why is it that religion can be discussed in a publicly funded university but not a publicly funded high school?

speedracer said:

Why is it that religion can be discussed in a publicly funded university but not a publicly funded high school?

Because you don't choose the high school you attend and for the most part don't choose the classes you take.

speedracer said:

Because, frankly, the way religion is discussed in a publically-funded university is vastly different than the way it has been discussed in a publically-funded high school. Spending five minutes on evolution and spending the rest of the day reading from the book of Genesis in science class is *not* how religion is approached in a publically-funded university. I sincerely doubt that this teacher would ever consider non-Judeo-Christian alternatives, but a university would--and it certainly wouldn't be teaching creationism in its science classes, but might bring it up in its separate religion department. And, of course, you don't have to take religion classes in college.

In addition, by the sheer structure of how a high school works, they cannot devote the time and diversity necessary to treat religion as an academic subject versus proselytizing.

Third, if you want me to get more practical, U.S. Supreme Court precedent has upheld the right of public universities to have religion departments, but not have consistently denied them to high schools and elementary schools, because the court has taken into account age. "Youth" are considered impressionable, and, by college age, they reason, they are more likely to have sufficient maturity to have an actual choice in the matter. Of course, the religious right isn't into "choice"; they want to frighten youth into conversion. Education, after all, is the enemy of religion to them.

Melon

kobayashi[/i] [b]kaboom[/b] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ouizy said:
we came from an explosion that happened a long long time ago...
[/quote]

:der: explosion from someone's pants?

Last edited:
Why have so many people problems with the idea that "Mankind just dosn't know how it hapened"?

So lots of different theories about the the universe. Was it there forever or not?
Since it size changes there seems to be a begining of this universe - but - was there a begining of matter? Is therefore the law of conservation of matter wrong?

The Creationists have it easier in that point. God was there all the time and will be there all the time.

Well who are we to judge what's right and wrong there? Anyone seen how the whole thing started?

Klaus

Klaus said:
Why have so many people problems with the idea that "Mankind just dosn't know how it hapened"?

So lots of different theories about the the universe. Was it there forever or not?
Since it size changes there seems to be a begining of this universe - but - was there a begining of matter? Is therefore the law of conservation of matter wrong?

The Creationists have it easier in that point. God was there all the time and will be there all the time.

Well who are we to judge what's right and wrong there? Anyone seen how the whole thing started?

Klaus

If time and space are connected and held together by light.... I'd say the universe is a hot coal that cooled down... so that linear time cannot be accurately measured by human standards.

The problem is not that religion is addressed in public schools, it is how it is addressed. Creationism, no matter how much you believe it is true, does not ever belong in a science classroom.

Also, the vast majority of america needs to be educated as to what "theory" means in science. A scientific theory (like Newton's theory of gravitation) is a robust, hearty beast. It has withstood the constant tests and scrutiny given to it, and is supported by evidence, other theory, and other disciplines.

Also, just because nobody witnessed the beginning of the universe does not mean that we cannot discern how it started. If someone throws a rock into a pond, and you come up a minute later, all you see is ripples, concentric circles spreaing out from the point of impact. Without knowing anything else, you can tell where the impact was. By measuring the properties of the waves (ampliude, length, speed, etc.) you could tell when the object hit, and how big it was. You could even tell how fast and at what angle it hit the water. The police do not need to see the gun or watch the killing to be able to solve a murder case.

About conservation of matter:

The law of conservation of matter is an extension of the law of conservation of energy. New measurements made by astrophysicists seem to confirm that matter energy+ other energy = 0. The universe is quite literally nothing. This also bolsters the Big Bang theory. In quantum mechanics, you can actually get an infinite amount of energy from nothing. The catch is, the amount of time you can borrow the energy is inversely proportional to the amount you borrow. (See Uncertainty Priciple, Heisenberg's). So, on a tiny scale, the universe is boiling, wth particles appearing and disappearing with a lifetime determined by old Heisenberg. Any of these fluctuations could, in theory, "neck" off and grow into a universe. (See Multiverse, The). Since our universe comes out to a net sum of zero, it could, (mathematically), last an infinite amount of time.

It is true that many creation scientists disagree with dating methods used. They are, indeed, in the vast minority. The top theories about how dating methods could be wrong usually include something about a variable spped of light. If the spped of light were even the tiniest bit variable, we would be able to detect it. For instance, the microwave spectrum of O=C=S, used in physical chemistry, is known to seventeen decimal places. Even the tiniest fluctuation in c would be detectable.

Plus, if the bible is literal, we are all horrifically inbred. Twice over. Besides having no evidence, genetically or otherwise, that's justy plain creepy. :)

In other words, "nothing" equals "something"? While I'm not a creationist by any stretch of the imagination, I find that to be equally preposterous.

Melon

Mongpoovian said:
Plus, if the bible is literal, we are all horrifically inbred. Twice over. Besides having no evidence, genetically or otherwise, that's justy plain creepy. :)

I am not sure how evolution buys you any comfort on this point.

Come on now; this talk of being "horrifically inbred" and "product of incest" if creationism is true is kinda ridiculous. Do you realize how far in your family line back you have to go to get back to Cain? Don't you think that somewhere in your family line someone slept with a relative since then, and didn't even have to in order to populate the world?

And I really don't know what this "twice over" bit is. Noah's sons brought their wives on the ark, if that's what's being referred to.

80sU2isBest said:
Come on now; this talk of being "horrifically inbred" and "product of incest" if creationism is true is kinda ridiculous. Do you realize how far in your family line back you have to go to get back to Cain? Don't you think that somewhere in your family line someone slept with a relative since then, and didn't even have to in order to populate the world?

And I really don't know what this "twice over" bit is. Noah's sons brought their wives on the ark, if that's what's being referred to.

Cain would have to sleep with his mother in order to get this world continuing, which I'm sure he didn't marry, then that child would have to sleep with his or her father, brother, sister, or gandparent. Please don't tell me you think this is the way God planned it.

Yes Noah's sons brought their wives, but all their children would have been 1st cousins. I still don't think this sits well.

Klaus said:
BonoVoxSupastar:

I'm unsure, did the bible mention that Adam and Eve were the only humans ever created or just the first?

Klaus

I think that's part of the point trying to be made, is how literal can you take such passages. I don't believe there are any other mentions of humans being created other than Adam and Eve.

Very true, but now you're interpreting beyond what's written and most creationist I've met don't do that. They believe it's not their right to interpret beyond the story.

BonoVoxSupastar:
Every translation is a interpretation, so therefore they are just reading the Latin and Hebrew versions of the bible?
And they don't tell the stories with their own words, just word by word as written in the bible?
Makes no sense to me. Imho all interpretation and speculation is allowed and helpful for understanding the bible as long as you clearly say that it is your opinion and not gods word.

Klaus

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think that's part of the point trying to be made, is how literal can you take such passages. I don't believe there are any other mentions of humans being created other than Adam and Eve.

God has given us enough to know who He is and have a relationship with Him. As for the rest of the story, we must patiently wait until heaven.

nbcrusader said:

God has given us enough to know who He is and have a relationship with Him. As for the rest of the story, we must patiently wait until heaven.

That's very well stated. :up:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Very true, but now you're interpreting beyond what's written and most creationist I've met don't do that. They believe it's not their right to interpret beyond the story.
That's not accurate. We don't necessarily believe that we can't interpret "beyond" the story. We believe that for an interprettion to be right it can't "contradict" what the Bible says. The reason many Christians don't believe in evolution is because we believe that it contradicts what the Bible does say about creationism. For instance, the Bible says the Lord created man in his own image. Many of us believe that "in his own image" doesn't mean "a single cell, amoeba" or whatever.

In that vein, no one I've talked to believes that Cain had sex with his mother. Most Christians I've talked to believe one of the following two:

(1)Cain had sex with a sister. Even though the Bible doesn't mention a sister, for Cain, it doesn't preclude the possibility, because it doesn't contradict the Bible. And yes, this is incest by modern terms, but you must remember that God hadn't given the law at that point.

(2)As God created a wife (Eve) from Adam's rib, he my well have created wives for Cain and Seth from their ribs.

nbcrusader said:

I absolutely agree with this and have always tried to live my life this way.

Back
Top Bottom