Crawford, Texas paper endorses Kerry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
Here's the link to Daily Kos with the editorial in it. The Lone Star Iconoclast seems to be folding under a huge number of hits so I'm using the liberal blog link instead. Excerpts from the editorial:

Few Americans would have voted for George W. Bush four years ago if he had promised that, as President, he would:
--Empty the Social Security trust fund by $507 billion to help offset fiscal irresponsibility and at the same time slash Social Security benefits.
--Cut Medicare by 17 percent and reduce veterans' benefits and military pay.
--Eliminate overtime pay for millions of Americans and raise oil prices by 50 percent.
--Give tax cuts to businesses that sent American jobs overseas, and, in fact, by policy encourage their departure.
--Give away billions of tax dollars in government contracts without competitive bids.
--Involve this country in a deadly and highly questionable war, and
--Take a budget surplus and turn it into the worst deficit in the history of the United States, creating a debt in just four years that will take generations to repay.

Kerry's four-point plan for Iraq is realistic, wise, strong, and correct. With the help from our European and Middle Eastern allies, his plan is to train Iraqi security forces, involve Iraqis in their rebuilding and constitution-writing processes, forgive Iraq's multi-billion dollar debts, and convene a regional conference with Iraq's neighbors in order to secure a pledge of respect for Iraq's borders and non-interference in Iraq's internal affairs.

The re-election of George W. Bush would be a mandate to continue on our present course of chaos. We cannot afford to double the debt that we already have. We need to be moving in the opposite direction.

John Kerry has 30 years of experience looking out for the American people and can navigate our country back to prosperity and re-instill in America the dignity she so craves and deserves. He has served us well as a highly decorated Vietnam veteran and has had a successful career as a district attorney, lieutenant governor, and senator.

Kerry has a positive vision for America, plus the proven intelligence, good sense, and guts to make it happen.
That's why The Iconoclast urges Texans not to rate the candidate by his hometown or even his political party, but instead by where he intends to take the country.

As a person who has lived in texas for five years now, I will tell you this stance took a lot of guts (and some fine thinking). :wink:

It 's definitely not easy to "buck the status quo" in Texas, especially in Bush's backyard, so I am SO PROUD to see the Daily Kos speak up and voice its opinion - TRUE DEMOCRACY!

Thanks, sharky, for posting this - I totally agree with their endorsement.:hug:

DEFINITELY TIME FOR REGIME CHANGE.... :yes:

Flying FuManchu said:
The paper has like a circulation of like 456 or something... and LOL at some of the ridiculous points made to try to prop up their endorsement.

Points 2, 3, 4 and 7 specifically.

LOL at the Kerry plan.

I think it was posted and is regarded as interesting, because it obviously comes direct from Bush's heartland. Not what you'd expect.

I'm pretty shocked that a Texas newspaper would publish this. Of course newspaper endorsements generally don't mean a damn thing. They don't change votes.

There's another defection from the Republican camp.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/elections/article.adp?id=20040929204209990003

There are times when we must break with the past, and I believe this is one of them," Eisenhower wrote in the opinion column published Tuesday in The Union Leader of Manchester, N.H.

The column assails President Bush and the GOP for federal budget deficits, for "unilaterally" invading Iraq and for infringing on personal liberties.

The Bush campaign had no immediate comment.

Eisenhower, 82, declined to be interviewed Wednesday. His wife, Joanne Eisenhower, said by telephone from their home on Maryland's Eastern Shore that, "This is something he felt strongly about."

"The fact is that today's 'Republican' Party is one with which I am totally unfamiliar. To me, the word 'Republican' has always been synonymous with the word 'responsibility,' which has meant limiting our governmental obligations to those we can afford in human and financial terms.

"Today's whopping budget deficit of some $440 billion does not meet that criterion," Eisenhower wrote.

Eisenhower, a former U.S. ambassador to Belgium and author, was a registered Republican for 50 years - until the Bush administration's decision to invade Iraq "as a maverick," he wrote.

"Recent developments indicate that the current Republican Party leadership has confused confident leadership with hubris and arrogance," he wrote.

Eisenhower scolded the Republican leadership for embracing a tax code that "heads us in the direction of a society of very rich and very poor."

"Senator Kerry, in whom I am willing to place my trust, has demonstrated that he is courageous, sober, competent, and concerned with fighting the dangers associated with the widening socio-economic gap in this country," he concluded.

Jamila said:
As a person who has lived in texas for five years now, I will tell you this stance took a lot of guts (and some fine thinking). :wink:

It 's definitely not easy to "buck the status quo" in Texas, especially in Bush's backyard, so I am SO PROUD to see the Daily Kos speak up and voice its opinion - TRUE DEMOCRACY!

Thanks, sharky, for posting this - I totally agree with their endorsement.:hug:

DEFINITELY TIME FOR REGIME CHANGE.... :yes:

ditto that jamila. i'm also a texan and kerry supporter.

fyi, did y'all know that iconoclast (the name of crawford's newspaper) means
One who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions?

for anyone interested, here's the direct link to the newspaper.
http://www.iconoclast-texas.com

Last edited:
Well that took guts.

I've lived in Texas for a bit over 4 years and I still get up at the break of dawn on Sundays so my neighbors don't see the NY Times in my driveway.

Back
Top Bottom