Crash (anyone see it?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
actually, given it's subject matter and unorthodox storytelling and lack of any major stars, it's done pretty well -- $50m+ so far.

i saw it at a very, very racially mixed (and packed) theather. an incredible experience to not so much see or hear but to *feel* people of different races react to different parts of the film.

in the end, i thought it spun a little out of control, but an "A" for effort and daring.

I saw this film the day it came out and have been enthusiastically recommending "CRASH" ever since. I agree some of the circumstances of the film could be viewed as contrived but overall I think the film holds together well. Very well acted, well written, and thought provoking. Also, do not be deterred by that fact that the movie stars Ludacris. He gives a convincing performance.

Financially the film has done pretty well. It has built an audience over the last few months. It's one of the first movies in a while that has performed well due to positive word of mouth rather than being bolstered by a glitzy multi million dollar ad campaign.

i saw this in the theatre a few months back, and i loved it. well written, intelligent, thought-provoking, and the acting was superb. don cheadle is amazing.

:up:

Oh my gosh, I watched this movie a long long time ago...

Was Holly Hunter in it?

the cast was on Oprah yesterday, it was disturbing to hear their personal stories about racism..especially this one from Terrence Howard

Terrence experienced his own "Crash moment" at an extremely young age, and says it radically changed his life's course.

"I'm the product of a mixed marriage: My father's actually mixed and my mother is mixed but my father looks more white than my mom," Terrence explains. "We're at a department store in 1972, right before Christmas, and my mom's taking us all around to go get clothes and my dad's standing in the Santa Claus line. … My dad is 5-foot-8, weighs 125 pounds. There's a guy standing behind him [who is] 6'-4", weighs about 260. The man said, 'Why did you let those niggers cut you?' And my daddy said, 'This is my wife.' … The man turned around and my father turned back to talk to us.

"The next thing you know, this guy has picked up my father by the throat from behind and takes him over to the wall and has my father pinned up on the wall like a rag doll. And my father turns around and tries to get away and the guy picks him up again and is holding him on the wall, strangling my father. … Now, this man didn't come there to do that. This man was in the Santa Claus line with his family. My father, after the man had kneed him in his groin enough times that blood was streaming down his leg, finally grabbed something and started sticking the man, trying to get him to let him go. He stuck him in his legs but the man still wouldn't let go. And all I remember is my father standing over him, the man collapsed [the man later died, and Terrence's father was sentenced to prison], and my father screaming, 'Please don't die! Please don't die!'

"And so the police come [and take] my father away, to prison. My father was an insurance salesman at the time, and we lived in the suburbs. But when my father went to prison, we were forced to move into the projects, which subjected us to more racism. Here I was this light-skinned, green-eyed kid in the middle of the projects in the 1970s when being light-skinned and green-eyed wasn't good in the black community. And that family lost their husband because we got in front of him and he thought we were cutting him because my father was in line."

there's more info about the show here

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200510/tows_past_20051006.jhtml

Thandie Newton is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, and Terrence is one of the most beautiful men I've ever seen..

just thought I'd throw that in :wink:

thanks for posting that bit, MrsS. :up:

i watched the show yesterday, and his experiences were mindboggling.

i was expecting a bit more from the show, though. sometimes Oprah's fantastic, and other times she irritates me to no end. yesterday was the latter--she kept dumbing everything down to "is this racist?" as if complex social situations can be boiled down to a simple "yes" or "no" answer. and she wouldn't let don cheadle speak. she kept interrupting him and completely dismissing his points. i was looking forward to hearing what he had to say, but he was barely in the discussion.

personally, i think we're all racist on some level. we all stereotype, we all pre-judge people and situations. it's human nature to do this. the key is to recognize and ackowledge when we're doing it, to question why and whether it's a good thing, and to try to see past it, to know better and therefore do better.

dandy said:
we all stereotype, we all pre-judge people and situations. it's human nature to do this. the key is to recognize and ackowledge when we're doing it, to question why and whether it's a good thing, and to try to see past it, to know better and therefore do better.

very well said, I agree

I agree w/ you about Oprah too, she can be irritating in that way. Maybe Don Cheadle is such a gentleman that he just let her do that.

Speaking of Chedle, he had a great, wickedly funny little moment in an otherwise very heavy movie. I loved he was talking to that guy

*spoiler space*

who was trying to get him to frame a potentially innocent man and had this rationale about how the black man deserved a break so it was okay to lie in this case. Chedle's response was "Fuck you very much" :up: :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom