Coulter Attacks 9/11 Widows - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by redsox04
Professor Ward Churchill has made equally inflammatory remarks about the 9/11 victims, but because his position is more from the left, the reaction to his statements has not been so severe.

what?

he was vilified by the right, appeared on many talk shows to defend his comments, and had nothing else to say, and then faded into the woodwork.

Ann Coulter is a best selling author and an exremely visible pundit. many, many more people know who she is than know who Ward Churchill is, therefore, she is going to draw a much more public reaction to her comments than an obscure professor from Colorado.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #107
She's the One

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

he was vilified by the right, appeared on many talk shows to defend his comments, and had nothing else to say, and then faded into the woodwork.
And he's about ready to lose his job over some very questionable research techniques.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Ann in hs, just thought it was interesting

plagiarism charges

gawker.com

Following up on yesterday’s suggestion that hate-speech-Pez-dispenser Ann Coulter may have plagiarized material from other writers, we’ve been informed that this isn’t the first time Ann’s been accused of lifting material. In 2001, Boston Globe columnist Alex Beam examined a controversy surrounding her 1998 tome, High Crimes and Misdemeanors. This is the book that David Carr called “fairly scholarly,” which is interesting, because it appears that the scholarship came from someone else. Beam compared Coulter’s prose to that of Michael Chapman, a former colleague of Coulter’s who, in 1997, wrote “A Case for Impeachment” in the popular right-wing nutjob periodical Human Events.

Chapman, “A Case for Impeachment,” page 13: “Four Democratic fundraisers have stated that former DNC Finance Chairman Marvin Rosen explicitly advocated selling access to the President…”

Coulter, page 219: “At least four Democratic fund-raising officials have revealed that former DNC Finance Chairman Marvin Rosen explicitly advocated selling access to the president …”

Chapman: “A DNC fundraiser told Nynex executives they would receive invitations to White House ‘coffees’ if they joined the DNC’s ‘Managing Trustees’ program and agreed to donate $100,000 …”

Coulter: “A DNC fundraiser told Nynex Corporation executives that they would receive invitations to White House coffees if they joined the DNC’s ‘Managing Trustees’ program and agreed to donate $100,000 . .

The piece is unfortunately no longer available on line, but those of you with LexisNexis access should be able to find it pretty easily. As for Coulter, we’re not sure how the charges of plagiarism might affect her career, but we suspect that this will do more damage to her reputation than any vile, inaccurate invective she’s been spewing for the last seven years. The media will tolerate brutally meretricious bullshit, but God forbid you rip off another writer… You can accuse the media of cynicism all you want, but the fact that plagiarism is considered a bigger sin than unsubstantiated vituperation says something about the rest of us.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Leno sucks , I'd love to see Letterman wipe the floor w/ Coulter

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/06/15/th...n-and-ann-cou/

"Then Ann Coulter comes out and, much to my shock, she gets a warm welcome from the audience. Are you kidding me? This hypocritical, abusive, loud-mouthed, hysterical screech gets cheers, whoops, and hollers from the audience? Am I missing something here?

Anyway, she comes out and Jay Leno simply blows it. He doesn't challenge her on any of her recent statements, he doesn't engage her in any real conversation. He basically lets her spew off lines like "I wear their (liberals) contempt as a badge of honor!" What horses**t! To top it off, George Carlin just sits by and doesn't say a word. Not one single word! What the hell is going on here! You would think that George Carlin, one of the most brilliant comedic minds around and someone who would give Ann Coulter a run for her money, would get in on the conversation. Again, I thought wrong.

Now, it could be that NBC brass told Leno not to engage in any debate with Ann Coulter for fear she would say more wild and hysterical crap that would offend their viewing audience. They may have even put the clamps on George Carlin not to say anything either. As far as I'm concerned, this show was a complete waste of time.

Do I think Letterman would have done a better job of "interviewing" Ann Coulter? I don't know--but Letterman is taped in New York and I don't think Ann Coulter would find an audience there that would whoop and holler for her.

I may be stretching this a bit, but I somehow think NBC condones Ann Coulter and her points of view. She appears on The Today Show occasionally, and now she gets a free pass on The Tonight Show. What next, her own variety show? "
Old 06-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #110
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Leno sucks , I'd love to see Letterman wipe the floor w/ Coulter

I watched the whole Coulter "appearance", in horror. The crowd was applauding her & whooping it up, that's for sure. I was shocked as well. I was waiting for some boos or something. The only time Carlin spoke was when Ann was brought out on stage and he said something to the effect of... 'I never thought I'd be with Ann Coulter and have to move to the right'. You could see him occasionally during the show, and I'm sure it pained him not to say anything. Had he been the host, he would have let her have it.

And Coulter said she let her one liberal friend read her book prior to press, for any comments or whatever. One - would that be Bill Maher? He has her on his show (by remote) from time to time.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #111
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
I was looking for information about this woman (i've never heard about her before... lucky me, I guess) and I found this

https://marketplace.yaf.org/cfwebsto...TOKEN=90277297

she is a scary woman :S
Old 06-16-2006, 12:55 AM   #112
The Fly

Local Time: 01:09 AM
Few will argue that Coulter's approach and wording are horrifying. She knows she is being inflammatory, its her style.

But the point she is making is worthy of discussion. She is not talking about ALL of the 9/11 widows, just a group of four that have been extremely vocal in their opposition to everything the Bush administration does. Coulter is basically saying that she believes these women, like Cindy Sheehan, are being paraded around by left-wing organizations, knowing it is difficult to take issue with those who have been so directly impacted by a tragedy.

Of course, she chose such imflammatory language that her central point is lost.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:54 AM   #113
The Fly

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64

I watched the whole Coulter "appearance", in horror. The crowd was applauding her & whooping it up, that's for sure. I was shocked as well. I was waiting for some boos or something.

That wasn't Jay Leno's normal audience. There was a large group of her fans there to "overwhelm" anyone who heckled her. I was shocked when I heard the cheering, too, but I figured there must have been a reason.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1649624/posts
Old 06-16-2006, 03:35 AM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by redsox04
Few will argue that Coulter's approach and wording are horrifying. She knows she is being inflammatory, its her style.

But the point she is making is worthy of discussion. She is not talking about ALL of the 9/11 widows, just a group of four that have been extremely vocal in their opposition to everything the Bush administration does. Coulter is basically saying that she believes these women, like Cindy Sheehan, are being paraded around by left-wing organizations, knowing it is difficult to take issue with those who have been so directly impacted by a tragedy.

Of course, she chose such imflammatory language that her central point is lost.
I agree with this.
She had a point, a decent point and it got lost in an uproar, a pop culture uproar, that's about all it amounts to. If Ward Churchill were on Leno and Letterman and the Today Show etc. trying to sell a book on these views he might have had a little more "trouble" but in the end he's just a fool, and I think people knew what he was all about.

The thing about Ann Coulter is, I've always hated her schtick, I think it's lowest common denominator, 'Crossfire' like stuff that just pollutes the entire political discourse. People should be taking issue with literally every single news show, including these entertainment shows giving her airtime because they are using her inflammatory remarks to get viewership as well.

I detest the woman in general but she did say one pretty interesting thing on Leno the other night. She said (paraphrased) "I'm calling them Godless, apparently nobody has a problem with that" speaking of liberals. Well, I'd argue that it's because most of the subjects of her bile tune her out, but it does speak to the overall topic of what is wrong with our discourse.

We'll take the most over-the-top supposedly offensive statements and issues and parade them all around our little political/social version of pop culture and then get alarmed for the moment until something else comes along. It's nothing but schoolyard bullshit on steroids, people living vicariously through celebrities and the downtrodden, news cycles with ADD, and a politcal discourse that we ALL should be fucking ashamed of.

Good ideas take a back seat to controversy to make $$.
Hardcore news is left on the scroll at the bottom of the screen so we can find out about the latest bullshit from Aruba. Ann Coulter doesn't have any ideas, she has a gimmick and for this she's just as useless as the people she berates. Nobody calls her out on her methods, they just talk about the sound-bite, because that's about the attention span of the people who really give a shit.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:39 AM   #115
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 06-16-2006, 03:41 AM   #116
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by medmo

That wasn't Jay Leno's normal audience. There was a large group of her fans there to "overwhelm" anyone who heckled her. I was shocked when I heard the cheering, too, but I figured there must have been a reason.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1649624/posts
Old 06-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan

I agree with this.
She had a point, a decent point and it got lost in an uproar, a pop culture uproar, that's about all it amounts to. If Ward Churchill were on Leno and Letterman and the Today Show etc. trying to sell a book on these views he might have had a little more "trouble" but in the end he's just a fool, and I think people knew what he was all about.

The thing about Ann Coulter is, I've always hated her schtick, I think it's lowest common denominator, 'Crossfire' like stuff that just pollutes the entire political discourse. People should be taking issue with literally every single news show, including these entertainment shows giving her airtime because they are using her inflammatory remarks to get viewership as well.

I detest the woman in general but she did say one pretty interesting thing on Leno the other night. She said (paraphrased) "I'm calling them Godless, apparently nobody has a problem with that" speaking of liberals. Well, I'd argue that it's because most of the subjects of her bile tune her out, but it does speak to the overall topic of what is wrong with our discourse.

We'll take the most over-the-top supposedly offensive statements and issues and parade them all around our little political/social version of pop culture and then get alarmed for the moment until something else comes along. It's nothing but schoolyard bullshit on steroids, people living vicariously through celebrities and the downtrodden, news cycles with ADD, and a politcal discourse that we ALL should be fucking ashamed of.

Good ideas take a back seat to controversy to make $$.
Hardcore news is left on the scroll at the bottom of the screen so we can find out about the latest bullshit from Aruba. Ann Coulter doesn't have any ideas, she has a gimmick and for this she's just as useless as the people she berates. Nobody calls her out on her methods, they just talk about the sound-bite, because that's about the attention span of the people who really give a shit.
Good point. Politics has just become another form of entertainment. It's really repugnant because apparently it didn't matter to Coulter that she might have had a point worthy of discussion.. .she knew that she'd get more traction (and $$) out of being bombastic and offensive.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Happy July 4th to me

NY Post

July 2, 2006 -- Conservative scribe Ann Coulter cribbed liberally in her latest book, "Godless," according to a plagiarism expert.

John Barrie, the creator of a leading plagiarism-recognition system, claimed he found at least three instances of what he calls "textbook plagiarism" in the leggy blond pundit's "Godless: the Church of Liberalism" after he ran the book's text through the company's digital iThenticate program.

He also says he discovered verbatim lifts in Coulter's weekly column, which is syndicated to more than 100 newspapers, including the Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Sun-Sentinel and Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle.

Barrie, CEO of iParadigms, told The Post that one 25-word passage from the "Godless" chapter titled "The Holiest Sacrament: Abortion" appears to have been lifted nearly word for word from Planned Parenthood literature published at least 18 months before Coulter's 281-page book was released.

A separate, 24-word string from the chapter "The Creation Myth" appeared about a year earlier in the San Francisco Chronicle with just one word change - "stacked" was changed to "piled."

Another 33-word passage that appears five pages into "Godless" allegedly comes from a 1999 article in the Portland (Maine) Press Herald.

Meanwhile, many of the 344 citations Coulter includes in "Godless" "are very misleading," said Barrie, who holds a Ph.D. from the University of California at Berkeley, where he specialized in pattern recognition.

"They're used purely to try and give the book a higher level of credibility - as if it's an academic work. But her sloppiness in failing to properly attribute many other passages strips it of nearly all its academic merits," he told The Post.

Barrie says he also ran Coulter's Universal Press columns from the past 12 months through iThenticate and found similar patterns of cribbing.

Her Aug. 3, 2005, column, "Read My Lips: No New Liberals," about U.S. Supreme Court Justice David Souter, includes six passages, ranging from 10 to 48 words each, that appeared 15 years earlier in the same order in an L.A. Times article, headlined "Liberals Leery as New Clues Surface on Souter's Views."

But nowhere in that column does she mention the L.A. Times or the story's writer, David G. Savage.

Her June 29, 2005, column, "Thou Shalt Not Commit Religion," incorporates 10 facts on National Endowment for the Arts-funded work that originally appeared in the same order in a 1991 Heritage Foundation report, "The National Endowment for the Arts: Misusing Taxpayers' Money." But again, the Heritage Foundation isn't credited.

"Just as Coulter plays free and loose with her citations in 'Godless,' she obviously does the same in her columns," Barrie said.

Coulter did not respond to requests for comment.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #119
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 07-04-2006, 03:08 AM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Describing Coulter as a 'leggy blonde' is like describing the devil as a leggy goat. She is the fucking devil, guys.