Coulter Attacks 9/11 Widows - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #91
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:46 AM

Old 06-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

As if she'd subject herself to the horrors of the librul Ivy league!

Cow went to Michigan.

it was Cornell undergrad, then.

i really do believe she's some sort of performance artist, a drag queen impersonating a fascist.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:05 AM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i really do believe she's some sort of performance artist, a drag queen impersonating a fascist.
Agreed. She says this stuff because it makes her money. She wouldn't make much saying things that don't offend anyone or respecting sacred cows.

I think she laughs all the way to the bank, which in my opinion is even worse. To promote such hateful, hurtful ideas and not even have the integrity to actually believe it is beyond the pale.

Re: the Christopher Hitchens piece. Yeah, I don't think he and Ann Coulter are in the same category. After all he's not a household name. Maybe he would be if he were telegenic and regularly wrote pieces like the one about Mother Teresa.

Personally, I found his article thought provoking to a degree, but in the end, I feel that people who aren't doing anything to help the poor don't have a leg to stand on critcizing those who are. If he were running his OWN charity for the "poorest of the poor" and doing it the "right" way I think I'd really give what he had to say a serious hearing.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

To promote such hateful, hurtful ideas and not even have the integrity to actually believe it is beyond the pale.
Interesting point, sometimes I think she does believe it though.

http://www.anncoulter.com/welcome.html

When I lament the fact that I never had a sister, I think for a split second that she could have been like Ann Coulter through some genetic or environmental freak accident-then I feel much better
Old 06-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:46 AM
Quote:
Personally, I found his article thought provoking to a degree, but in the end, I feel that people who aren't doing anything to help the poor don't have a leg to stand on critcizing those who are. If he were running his OWN charity for the "poorest of the poor" and doing it the "right" way I think I'd really give what he had to say a serious hearing.
I think this touches on the approach that should be taken with Coulter - or any other provocative piece offered here. Look past the shock value and the sensationalism and think about the underlying issue.

After 90 some responses, no one has talked about the 9/11 widows referenced in the article (this omission was tagged a red herring, but I think we see the reality here). Is there loss really any different than the familys of anyone else murdered on 9/11/01 - or the days before or after?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

After 90 some responses, no one has talked about the 9/11 widows referenced in the article (this omission was tagged a red herring, but I think we see the reality here). Is there loss really any different than the familys of anyone else murdered on 9/11/01 - or the days before or after?
I think this is because the problem is with Coulter's used of personal attacks, saying that these women "enjoyed" their husbands deaths, should be posing for Playboy and that their husbands were going to divorce them, etc. If Coulter really wanted a serious discourse on this issue, she would not have spoken the way she did.

As stated in one of the articles A_Wanderer posted:

Quote:
Confederate Yankee takes Coulter’s message – that grief does not bestow absolute moral authority – without mentioning her brutalization of the widows.

His point is well taken but he seems to be able to make an even stronger case than Coulter without resorting to the degradation of grief stricken widows.
I don't think the issue is Coulter criticizing the polices of the 9/11 widows, but they way she has done so - in a cruel and personal way.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Their loss is no different, however they decided to take their loss and this devastating, life-changing, horrible time in their lives, and the lives of their children, and use it as a catalyst to take action and ask questions.

Yes, they have and are mourning, but they are also asking questions of the government and making things happen. Things that Ms. Coulter takes as offensive because they question the government she has sworn her allegiance to.

Ms. Coulter has attacked these women on a personal level wheras they have asked why their loved ones were murdered.

It is a very twisted thing going on here, and yes it is fair to question the widows and their motives, but I have not seen anything to date in their actions that I find offensive.

I cannot say the same for Ms. Coulter.

Then again, I believe in Karma, so I would invite Ms. Coulter to attack whomever she desires, as long as she knows that somewhere down the road she may herself meet with some very ugly unpleasantness in her life as retribution.

Not retribution for speaking her mind, but speaking out against those in pain.

I wonder how she would like it if the tables were turned and people attacked her when she lost something she loves. Although from what I can tell all she loves is money and herself.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

I don't think the issue is Coulter criticizing the polices of the 9/11 widows, but they way she has done so - in a cruel and personal way.

bingo.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

i think Hitchens would argue that the arguments he puts forward in his writings do just as much good through stimulating debate and influencing policy -- one example: he is a former Trotskyite who used to write for The Nation who is now considered a neo-con because he supported the invasion of Iraq. he felt that the overthrow of Islamofascism is the biggest moral struggle of our lifetimes (he's a staunch atheist and has contempt for most expressions of religion), and while he has criticized the Bush administration for messing up the post war, he remains steadfast in his judgement that Bush got the big things right -- that we engage the Arab World, overthrow their regimes, and install democracies.

many pointed to Hitchens, the former Leftist, and his support for the war (along with HRC, Tom Friedman, The Economist and others) as part of what eventually swung popular American opinion in favor of invasion in late 2002/early 2003.

Hitchens would argue that, as a writer, this is how he effects change and that 25 million Iraqis have been liberated from the tyranny of Saddam Hussein, and i think he would argue that this has done more good than whatever Mother Teresa has done.

and he's dead right about the sheer idiocy of the Catholic Church's stance on birth control.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:41 AM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

i think Hitchens would argue that the arguments he puts forward in his writings do just as much good through stimulating debate and influencing policy -- one example: he is a former Trotskyite who used to write for The Nation who is now considered a neo-con because he supported the invasion of Iraq. he felt that the overthrow of Islamofascism is the biggest moral struggle of our lifetimes (he's a staunch atheist and has contempt for most expressions of religion), and while he has criticized the Bush administration for messing up the post war, he remains steadfast in his judgement that Bush got the big things right -- that we engage the Arab World, overthrow their regimes, and install democracies.

many pointed to Hitchens, the former Leftist, and his support for the war (along with HRC, Tom Friedman, The Economist and others) as part of what eventually swung popular American opinion in favor of invasion in late 2002/early 2003.

Hitchens would argue that, as a writer, this is how he effects change and that 25 million Iraqis have been liberated from the tyranny of Saddam Hussein, and i think he would argue that this has done more good than whatever Mother Teresa has done.

and he's dead right about the sheer idiocy of the Catholic Church's stance on birth control.
Good point about how Hitchen's may view himself as helping the "poorest of the poor." Not sure I actually agree with him, particularly on the Iraq war. After all, Saddam Hussein's government was decidely secular and Iraq is now in more danger of religious extremism becoming a dominat force than it ever was under Saddam Hussein. But. . .I see where he could be coming from.

And I agree, the Catholic Church's stance on birth control is idiocy. Mother Teresa's support of that stance was certainly not helpful, but I don't think that makes her charlatan either.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Ann Coulter certainly knows how to make me laugh, that's for sure.

Melon
Old 06-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #102
Refugee

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Like Paris Hilton, Ann Coulter is nothing more than a toilet plunger in a blonde wig. She lacks a heart and a soul, and despite her educational credentials, she also lacks a brain. She's reveling in the attention because Ann Coulter is all about Ann Coulter. And what she says and types (I would never call her books and articles writing) makes other conservatives look bad and I'm glad many of them are calling out on her BS. I may be liberal, but I know there are many conservatives out there who are intelligent, compassionate, and thoughtful. Sadly they don't get the attention that this hag in an "Addicted to Love" black dress does.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl
Like Paris Hilton, Ann Coulter is nothing more than a toilet plunger in a blonde wig

It's a damn sad commentary on this country when her book overtakes Anderson Cooper's and all the others

She was on Leno last night with George Carlin, from the very little I was able to watch on my tape Leno was his usual milquetoast self, and Carlin said nothing. Very disappointing..but I have yet to see the whole tape. I know she must have had the audience stacked with her fans who were applauding and hootin and hollertin, she probably got them to Leno from her web site or something. I taped it because I was hoping Carlin would have something fantastically intelligent to say to her for which she would reallly have no valid response.

Bottom line is, she has disdain for anyone who questions the almighty infallible Republican regime. And she resorts to such extremely cruel vitriol and name calling in order to get attention and to sell books. Now she can buy hundreds more of her little black dresses. I guess it's just easy for people like her to live with themselves, I don't get it . I guess little black dresses and lots o' arrogance keep one's conscience at bay, something like that.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:46 AM
Seems like plenty of people like to play at her level - just look at some of the responses here. Perhaps she taps into a true level of public discourse.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #105
The Fly

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Professor Ward Churchill has made equally inflammatory remarks about the 9/11 victims, but because his position is more from the left, the reaction to his statements has not been so severe.