Coulter Attacks 9/11 Widows - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 AM
I think Bin Laden is easier to find than Ann Coulter's soul is..

Olbermann: Honestly, if you were Ann Coulter's attorney at a sanity hearing where could you possibly start? Our #2 story on the Countdown, eclipsing even Bill O'Reilly and Malmedy, the Connecticut Screech has continued her assault on 9/11 widows. After calling them "witches who acted as if the terrorist attacks happened only to them" she has now told Reuters news that they are, quote, "professional victims." All as part of the promotion of a book in which she claims *liberals* are, quote, "godless."

[Today Show interview tape]

Let's return to *this* planet. To recap Coulter's argument: The wives of those who died in the worst attack in this nation's history enjoyed their husband's deaths and profited off them, they have politicized 9/11, their positions as widows immunize them from any criticism or debate over their opinions. All of this stated by a commentator much of whose income in the last four and a half years has derived from *her* speeches and writings about the deaths of those same men on 9/11. All this stated by a commentator who has staunchly, repeatedly, and enthusiastically defended an administration that began to politicize 9/11 within a month of the nightmare and has never paused for a moment since. All of this stated by a commentator who has called those who have criticized her and her party "un-American" and now, "godless." All of this stated by a commentator who is bitching that these 9/11 widows can't be criticized while she is writing a book and going on TV and venomously criticizing them.

[Tucker Carlson interview tape, ending with Coulter saying, "these women got paid, they ought to take their money and shut up about it."]

The way Ann Coulter always does when she's criticized.

Ms. Coulter's walk on the swaying tightrope of her own emotional stability did not end there. In her book she also wrote, "And by the way, how do we know their husbands weren't planning to divorce these harpies? Now that their shelf life is dwindling, they'd better hurry up and appear in Playboy..."

Appearing in Playboy and getting divorced -- neither of those being scenarios that Ann Coulter is ever going to have to deal with in *her* life.

Five of the most politically active 9/11 widows, including Kristen Breitweiser and Lorie Van Auken, have responded in a written statement.

[Statement shown]

And lastly, back to my allusion about having to defend Ann Coulter in a sanity hearing, that was inappropriate -- because it was insufficient. Imagine, in fact, defending her on Judgment Day -- and trying to find her soul.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
And he makes a very persuasive case about her and the theology behind what she did.

he does.

and Penn and Teller -- of "Bullshit!" fame on Showtime -- went after her as well.

and they went after Ghandi for being a huge racist.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #78
Refugee

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Small point:

Coulter was referring to four 9/11 widows in particular, not all of them: Kristen Breitweiser, Lorie Van Auken, Mindy Kleinberg and Patty Casazza.

Seems to have been lost in the fiery overreaction, but I agree, she is the worst criminal on planet earth, along with Hitchens, Penn and Ghandi.

Teller is cool, though, I can't imagine him saying anything offensive to me.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:34 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It seems like a lot of people who support Coulter's statement condemned Ward Churchill's statement. I don't see a difference- both were wrong.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #80
Blue Crack Supplier

i wonder if Coulter isn't a performance artist.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 4U2Play
Seems to have been lost in the fiery overreaction, but I agree, she is the worst criminal on planet earth, along with Hitchens, Penn and Ghandi.

if you're interested, here's one of Hitchens' pieces on MT:

[q]Mommie Dearest
The pope beatifies Mother Teresa, a fanatic, a fundamentalist, and a fraud.
By Christopher Hitchens
Posted Monday, Oct. 20, 2003, at 4:04 PM ET

Mother Teresa: No saint

I think it was Macaulay who said that the Roman Catholic Church deserved great credit for, and owed its longevity to, its ability to handle and contain fanaticism. This rather oblique compliment belongs to a more serious age. What is so striking about the "beatification" of the woman who styled herself "Mother" Teresa is the abject surrender, on the part of the church, to the forces of showbiz, superstition, and populism.

http://www.slate.com/id/2090083/

[/q]
Old 06-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #82
Refugee

Thanks for that, Irvine, I always read Hitchen's stuff on Slate and in The Atlantic magazine, very provocative.

People like him and Coulter are media geniuses, I think.

They know exactly what they are saying, and they know exactly how the public will respond.

People love to think of themselves as morally superior to everyone else, so whenever Coulter or Hitchens lash out at sacred cows like Mother Teresa and the four 9/11 widows from New Jersey, the great unwashed masses love to jump up and down screaming about how evil they are and how dare they, etc., which allows them to feel good about their moral outrage while continuing to ignore real outrages like the genocide in Darfur (see how many people here responded to my previous threads regarding Sudan compared to this thread).

Predictable stuff.

Now, everyone in the English-speaking world knows who Ann Coulter is. She used to be one of those right-wing hacks polluting Fox News every night, now she's been given the power to offend millions around the globe.

Hitchens must be insanely jealous.

Chris will probably go after Mandela (Marxist) and baby harp seals (smelly) next.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier

wow -- i really can't agree with the comparison between Hitchens and Coulter.

Hitchens has been a public intellectual for a long, long time whereas Coulter seems to have been born rich and blond and skinny and went to Cornell law school.

i think Hitchens has a "schtick" -- the drunken British pundit who lives in the US -- but i don't think the two of them are at all intellectually comparable.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
the great unwashed masses love to jump and down screaming about how evil they are and how dare they, etc., which allows them to feel good about their moral outrage while continuing to ignore real outrages like the genocide in Darfur
Very insightful - an ever growing aspect of public discourse these days.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #85
Refugee

Irvine,

Maybe not, but they both know how to garner media attention.

That was the point. And that takes a certain cunning, no?

Coulter is given 7 minutes of air time on NBC for calling someone names, while RFK, Jr. is given 30 seconds of air time despite having something very important to talk about (the vote in Ohio).

Notice Coulter isn't backing down from her writings? She was on TV today calling the 9/11 widows "witches and harpies". Brilliant.

Guess whose name will appear on this list soon:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/bo...=1&oref=slogin
Old 06-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #86
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Very insightful - an ever growing aspect of public discourse these days.
Yes, but you can't blame us. We are all so busy with our own little lives, our own little outrages.

Real outrages like Darfur are far too big, far too distant to wrap our heads around. What does Sudan have to do with us?

It's much easier for me to turn on the TV, watch loudmouths like Ann Coulter call someone a "witch", and proceed to get my knickers in twist for a few days.

I can then get on the internet and engage in my daily "Two Minutes Hate" session, then get on with my busy schedule.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #87
Blue Crack Supplier

^ can't say i disagree with you at all
Old 06-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #88
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
^ can't say i disagree with you at all
Damn, that sucks.

Now what do I say?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:34 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

whereas Coulter seems to have been born rich and blond and skinny and went to Cornell law school.

As if she'd subject herself to the horrors of the librul Ivy league!

Cow went to Michigan.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:34 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:

Yes, but you can't blame us. We are all so busy with our own little lives, our own little outrages.

Real outrages like Darfur are far too big, far too distant to wrap our heads around. What does Sudan have to do with us?

It's much easier for me to turn on the TV, watch loudmouths like Ann Coulter call someone a "witch", and proceed to get my knickers in twist for a few days.

I can then get on the internet and engage in my daily "Two Minutes Hate" session, then get on with my busy schedule.
Busy with our own lives, and many have no idea where Darfur is on a map.