Could I bring the KKK to speak in public schools during Black History Month? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
BVS,

By "how many people", you mean me?
You and many others.

I mean look at that list you made. Comparing political issues with someone's life, someone's sexuality? Quite discusting.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:15 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 10:00 PM
I don't you read all my posts.

What don't I get?

Old 04-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #48
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don't you read all my posts.

What don't I get?
I think I made it pretty clear.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #49
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

So, it's anarchism for you then, eh?

You do realise there is a difference between freedom and discrimination, don't you?
Anarchism - Not at all. These can't protest violently, they can't protest in disruption of the other protest. But they can protest.

Discrimination isn't entering into this I don't think. It'd be discriminatory if the truth people were using the protest as a way to actively prevent the silent people from their protest.

Like during the civil rights movement in the US during the 60's, when the racist white people were staging protests at the school doors to prevent black people from entering, that's discrimatory and illegal. But if the protest was across the street, even though what they're protesting is wrong, it iss legal and it's also important that they have the right to do so.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Yes, it was intentional.

I understand the intent of the day of silence, and I respect it. I think it's a good thing.

But if you think it's only about respect... Kids are bullied for a lot of different things... are you ok with having days for all of those various things? Smart kids, fat kids, geeky kids, bald kids, short kids, goth kids, emo kids, jock kids, etc...

Perhaps we could expand the list to...

Pro-Gun kids
Pro-Abortion Kids
Anti-Gun Kids
Anti-Abortion Kids
Pre-Marital Sex Kids
Anti pre-marital sex kids
Pro-Rap Culture Kids
Anti-Pro Rap Culture Kids

Does it make any sense to protest days dedicated to respecting kids in the top group? Guess not. Bottom group? Hmm... Where do the LGBT kids fit? Unfortunately, somewhere in the middle.
Ormus already addressed this, but I was away so I'll respond with what I wanted to say anyway.

Your extended list consists of political issues, choices people have made. And the whole term "rap culture" is debatable in itself. But anyway, those are all stances people have. People in the LGBT community are different from that list, they don't fit anywhere, beginning, middle, nor end. It is their LIFE. It is not a political issue. Being respectful of a community, a culture, is not debatable. Equality and justice should not be considered debatable. The only people making it a political issue are those who aren't accepting that.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

Like during the civil rights movement in the US during the 60's, when the racist white people were staging protests at the school doors to prevent black people from entering, that's discrimatory and illegal. But if the protest was across the street, even though what they're protesting is wrong, it iss legal and it's also important that they have the right to do so.
I have to agree. A rally to promote your cause is free speach.
It's when you try to invoke hate, intimidation and violence into, or try to inact legislation againist someone's elses belief, be it race, religion or no religion, Love or how to love, then it becomes discrimination.
I truly think the tide is turning and there is a great deal more of younger generation that is more tolerant and accepting than the one's that came before.
I pray it's so.. and there's a long way to go
Old 04-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #52
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I think I made it pretty clear.
No you didn't.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

No you didn't.
Quote:
I mean look at that list you made. Comparing political issues with someone's life, someone's sexuality? Quite discusting.
What part are you not getting?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #54
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

Ormus already addressed this, but I was away so I'll respond with what I wanted to say anyway.

Your extended list consists of political issues, choices people have made. And the whole term "rap culture" is debatable in itself. But anyway, those are all stances people have. People in the LGBT community are different from that list, they don't fit anywhere, beginning, middle, nor end. It is their LIFE. It is not a political issue. Being respectful of a community, a culture, is not debatable. Equality and justice should not be considered debatable. The only people making it a political issue are those who aren't accepting that.
Right -- I had two groups. One describing fat kids, smart kids, bald kids, etc... and then a group of kids based on political choices. Bullying either group is a shame and wrong.

I stated that CURRENTLY, today in american society, I think that the LGBT kids fall in between those groups, because much of it is still politicized, ableit unfairly.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #55
Refugee

Quote:
I mean look at that list you made. Comparing political issues with someone's life, someone's sexuality? Quite discusting
Right, you don't choose to be short, but you do choose whether you are for or against abortion. Understood.

But my point was, they all deserve respect. Doesn't everyone?

I am extremely empathetic to the cause, so I still am not sure what I am not 'getting' and especially am not comprehending what is so disgusting about actually discussing the topic at hand.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #56
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Right, you don't choose to be short, but you do choose whether you are for or against abortion. Understood.

But my point was, they all deserve respect. Doesn't everyone?

I am extremely empathetic to the cause, so I still am not sure what I am not 'getting' and especially am not comprehending what is so disgusting about actually discussing the topic at hand.
Short was not on that list. You were talking about how it was still a political issue, but you're the only one making it one.

That's the part you weren't getting.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #57
Refugee

ok, let me quote the whole post, and go through it...

Quote:
Yes, it was intentional.

I understand the intent of the day of silence, and I respect it. I think it's a good thing.

But if you think it's only about respect... Kids are bullied for a lot of different things... are you ok with having days for all of those various things? Smart kids, fat kids, geeky kids, bald kids, short kids, goth kids, emo kids, jock kids, etc...

Perhaps we could expand the list to...

Pro-Gun kids
Pro-Abortion Kids
Anti-Gun Kids
Anti-Abortion Kids
Pre-Marital Sex Kids
Anti pre-marital sex kids
Pro-Rap Culture Kids
Anti-Pro Rap Culture Kids

Does it make any sense to protest days dedicated to respecting kids in the top group? Guess not. Bottom group? Hmm... Where do the LGBT kids fit? Unfortunately, somewhere in the middle.
Notice I did mention short kids in the first list. Political stuff in the second list. I also mentioned that "UNFORTUNATELY" I think LGBT kids are somewhere in the middle.

No, I am not 'MAKING' it political. It is political, especially since most of the republican party and about half the country still think it's political. I wish it weren't.

Read the posts next time.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:49 PM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
ok, let me quote the whole post, and go through it...

Notice I did mention short kids in the first list. Political stuff in the second list. I also mentioned that "UNFORTUNATELY" I think LGBT kids are somewhere in the middle.

No, I am not 'MAKING' it political. It is political, especially since most of the republican party and about half the country still think it's political. I wish it weren't.

Read the posts next time.
They aren't in the middle. Their sexuality isn't half political and half something they are born with.

I read your posts.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #59
Refugee

I am not saying LGBT kid's sexuality is political.

But the plight is. Funny how you "you aren't getting it".

Quote:
Politics is the process by which groups make decisions. It is the authoritative allocation of values. Although the term is generally applied to behavior within governments, politics is observed in all human group interactions, including corporate, academic, and religious institutions.

In its most basic form, politics consists of "social relations involving authority or power".[1] In practice, the term refers to the regulation and government of a nation-state or other political unit,[2] and to the methods and tactics used to formulate and apply government policy.[3]
Old 04-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I am not saying LGBT kid's sexuality is political.

But the plight is. Funny how you "you aren't getting it".

Quote:
I think LGBT kids are somewhere in the middle.
You said nothing about their plight, you said they are somewhere in the middle.