Could I bring the KKK to speak in public schools during Black History Month?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe your wording could have been different, maybe that's not what you meant, but I wasn't the only one who thought that's what you meant. :shrug:

fair enough.

Know though, that I think the "day of silence" seems to send the right message to kids, regardless of their political orientation.

And that is awesome.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

They aren't in the middle. Their sexuality isn't half political and half something they are born with.

I read your posts.
Wouldn't it be fair to say that a number of gays have a cultural identity of sorts due to their sexuality? I think that would be where the point is valid.

A_Wanderer said:
Wouldn't it be fair to say that a number of gays have a cultural identity of sorts due to their sexuality? I think that would be where the point is valid.

it's a very complex question.

there is certainly a thing known as "gay culture," and within that exist many subcultures -- "bears," for example -- and one can choose to identify, or dis-identify, with as much as what's known as "gay culture" as much as one wants. for me, it was first understanding how i was similar, and then determining how i was quite different, from what i understood as gay culture. gay culture also varies city to city, country to country, and, like all cultures, isn't monolithic, though it always carries certain signifiers.

however, what's true about being gay -- and which is why it doesn't always work as a perfect analogy to ethnicity -- is that one can "pass" as straight, in the way that, say, Jews can "pass" as gentile, or very light skinned blacks could "pass" for white. so this makes being part of the culture a bit more optional, so to speak. it can be turned on or turned off, depending on the situation, and you'd be amazed at how borderline schizophrenic some gays can be. one of the swishiest men i know is in the military and he says he's butch and stern and "straight" as can be during the day, and it's at night and on the weekend, where he's not threatened with DADT, that he busts out and nearly overcompensates as the pearls fall from his mouth whenever he speaks.

but, anyway, in general, gay people can "pass" for straight in a way that, say, my Indian friend could never "pass" for white.

so it's a complex thing, and a gay identity doesn't quite work out so well in the hyphenated form as do others. i felt uncomfortable with McGreevy's "I am a Gay American" comment. in the ethnicity department, i personally identify with my Irish and Swedish heritage and would never understand gay as being analogous to that. a Swedish person can never be, say, Korean, and a Korean person can never be Swedish, but they both can be gay. or not.

i dunno. just writing, i suppose.

Back
Top Bottom