Could I bring the KKK to speak in public schools during Black History Month? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2007, 12:37 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:33 AM
You do "KKK History Month."

Get the kids versed in important dates and figures in cross burning and lynching history.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:41 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
No, I as an Australian with no ancestors who came via America I don't have an opinion on Black History Month because it has nothing to do with my countries history or any of my ancestors. Slavery was a shaping force in your country and the history of it encompasses both white and black -
Accept for the slave trade that is ofcourse,.....and slave trade is not nothing.

Australia is conected with british history i thought .

Old 04-15-2007, 01:58 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom to organize mean simply freedom to do so. You can't prohibit someone from that just because you think it's morally wrong. You can't have it both ways. Once you start establishing rules as to what we're "free" to protest against, we're no longer free. It doesn't matter who's protesting what. We have to have that right.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:08 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Why do these fundamentalist groups insist on poisoning the minds of young children who are going to school? Why can't they promote their agendas outside the classroom? I just find it all interesting that public schools now have become such a hot topic. Isn't it more worth their time to annoy those with voting rights?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:26 AM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock
Freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom to organize mean simply freedom to do so. You can't prohibit someone from that just because you think it's morally wrong. You can't have it both ways. Once you start establishing rules as to what we're "free" to protest against, we're no longer free. It doesn't matter who's protesting what. We have to have that right.
Well you're missing the point...

How many schools allow the KKK?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:28 AM   #21
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock
So, it's anarchism for you then, eh?

You do realise there is a difference between freedom and discrimination, don't you?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-15-2007, 03:30 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
Why do these fundamentalist groups insist on poisoning the minds of young children who are going to school? Why can't they promote their agendas outside the classroom? I just find it all interesting that public schools now have become such a hot topic. Isn't it more worth their time to annoy those with voting rights?
Because it's easier and more effective to indroctrinate children than adults.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:35 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

i dunno...i think the results of the last u.s. presidential election would be an exception.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:44 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

i dunno...i think the results of the last u.s. presidential election would be an exception.
...or maybe a case in point. After all, fundie groups have been actively recruiting for decades now. Perhaps Dubya and his ilk are some of the fruits of their labour. I'm often shocked by how conservative, and in many cases rigid, many young people I meet are.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Of course it's a double standard.

Historically there's never been freedom of speech inside public schools, from banning books and censoring the school paper to no cussing. I'm interested to see what would happen if that were ever challenged, but my guess is the school will cave just like the Danbury school did.

Oh and speaking of the Danbury situation, what the hell exactly is a "former homosexual"? Did she experiment in college, kiss a girl at a party or something, and is now doing her pennance? I didn't think sexuality was like religion where you can wake up one day & just switch...silly me.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
Accept for the slave trade that is ofcourse,.....and slave trade is not nothing.

Australia is conected with british history i thought .
Yeah.....and your point being?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:08 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:33 PM
The KKK threatened to kill my Dad. Needless to say I'm not so fond of them.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Why do these gay rights groups insist on poisoning the minds of young children who are going to school? Why can't they promote their agendas outside the classroom? I just find it all interesting that public schools now have become such a hot topic. Isn't it more worth their time to annoy those with voting rights?
Quote:

Quote:
Would you all not agree that this issue is still 'political'? I realize that most here would not like it to be political -- but wouldn't you agree, it still is? Therefore, it would still be appropriate for others to protest/excercise free speech?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

There was a similar story recently about a girl/parents who sued because she wanted to wear a t-shirt in "protest" of the day of silence, and there was an issue over what she could say on the tshirt. I had a thread about it, something like "be happy not gay".

It is about homophobia, not homosexuality-and I don't see how it isn't a double standard. There is something fundamentally wrong and sad when promoting understanding and decency on the part of kids/teens towards each other in schools is twisted by some people for their own agendas. It's a day of silence to promote decency towards fellow students (which is necessary considering how some kids/teens treat each other in schools in general, let alone how they might treat gay students), and they act as if all who participate are running around shouting that everyone should be gay and "promoting" homosexuality, whatever that means. Even if anyone did do that, it's not as if heterosexuality isn't promoted constantly in one way or another.

I think allowing racist events and speakers during black history month is a valid comparison. Of course I suppose some would beg to differ and justify that on their belief that gay people choose to be gay, whereas minorities don't choose to be minorities. As if they are choosing the gay "lifestyle" and thus "promoting" it in events such as this. I don't believe that at all, but some people do. Or at least that's how they justify their stance.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #30
Refugee

From the dayofsilence.com website:

Quote:
DAY OF SILENCE, April 18, 2007: The Day of Silence is an annual event held to bring attention to anti-LGBT bullying, harassment and discrimination in schools. Students and teachers nationwide will observe the day in silence to echo the silence that LGBT and ally students face everyday. In it's 11th year, the Day of Silence is one of the largest student-led actions in the country.
They really make it a point to call out that it's "student-led" indicating that it is not a function of the school itself. Links to "how to organize" etc... on the website would indicate that they expect students and teachers to conduct this based on free speech rights.

Black History month, I think is observed nationally by federal law. Not saying that LGBT issues should not be observed nationally by law, just that they aren't currently (again, still in this political stage).

On a side note, I kind of feel bad for those who are bullied and not LGBT. I guess they have their day... I'm just not sure it's publicized as much.