Corporate Discrimination And Hatred - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 08-19-2005, 07:25 PM   #46
love, blood, life
Local Time: 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Writing in caps is annoying and sometimes seen as rude, Jeff.
It is annoying to you Anna. And this case (you did say "sometimes" it was not rude. It was used for emphasis, Anna.

Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Staff in service represent the company they work for. I dont see much point in sparing some faceless organisation regardles of how large, when the staff they hired fucked up. Age and especially when talking about someone as old as 17 (or potentially, as this is unknown and you have just thrown this in randomly) again makes no excuses. Sensitivity is not an issue in this either. People with disabilities cannot be excluded from public places. End of story. Doesnt matter how nicely you ask, or how old the requester is. It's just simply wrong. Or WRONG, if you will.
I am not saying that it was right for the manager of the Cineplex to try and exclude the boy with cerebral palsy from watching the movie.

Anna...tell me about the last time you were in a multiplex in North America? Have you seen the staff at the multiplexes in North America?

Let me carry-on a little further, Anna. IF you want to blame the faceless corporations who hired these individuals, lets also blame society and the US economy, as well as generations of people that have come before us. Why?

Well, in all three of these cases, the individuals (yes, individuals) who actually wronged consumers are in low-skill jobs with little education needed. They are also low paying jobs. If our society was better (or communist), we would have better educated individuals, and the jobs would all pay better. Right?

OK..I am done with that rant. But two more left.

Personal responsibility: I see a lack of this more and more everyday. People do not want to take personal responsibility for their actions. The three businesses involved all responded. But the individuals did not THINK before they acted...and since have lost their job (all though, we do not know of the outcome of the cineplex "manager").

Finally...I cannot stand the media's over-dramatization of EVERYTHING.

Oh, shoot, Anna. I almost got through this post without annoying you with words in caps (or what I consider my "online outside at the airport voice").

Old 08-20-2005, 06:52 AM   #47
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Last names and looks aren't always indicative of someone's ethnicity. I have a very Jewish last name-Kaufman-yet, I was raised Catholic. And with my red hair, fair skin, and blue eyes I look very Irish yet, I have no Irish blood in me.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:18 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:34 AM

Palestinian Bomber' offer irks recipient

CORONA, Calif. - The address was his, but the name on the credit-card offer took Sami Habbas by surprise: "Palestinian Bomber."

"I thought it was a joke or something," said Habbas, 54, a Palestinian American who served in the U.S. Army.

Habbas opened the letter, and the salutation read "Dear Palestinian Bomber."

When he called the company, JPMorgan Chase & Co., provided his ZIP code and invitation number, two operators said to him: "Yes, Mr. Bomber, what can we do for you?"

"It's very upsetting," Habbas said. "I'm not what they are saying, a Palestinian bomber. That's uncalled for. I have a name. My name is Sami Habbas."

The information came from a list Chase purchased from a vendor, said Kelly J. Presta, Chase Card Services executive vice president. Chase Card Services, the Delaware-based credit card line of JPMorgan Chase & Co., said it doesn't know how that name was attached to Habbas' address, but it is investigating.

"Although no Chase employee was involved in creating this information, we are embarrassed by this incident and regret that our automatic screening procedures did not catch this erroneous information," Presta said.

Habbas, a grocer who has lived in the United States since age 3, doesn't know why he would be singled out or how anyone would even know he has Palestinian heritage.

"It just hurt me to think I am discriminated against in my own back yard," he said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations in Washington, D.C., has asked Chase for a formal apology.

"The most important thing is to make sure this doesn't happen again, to any American, regardless of their race or religion," said Sabiha Khan, spokeswoman for the Muslim civil liberties group in Southern California.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:38 AM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 12:34 AM
Old 08-25-2005, 07:23 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 10:34 PM
sophmoric prank + automated communication systems = bad results