Corporate Discrimination And Hatred - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2005, 09:14 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I think writing "jew couple" is offensive, I don't think people are looking to be offended. That's just my sensibility on that. I think in 2005 there's no need or place for that.
And I think that's where we differ. Where you may think that we've come a long enough way that we shouldn't need to label people as "Jew" and the like, I think that we've come a long enough way that people shouldn't be so offended by such semantics as the difference between "Jewish" and "Jew." Just two very different takes on the subject, I guess.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:05 AM
There's a difference between 'Jew couple' and 'Jewish couple'. Words are important.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:20 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
likewise, to lable something as "Jew" just sounds derogatory, like "your Jew girlfriend" or "that Jew director" or "those Jew bankers" simply sounds different than "your Jewish girlfriend" or "that Jewish director" or "those Jewish bankers."

Exactly correct.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:27 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

I need to stop reading FYM. All it does anymore is piss me off.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:41 AM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
There's a difference between 'Jew couple' and 'Jewish couple'. Words are important.
Should they be, though? Especially in situations like this?

I seriously doubt the poor waitress meant any harm or offense to the couple in question, and to think that the addition of the suffix "-ish" may have yielded a different situation seems silly to me.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24

Should they be, though? Especially in situations like this?

I seriously doubt the poor waitress meant any harm or offense to the couple in question, and to think that the addition of the suffix "-ish" may have yielded a different situation seems silly to me.

i agree.

i would guess that a waitress in New Jersey probably knows and is friends with many, many Jews, and it was simply thoughtlessness on her part.

but i think the point does stand -- it was derogatory to refer to something as a "Jew" whatever, or to use the word "Jew" as a verb is simply derogatory.

gosh, didn't you all see "School Ties"?

Old 08-19-2005, 10:14 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

but i think the point does stand -- it was derogatory to refer to something as a "Jew" whatever, or to use the word "Jew" as a verb is simply derogatory.
that's what I've always thought and believed

Maybe the most important point is that it was offensive to those Jewish people, not whether or not everyone/anyone else thinks it's offensive

A corporation might do it's best to avoid all of this, but ultimately it goes back to them and reflects poorly on them, whether it's legally discrimination or legally "hate" as in hate speech or hateful actions.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:57 AM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:05 AM
Quote:
Is "Jew" really considered a racial slur? It might just be me here, but I don't see the big deal in labeling the people at the table as a "Jew couple" for personal identification purposes. I mean, if the waitress had put down "Jesus Killers," then I could see why people would be so outraged. But I don't see all of the fuss over "Jew couple." If I went into a predominetly black restaurant with my white girlfriend (me being white myself), I wouldn't mind being labeled as the "white couple." I mean, am I missing something here?

How did they know they were Jewish? Yes you are white and that's obvious, but how did they know they were Jewish?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Yes that's kind of the elephant in the room so to speak, how did they know? They assumed. And why would they even have to use that as a description- they wouldn't say "Catholic couple", would they?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:01 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
How did they know they were Jewish? Yes you are white and that's obvious, but how did they know they were Jewish?
Well, someone with the name 'Eliot Stein' is most likely Jewish.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Maybe they appeared Jewish (big nose and the like) or maybe the waitress was just going on the last name (Stein), which sounds like a traditional Jewish name.

Either way, the waitress was just using that name to identify for herself the customers. She apparently thought that they were Jewish, and she was merely using that observation so that she could identify their table.

But, even if they turned out not to be Jewish, would their mistaken identity be such a big deal? If someone mistakenly identified me as of Hispanic descent (I'm fairly tan and have brown hair - I'm actually Italian/Irish), I wouldn't be offended, I'd just correct them and then forget about it.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
And why would they even have to use that as a description- they wouldn't say "Catholic couple", would they?
Well, if you're talking about the Jewish religion. The term "Jewish" can also be used to refer to more of a culture or an ethnicity (people from Israel), as well as to just people of the religion.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

The term "Jewish" can also be used to refer to more of a culture or an ethnicity (people from Israel), as well as to just people of the religion.
Yes I understand that, but that's still irrelevant to this issue in my opinion

You really need to be careful about stereotypes such as "big noses"
Old 08-19-2005, 11:14 AM   #29
Refugee

Quote:

Yes I understand that, but that's still irrelevant to this issue in my opinion

You really need to be careful about stereotypes such as "big noses"
Well, the question "how did they know they were Jewish?" is pretty irrelevant in the first place, because the couple was, indeed, Jewish.

Also, I don't think I'm being stereotypical by inferring that a large amount of the people with Jewish ethnicity have large noses and the like. I'm not saying that all Jewish people have big noses, I'm just inferring that it's a coomon trait. A large amount of Irish people have red hair, so I often connect red hair with being of Irish descent. Does that mean that I'm somehow perpetuating steroetypes by doing so?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:14 AM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:05 AM
Quote:

Maybe they appeared Jewish (big nose and the like)
Well then you answered your own question as to why it's offensive.

Quote:

or maybe the waitress was just going on the last name (Stein), which sounds like a traditional Jewish name.
If she knew their name prior to seating them, then why not put 'the Steins' on the ticket?