Convergence - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2005, 08:56 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Oh, no, that wouldn't be appropriate, because we don't know who the fudge the author is nor his background. He may have an alcohol problem or go out drinking with Hitchens or Cohen or Gene freakin' Simmons.

~U2Alabama
lol; the authors background can matter and effect the importance of their comments; thats why Kissinger makes for a very powerful advocate (except in circles that disagree with him) but an anonymous blogger is more or less useless.

As far as Hitchens and booze go all I can think of is relevence. How is his propensity towards alcohol effect his arguments any more than his political biases, blinkered world view and single issue positions.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:15 PM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:17 PM
Victor Davis Hanson is a well respected military historian. His background is also in the classics. He has written some really good books, the latest of which is titled (IIRC) Ripples of Battle. Also check out his books the Western Way of War, Carnage and Culture, and Warfare and Agriculture in Classical Greece. I think he taught at Stanford (he may even have his PhD from there also).

Old 08-26-2005, 09:17 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ft. Worth Frog
Victor Davis Hanson is a well respected military historian. His background is also in the classics. He has written some really good books, the latest of which is titled (IIRC) Ripples of Battle. Also check out his books the Western Way of War, Carnage and Culture, and Warfare and Agriculture in Classical Greece. I think he taught at Stanford (he may even have his PhD from there also).

Thanks for the heads up.

It looks as though his expertise on financial affairs is not at the level of his military expertise.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:17 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:17 PM
I read this article, and I see "fearmongering wheel reinvention." Either that, or I was prophetic at the age of 12. I said a long time ago that the "extremes" of all ideologies have much in common far before 9/11 and the "war on terror."

However, the trouble I have with this article is that it paints all dissent as "extremist." That is, unless you love Bush and you love the war 100% unquestioningly, you must be somewhere in bed with either Benito Mussolini or Joseph Stalin. And, more importantly, it firmly establishes "neo-conservative" as the "mainstream," without ever having to say it at all. Cindy Sheehan is not an extremist; she is the face of *vocalized* "soccer mom" dissent. It won't always be the most eloquent of protest, but the average person is far from perfect.

I do appreciate your search for truth, which I also believe to be earnest. I just happen to disagree with this article based on its merits, not its sources.

Melon
Old 08-26-2005, 09:21 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:17 AM
Indeed; I think that these articles generally write to a specific audience, as most do, they do not challenge the given mindset of that environment ~ which is true for most.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:28 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:17 PM
The problem with neo con writers painting others as the extremists is that they are the most far out of the lot in terms of their weird marriage of Trotskyism and the One Best Way approach.

Simplistic one-side-fits-all doctrines gave us the gulags of Siberia and today another simplistic world view has given us the gulag of Abu Ghraib.

Sorry I forgot, Abu Ghraib is IN NO WAY comparable to a gulag etc, etc.