Controversy over sheriff's web site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
This is a link to the site of Marshall County, Alabama, sheriff's site. We are having a controversy here over it mainly because of his not-so-friendly reference to gays. Some people approve, and some people are really angry and upset. What do you think? Should a public official have this on their web site?

http://www.marshallco.org/www/

anyone could have their website.. but you expect a public official to be more responsible. it is sad to see some people in law enforcement to undermine tolerance and secular values:(

I guess you know exactly where that guy stands. He may be proud of his statements, but I think they will come back and bite him in the ass.

And yes, I think it is good for public officials to have web sites.

The controversy is not really over the fact that he has a web site, it's the things he's saying on it that are controversial. Frankly, I think it sucks. Sure, men were men and women were women in the '40's and 50's..........it was also illegal for whites and African Americans to use the same water fountain in Alabama! I'm not saying he wants to go back to segregation. I do think he's overlooking the evils that existed in those days. He's created some "golden age" that never existed. And I'm sure Roy Moore loves this stuff. At any rate it's hit the newspapers like a ton of bricks. A native of Marshall County now living in California ran into the site, was horrified, and called the newspapers.

Last edited:
That's one county I sure as hell won't be speeding through!

Does this make anyone else think of MY COUSIN VINNY?

It sure does fit the stereotype of Alabama, and damn, am I ever tired of our politicians making asses out of themselves in public and making the rest of us look like asses. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

e

I am proud to be an American and that I was fortunate enough to be born in Alabama. The state that has its motto "We dare defend our rights". I was raised in era, the 1940's as a child and the 1950's as a teenager, which I remember with great affection.

During this era, love of God, family, and country abounded. Men were men and women were women and there was no mistaking which was which. Both were proud of their individual roles. Homosexuality was very queer and a despicable act… an abomination.

During this era, those parents that owned televisions didn't have to worry that their children might be subjected to filth on television such as nudity, the use of God's name in vain, and other profanity because it was unheard of. Parents could allow their children to go to a movie without having to screen it first because the good guy always wore the white hats. There was no question who the "Good Guy" was. Even the "Bad Guy" in the movie didn't use foul language. During this era our nation had a conscience including the television and movie industry.

Children's school days started with the recitation of the "Lord's Prayer" and the "Pledge of Allegiance" to the flag of the United States of America.

It was a shame to break the law. Convicts worked our roadways in unmistakable clothing (black and white prisoner uniforms that clearly identified them as convicts). Their rights were to be sentenced to jail at hard labor as retribution to the victims and their crimes.

The "Ten Commandments" were proudly displayed as a reminder that the real Commander in Chief and Final Judge is God and that this nation was founded on Judeo/Christian principal. Neighbors helped each other instead of jumping at the chance to file a lawsuit.

A man's word was his bond. My word and bond to you, the citizens of Marshall County, is to do my very best to devote all my energy to do my part to return our society to the values that we once held dear.

Please join me. I need your help. Our children deserve no less.

Mac Holcomb
Sheriff
Marshall County Alabama

edited to add

what does a bigot look like

holcomb3.jpg

Last edited:
the thing that saddens me most is that quite a few people feel the same way he does and they see nothing wrong with his statements. in fact, they probably applaud him for being so outspoken on his beliefs. :sad:

The state that has its motto "We dare defend our rights". I was raised in era, the 1940's as a child and the 1950's as a teenager, which I remember with great affection.

ah, those good old days

blacks knew their place

we had poplar trees for the ones that got out of hand

Doozer61 said:
the thing that saddens me most is that quite a few people feel the same way he does and they see nothing wrong with his statements. in fact, they probably applaud him for being so outspoken on his beliefs. :sad:

Don't sheriff's get elected?

Yes, let's go back to those glory days of the 40's and 50's when there was no shame in being a bigot! :down: :|

I can't believe that crap is posted on a county website. They must be so proud.

Unfortunately the bigotry is continuing among some in my generation here in the south. :| You'd be shocked at some of the things i hear around school, and even from my own cousins. :tsk:

I have a couple of good friends who are gay. They live in Cullman, a small town about an hour's drive north of Birmingham, where I'm from. Ironically, they are in the marriage business, one is a caterer and the other is a florist. It's not like being gay is going to get you arrested here. I don't think it would be tolerated. These guys are also politically liberal, which figures. They have many conservative friends, however. These conservatives are good people and have nothing against gays. They don't meddle in other people's affairs. It's the bad apples in the conservative ranks who are so full of hate and venom. It's very tough, and we just have an awful feeling that it's open season on gays, people can say all sorts of insulting things about them and get praised for it. I wish I didn't have to believe all of the hatred and bigotry that's going on. Unfortunately I do. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
I would definitely *not* be shocked if the guy is in the Klan. Man, I need a demonstration against our idiot politicians big time. I may check out a liberal political meeting this Saturday.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom