Contaminated pet food kills dozens of dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
This is horrible. :slant:

Diamond Pet Foods recalled 19 varieties containing toxic chemical

COLUMBIA, S.C. - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports that at least 76 dogs nationwide are believed to have died as a result of eating contaminated Diamond Pet Foods.

The company has recalled 19 varieties of dog and cat food because tests showed high levels of aflatoxin, a naturally occurring toxic chemical that comes from a fungus found on corn and other grains that causes severe liver damage in animals.

The company recalled products manufactured at its Gaston, S.C., plant from around September to November 2005. Based on sample testing, Diamond has narrowed down the exposure to food produced on Oct. 11, Brinkmann said Thursday.

The FDA and the South Carolina Department of Agriculture have launched investigations.

Customers who have purchased the recalled Diamond Pet Food manufactured in the South Carolina plant should immediately stop using it and return any remaining product to their retailer, according to the FDA.

The range of date codes being reviewed are "Best By 01-March-07" through Best By " 11-June-07".

FDA also has discovered that some of the recalled product was exported to at least 29 countries, including countries within the European Union. These countries have been notified.

Diamond officials say they are doing what they can to help affected pet owners.

“It’s going to take some time to take care of all these customers, and we’re going to do it,” said the company’s chief operating officer, Mark Brinkmann.

Diamond has promised to reimburse pet owners for vet bills and other costs associated with the aflatoxin poisoning, which officials now believe may include pets in Europe and other areas outside the country where the food is distributed.

The company set up a call center staffed with veterinarians. The call volume peaked at about 2,000 calls a day last week, Brinkmann said.

Shanika Stewart has been caring for her ailing 9-year-old chow, force-feeding the animal with a syringe six times a day since suffering permanent liver damage after eating contaminated dog food.

“I haven’t had any time to do anything but take care of her,” said Stewart, a 19-year-old nursing student at the University of South Carolina. “She’s the No. 1 priority. ... I get maybe four hours of sleep before she wakes me up.”

Aflatoxin poisoning symptoms
Aflatoxin comes from a fungus found on corn and other crops and can cause severe liver damage in pets. If your pet shows any of these symptoms contact your veterinarian immediately.

— Sluggishness
— Loss of appetite
— Jaundice (yellow whites of the eyes, gums, belly)
— Severe, persistent vomiting combined with bloody diarrhea
— Fever
Source: Food and Drug Administration

Through relocations from Army bases in Georgia, Oklahoma, Washington and now South Carolina, Cocoa has been a constant companion for Stewart, whose father is serving in Iraq.

When her own daughter died last year, Stewart said Cocoa helped her through her grief. “It was like she understood,” Stewart said. “She was my best friend.”

Severe liver damage
Stewart’s other dog, a 2-year-old pit bull named Chulo, died last month just hours after being diagnosed with liver failure. It was only then that the family learned of the recall.

Stewart initially thought Cocoa had refused to eat because she was depressed about losing Chulo. After the recall, the family vet confirmed aflatoxin poisoning in Cocoa, Stewart said.

Steve Shrum, president of the South Carolina Association of Veterinarians, said vets around the state were confused when puppies began showing signs of liver problems usually seen in older dogs.

“It takes such a small amount, and there’s pretty much nothing you can do with the process that will inactivate that toxin once it gets in the food supply,” he said.

Stewart says she has not spoken with anyone at the company despite several calls. The family has filled out an online form explaining their situation.

“You don’t get anybody to talk to and tell your story,” she said. “It’s like they’re not concerned. To me, it’s like they’re saying, ’Oh well, we’ll get to it when we get to it.”’

Brinkmann was sympathetic.

“We’re going as fast as we can,” he said. “I grieve with her, and I’m going to do everything I can to make sure we can do right by her.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Aflatoxin comes from a fungus found on corn and other crops and can cause severe liver damage in pets. If your pet shows any of these symptoms contact your veterinarian immediately.

:rant: And corn isn't a natural diet for a dog anyway. Most dog foods use corn and grains as main ingredients in their food. Last time I checked, dogs were carnivores and should be on meat based diets. /:rant:

clarityat3am said:

:rant: And corn isn't a natural diet for a dog anyway. Most dog foods use corn and grains as main ingredients in their food. Last time I checked, dogs were carnivores and should be on meat based diets. /:rant:

YES. Well omnivores, actually, but your're correct. And this manufacturer makes cat food too. Cats are 100% carnivores so any cat food which has corn as one of the main ingredients is absolute crap.

I don't know for sure but my guess is these brands are bottom of the barrel quality (and price) wise.

You'd be surprised how many pet foods tout themselves as "premium" and still have crap ingredients, nasty byproducts and who knows what else. :barf:

I could list quite a few things to read about the poor quality of pet foods, and the treats they make aren't any better, really. :|

clarityat3am said:
You'd be surprised how many pet foods tout themselves as "premium" and still have crap ingredients, nasty byproducts and who knows what else. :barf:

I know. :( It's sick. If anyone is interested I have a lot of literature on this, as well as lists and resources for REAL high quality foods. They're more $$$ but worth it.

Catlady said:

I know. :( It's sick. If anyone is interested I have a lot of literature on this, as well as lists and resources for REAL high quality foods. They're more $$$ but worth it.

I feed my fuzzball Wellness. I'm curious to see what list of foods you have. :)

Catlady said:

They'll eat anything. And can thrive on a balanced diet of not only meat but veggies and (some) grains, too.

Veggies in moderation, yes. Grains, you're right, but less is more for that. :up: I follow quite a few raw feeding sites (we'll save that debate for later as I've not gone that far!) and I've learned a LOT from them.

clarityat3am said:

I feed my fuzzball Wellness. I'm curious to see what list of foods you have. :)

Wellness is THE BEST there is!! :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

PM me your email and I will shoot you my list (and I see we are in the same geography, I also have a great list of where to buy all the good stuff).

clarityat3am said:

Veggies in moderation, yes. Grains, you're right, but less is more for that. :up: I follow quite a few raw feeding sites (we'll save that debate for later as I've not gone that far!) and I've learned a LOT from them.

I love the Dr. Pitcairn book, great raw recipes for doggies.

JCOSTER said:
And dont give your dog those greenie treats either, my dog was recently sick from them and also others have died due to not bein able to digest them.

:sad: really? i wish i would have known this earlier... i just bought one for my black lab the other day :sad:

:mad:

It's not just low-end dog and cat food that's crap, a lot of guinea pig food is alfalfa based, which does nothing for guinea pigs. It's better to feed them a diet of just timothy hay than alfalfa based food pellets. Even though I gave my guinea pigs timothy hay and other fresh veggies, one of mine still got scurvey from the shitty food. Luckily, I knew what it was right away and mended her quickly with vitamin C (small amount of flinstone vitamin dissolved in orange juice - they love it!).

My pets have always eaten better than me, but they're also more sensitive and require more specialized diets.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
It's not just low-end dog and cat food that's crap, a lot of guinea pig food is alfalfa based, which does nothing for guinea pigs. It's better to feed them a diet of just timothy hay than alfalfa based food pellets. Even though I gave my guinea pigs timothy hay and other fresh veggies, one of mine still got scurvey from the shitty food. Luckily, I knew what it was right away and mended her quickly with vitamin C (small amount of flinstone vitamin dissolved in orange juice - they love it!).

My pets have always eaten better than me, but they're also more sensitive and require more specialized diets.

:yes:

I wish more people would take the time to understand what food is good for their pets and what is necessary in their diets for them to be healthy and look at the ingredients before they buy garbage food.

the local news (Atlanta) did a story about Greenies several weeks ago. Greenies bad.
i love my dogs too much to give them Greenies....
now greens, that's another thing...i'm a southern gal and my doggies love some greens...
greens may give them gas, but at least that won't kill them

JCOSTER said:
My Bearded Collie loves veggies except asparagus!:eyebrow:

My Zeke (Blue Heeler mix) seems to like everything except olives. And he loves pizza, but only if I cut it into bite-sized pieces -- otherwise he gives me this "Do I look as if I was raised in a barn?" look. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom