Contact lost with space shuttle Columbia - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 02-01-2003, 09:26 AM   #1
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Contact lost with space shuttle Columbia

JOHNSON SPACE CENTER, Houston, Texas (CNN) -- The space shuttle Columbia, with seven astronauts aboard, broke up as it descended over central Texas Saturday toward a planned landing at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Residents as far east as Shreveport, Louisiana, reported seeing and feeling an apparent explosion.

Search-and-rescue teams from the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, area were alerted and area residents were urged to stay away from any possible debris from the shuttle, which may be hazardous, said NASA public affairs officer James Hartfield.

President Bush was being briefed at Camp David, and the Bush administration was preparing to convene a "domestic event" conference among all domestic and military agencies that may be involved in the next step.

An administration official said the shuttle's altitude -- over 200,000 feet -- made it "highly unlikely" that the shuttle fell victim to a terrorist act.

NASA officials said they last had contact with the shuttle about 9 a.m. EST, and it had been expected to touch down at about 9:16 a.m. EST.

Wow, I don't know what to say. Pretty much no chance of survivors aboard the shuttle. Let's just hope no one on the ground was hurt.

Almost 17 years to the day after we lost Challenger.

Old 02-01-2003, 09:36 AM   #2
She wore graaaapes

Old 02-01-2003, 09:39 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 07:24 AM

I just saw that. The pieces are falling over Texas. It's terrible, just like the Challenger back in '86. Someone on TV brought up that they were worried about terrorism and security because we had an Israeli soldier on board. They said whatever it was, the astronauts did not have time to report it, so their communication was gone immediately whether or not they were. What happened? This is very shocking and sad. We'll have to wait for the details to come out.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:39 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
"Just in the past week, NASA observed the anniversary of its only two other space tragedies, the Challenger explosion, which killed all seven astronauts on board, and the Apollo space craft fire that killed three on Jan. 27, 1967."

Old 02-01-2003, 09:45 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 02:24 PM
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I hope terrorism wasn't involved. Someone on TV brought up that they were worried about security because we had an Israeli soldier on board.
I also think this is highly unlikely, next to impossible. At the moment of the explosion the space shuttle was at an altitude of more than 60 km. Of course, at this moment you cannot rule out anything so one has to take into account the possibility of sabotage. But I still think it's highly unlikely (why do it now, when there is much more attention at the launch?).

Nevertheless, it is a sad day for NASA and the families of the astronauts.

Old 02-01-2003, 09:47 AM   #6
Bad Daddy Johnny
Wierd, January is a bad month for NASA.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:50 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

WARNING to everybody in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, east Texas and West La.- they announced that if you find any debris,

it has a poison gas that will KILL you if you touch it or breath it!

They said breathing the gas will form a membrane around the air sacs of your lungs that will suffocate you to death within 48 hours. I hope no one on the ground has been hurt.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:15 AM   #8
An Angel In Devil's Shoes
I just heard on the local news here in Dallas that a house in a suburb north of me, in Plano, was believed to be hit by a piece of debris and a fire started by it.

I was still asleep at the time all of this was going dad called and woke me up.

Back in 1999 I actually saw the Columbia night landing (different crew) once as it flew overhead and I even took pictures of it.

I am a member of the Texas Astronomical Society of Dallas so I'm sure I will be hearing many reports about this very sad, tragic event.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:10 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 12:24 PM

I have just awaken to totally horrific news. I am still in shock. Please say a prayer for the crew of the shuttle and their families. God Bless them all.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:25 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:24 PM
What, the Columbia? MY Columbia?

This is the first Space Shuttle. They had it in the film in that special cinema in Washington, a kind of IMAX, I saw it for the first time 18 years ago. Do you remember the glorious take-off. That cant be true. And I remember the Space Center in Houston. My god, whats up there now...why the Columbia? It was the first of all. It was the most beautiful Space Shuttle.

God bless the victims.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:42 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Very sad.

Old 02-01-2003, 01:45 PM   #12
love, blood, life
Local Time: 08:24 AM

In 1986, I was in my senior year of high school. They announced it over the intercom. After school, I went to work as an aid in my congressman's office. I remember feeling so awful as the TV broadcasts in the office were showing what happened. We were also swamped with phone calls from constituents.

Peace to the families of these brave explorers.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:11 PM   #13
Ghost of Love
Local Time: 08:24 AM

I remember the original Columbia too. I made a large scale model of one for a science fair project and got second prize. I worked painstakingly on it for many months.

I had either posters of the shuttle or posters of pictures that the shuttle had taken on my walls for alot of my youth. Guess I was somewhat of a geek.

When I was in Grade 11 the Challenger blew up. I was working in the A/V club (another geeky thing I guess) and I remember wheeling all the available TVs into different classrooms so we could watch the news reports. It had been announced on the PA and as we went from room to room there was a dumb silence as students looked at me with this blank expression, waiting for the set to be turned on, but somehow not wanting me to turn it on either.

Kinda surreal that pretty much double the time (was 16 then, 32 now) a similar occurrence has happened again.

May God bless their families.
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook

Don't push this button:
I'm serious, don't!

Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 02-01-2003, 03:24 PM   #14
The Flower
Local Time: 04:24 AM
I can't believe this has happened again

It is kind of surreal, like gabrielvox said. 17 years ago, I got up early to watch the Challenger launch because of the teacher in space program. I was holding my 11 month old son while I watched the explosion and I just could not believe what I was seeing.

My son is now 17 years old and this morning he woke me up and told me to turn on the TV. 17 years later, we watched another space shuttle tragedy together.

So sad
Old 02-01-2003, 04:10 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
isn't this horrible?

s to all who need them.