Consumption Tax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think the idea of a progressive sales tax is interesting and should be investigated.

the goal, i think, of taxing people is to find some way of making sure that we all contribute to the well-being of society, and taxes -- which fund things like roads and schools and dams -- are one way of going about that. it makes senese that people at the top of the income ladder pay more because, 1) they can afford to, and, 2) society has been good to them, so they do, in a senese, "owe" it to their fellow citizens. also, you don't see too many sons and daughters of Greenwich, Beverley Hills, or of members of Congress (of course not all) serving in Iraq, as our armed forces tend to skew heavily towards the middle and working classes. we all have to pull our own weight, but in different ways and in accordance with our abilities.

a consumption tax, if applied fairly, and in my opinion it should be something similar to a VAT where non-essentials are taxed more heavily than essentials, might be a good way to ensure that the very wealthy pay their fair share (as they so often don't, with off-shore holdings and a team of lawyers ready to beat the tax codes ... and that's just individuals, dont' get me started on how corporate America is always 3 steps ahead of the IRS ... it's sickening and sad).

it does make sense, for example, to heavily tax a speedboat but not a loaf of bread. i suppose what becomes difficult is to determine what becomes considered a luxury and what is a necessity.

i dunno. it's an interesting idea, but the implementation of it sounds rather difficult.

It's an awful idea, mainly because the Bush Administration is looking for any excuse for the wealthy to stop paying taxes. When the wealthy are the biggest proponents of a sales tax, you know something's up. This will not be fair.

Melon

If wealthy people spend their money, they would likely end up paying more in taxes.

This would also tax individuals who have large wealth, small income and large spending habits.

Irvine511 said:
it does make sense, for example, to heavily tax a speedboat but not a loaf of bread. i suppose what becomes difficult is to determine what becomes considered a luxury and what is a necessity.

My guess is we would start with the state sales tax structure. Most food items are not taxed, yet some non-essential foods are taxed. I'm sure there is quite a history in evaluating this aspect of the tax system.

nbcrusader said:

My guess is we would start with the state sales tax structure. Most food items are not taxed, yet some non-essential foods are taxed. I'm sure there is quite a history in evaluating this aspect of the tax system.

Massachusetts taxes food, but not clothing. Something is seriously wrong with that.

nbcrusader said:

well, that would absolutely *kill* me.

i can live without peanut butter, but red thai curry paste!?!?!

and which do you think would be more likely to be considered non-essential?

;)

(on 2nd thought, this might totally kill the organic food movement ... unless we provide tax incentives for organic farmers or something ...)

(more tought needed)

speedracer said:
Massachusetts taxes food, but not clothing. Something is seriously wrong with that.

When I went to the grocery store, my food was not taxed. Clothing worth less than $200 is not taxed, I believe. Restaurant food is not a "necessity."

Melon

melon said:
It's an awful idea, mainly because the Bush Administration is looking for any excuse for the wealthy to stop paying taxes. When the wealthy are the biggest proponents of a sales tax, you know something's up. This will not be fair.

Melon
I agree. Bush is just trying to back the wealthy and create programs which would benefit the wealthy.

melon said:

When I went to the grocery store, my food was not taxed. Clothing worth less than $200 is not taxed, I believe. Restaurant food is not a "necessity."

Melon

Most people own way too many clothes. In addition, clothing is pretty much universally overpriced, especially considering where most of it comes from.

Massachusetts should find some way to tax all these college kids who buy Abercrombie clothes on their parents' credit cards.

speedracer said:
Massachusetts should find some way to tax all these college kids who buy Abercrombie clothes on their parents' credit cards.

Something to target the rich? They call it an income tax.

Regardless, Bush's "consumption tax" is not grounded in reality. Many economists have said that to completely eliminate income tax in favor of sales tax would require a 50+% sales tax, rather than a 23% tax (which is still pretty damn high, and is more than 3x higher than Canada's GST; not to mention that this doesn't even affect state sales taxes, so lump in state sales taxes and we have close to 30% sales taxes proposed here!).

I don't know who the GOP is trying to fool here. Lumping 30% on top of consumer goods is not going to spark additional buying (basic supply and demand makes that perfectly clear), and most of the payroll tax deductions are tied into Medicare and Social Security withholdings, which are not going away. The only people who will benefit from this are the rich, who, even in paying taxes, are already rich and just want even more money.

This entire proposal is just "class warfare": the rich, once again, passing the buck to the working class to make themselves richer.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom