Conspiracy Theories??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spiral_Staircase

War Child
Fear factor: Conspiracy theories go mainstream

More and more so-called 'normal'
people believe outlandish stories
By LEAH MCLAREN

Click the link to read the full story. Here's what I found interesting:

This year, The New Statesman compiled a list of recent international opinion polls revealing that an extraordinary number of people believe that world events are being controlled by shadowy off-stage elements.

Among the revelations: A near-majority of the Arab world believes that Jews were warned of the World Trade Center attacks; an actual majority believes that the Princess of Wales was murdered because she had a Muslim boyfriend; more than 50 per cent of all black Americans believe that the Central Intelligence Agency approves of widespread drug use in their community because of its pacifying effect, and one-fifth believe that the AIDS epidemic was introduced by the CIA; 80 per cent of all Americans believe that the U.S. government is deliberately concealing the true explanation behind Gulf War syndrome.

Add to this the runaway success of Thierry Meyssan's book L'Effroyable Impasture (The Horrible Fraud), which insists that no plane crashed into the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001 -- rather, he says, it was a planned internal bombing by the U.S. government to control rogue elements within the military.

What do you guys think of this stuff? Any conspriracy theorists in the house? Melon, please tell us all you know about the Bilderberg Group (you've got to have something on this).

None of it comes as a surprise to David Bell (who didn't want his real name used -- don't call him paranoid), a 35-year-old Toronto financier, who is one of the seemingly growing number of "normal" conspiracy theorists out there -- people who operate in mainstream society, but hold highly unorthodox views about the world.

After reading hundreds of books about conspiracies on everything from the Order of the Knights of the Templar to who killed JFK (hint: it wasn't Lee Harvey Oswald), Mr. Bell says he is absolutely convinced that no plane hit the Pentagon, that the Bush family is a criminal organization, and that the moon is really a space ship. And that's just for starters.

Anybody here believe the moon is a space ship?

Spiral,

Conspiracies do exists.

Many of the ones listed are most likely false.

There are some elements of truth in some of the theories.

The US government did do testing on U. S citizens with LSD in the sixties.

The Rand Corporation in an independent study determined there is a Gulf War syndrome, at the time the US government was saying it was non- existent.

The Tuskeegee Airmen experiment is enough to make African Americans suspicious of the US government.

The moon is not a spaceship, it is a satlelite.

Another question to ask is when does a consipracy theory become part of mainstream? When ppl hear the words "conspiracy theory" the immediately think of ppl who can't get dates hiding in their basements making stuff up.
But the earth being round would have been a nutty conspiracy theory back then.
There are a lot of interesting and thought provoking things that get labeled as "conspiracy theory" (said with big booming voice) and therefore get ignored by the mainstream.
Like deep said, there are a lot of theories that do have truth to them, and I think we need a more critical eye when investigating things.

And if we're going to talk about the Bilderberg Group let's not forget the Skull and Bones -http://www.conspiracyarchive.com/NWO/Skull_Bones_1.htm
http://www.rense.com/general30/skul.htm

:D

What deep and Sparkysgrrrl said.

As for the theory about the plane not crashing into the Pentagon....what about the people who were on that plane? What happened to them, according to the theory? Anybody know?

I would argue that conspiracy theories got much of their start with the aftermath of JFK's assassination, and that had a lot to do with the nature of how U.S. politicians dealt with the general public following World War II up to the 1960s. Take a look at the Kennedy / Nixon debates and look at how Nixon debated then. Ideas of negativity towards government were supposed to be foreign; government was a force to be trusted. However, with increased declassification of information, we find that such trust was misplaced, and there is a deep-seated feeling that we are being lied to in the name of "national security."

Indeed, perhaps due to our inherent demand for information, we distrust any groups that we feel do not represent us, and any group with disproportionate power that meets in secret is going to make us highly suspicious. In this respect, the Bush Administration has been a failure, as it, regardless of its intentions, has chosen this route. It should interest one to know that a provision of the Homeland Security Department bill allows for secret meetings. This will not, in any regard, help, and it is my view that conspiracy theories, which waned tremendously in the 1990s, is going to have a huge upsurge in popularity.

It should interest you to know that the "theory" about Israel knowing about the WTC attack ahead of time originated from Al-Jazeera reporting on the extremist, David Duke, former GOP Lousiana state representative, former GOP presidential candidate, and former KKK member. However, Al-Jazeera commented on David Duke as if he represented the mainstream thought of America, so now the Arab world has yet another reason to hate us, even if it comes from the mouth of an utter asshole.

At the same time, I would argue that the American media likely does the same stunt, in regards to reporting on Israel and Palestine. Notice that when Israelis die, we get names, pictures, and emotional reactions. Notice that when Palestinians die (often in Israeli retaliatory strikes), we get nothing of the sort. "They deserved it." But here's the thing: the Arab world does get this coverage on Palestine, while the Israeli deaths are nameless. I don't think we often fathom how much media really does influence us, and we really need to take the initiative to find out the "truth," because if you think we're just going to get it from our standard news sources--and I don't care where you live--you're not going to get it. You will always get the news reported as favorable to the dominant hegemony within one's nation or cultural body.

Melon

I think a lot of these ideas are classed as 'conspiracy theories' because we have come to have a negative image of these, and the people who come up with the ideas. But why are they? Because the powers that be KNOW there is truth.

I think there must be a lot of truth in these theories. I mean, all these people cannot be wrong.
What about the Men in Black phenomenon? Trivialised by the film, but search it out and read up on it, and you'll see there is truth behind this.

This many people can't be wrong, can they? And surely there's no smoke without fire.

Hanana said:

This many people can't be wrong, can they? And surely there's no smoke without fire.

Yes, they can. And usually--although not always--they are.

Back
Top Bottom