Conservative Group to Oppose Roberts' Nomination - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Conservative Group to Oppose Roberts' Nomination

I normally don't post about issues that could be construed as "partisan", but this one is TOO good.

Check it out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050809/ap_on_go_co/roberts

Conservative Group to Oppose John Roberts By JESSE J. HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A conservative group in Virginia said Tuesday it was withdrawing its support for Supreme Court nominee John Roberts' confirmation because of his work helping overturn a Colorado referendum on gays.

The group, Public Advocate of the United States, is one of the first conservative organizations to announce anything but support for the judge

Eugene Delgaudio, the president of the group, said in an interview that he hopes his stance will prod others.

"I know that others feel the same way. I know they believe as I do. They're just not going to act," the 50-year-old Northern Virginia man said. "But once I've done it, then they can't claim that no one's opposing Roberts."

"We can't take our limited resources and put it toward a candidate who is not a strict constructionist when we were told he is," Delgaudio said.

The stance by his group, which describes itself as a pro-family organization, puts it in opposition to conservative groups that have endorsed Roberts. A number of liberal groups already oppose President Bush's high court nominee.

Delgaudio said his group had planned to send out more than 1 million pieces of direct mail for Roberts, as well as working telephones, polling and conducting petition drives.

But now, "canceling our mail campaign is the least we can do," he said. He said he would poll his group to see if members want him to be neutral, spend money to oppose Roberts or reinstate support.

This is not the first time Delgaudio has gone up against the Bush administration. He criticized Vice President Dick Cheney last year after the vice president, when asked about gay marriage, said, "Freedom means freedom for everyone."

Delgaudio said then: "'Freedom' is not embracing perversion."

The Colorado gay rights case involved Amendment 2, a constitutional amendment approved by voters in 1992 that would have barred laws, ordinances or regulations protecting gays from discrimination by landlords, employers or public agencies such as school districts.

Gay rights groups sued, and the measure was declared unconstitutional in a 6-3 ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1996.

Roberts' role in the case included helping develop a strategy and firing tough questions during a mock court session at Jean Dubofsky, a former Colorado Supreme Court justice who argued the case on behalf of the gay rights plaintiffs.

Arguments that Roberts' work on the case doesn't equal support for gay rights doesn't wash with Delgaudio. "Nobody's forced to help your opponents," he said. "I can't believe that a senior attorney would voluntarily help somebody he doesn't agree with. I don't believe it. It's not credible."

Other conservative groups, including the Traditional Values Coalition and Focus on the Family Action, the political arm of the Colorado Springs-based conservative Christian ministry Focus on the Family, are still supporting Roberts.

"We support President Bush and his choice for the Supreme Court, John Roberts," said the Rev. Lou Sheldon, founder of the Traditional Values Coalition.

Other groups also are taking public stands on Roberts' candidacy.

NARAL Pro Choice America plans to start running television ads opposing Roberts on Wednesday, and other abortion rights groups including the National Organization for Women, the National Abortion Federation and the Feminist Majority all have announced their opposition to Roberts.

The conservative Progress for America is launching a counteroffensive against NARAL's ads, spending $300,000 for one week's worth of ads on broadcast television in Maine and Rhode Island and on national cable television networks. The ads criticize NARAL's ads, calling them "a desperate and false attack — recklessly distorting Judge Roberts' record."

The National Association of Manufacturers, led by Republican John Engler, is expected to announce an endorsement of Roberts on Wednesday.

___

On the Net:

Public Advocate of the United States: http://www.publicadvocateusa.org

----------------------------------------------------------

Last week, Sen. Bill Frist, Republican Senate Majority Leader, was "dis-invited" to attend a convention of evangelicals who had supported him in the past. The assumption was that they disagreed with Frist's personal moral conviction as a physician that he would have to support stem cell research.

Now this.

I just find the wishy-washy nature of these organizations toward people that they have much in common with ideologically (Frist, Roberts) to be a sad commentary on political loyalty in this day and age.

Not that I don't find this a bit amusing.

Any comments on fair weather friends?

Old 08-09-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:17 PM
If you don't agree down to the last microscopic detail, you are the enemy.

Thank you. What a pleasure of an article.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:17 PM
His stance on gay issues, actually gives me hope that he can and will be a judge first and foremost for the poeple.

He will get confirmed.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
If you don't agree down to the last microscopic detail, you are the enemy.
You're either with us, or against us!
Old 08-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:17 PM
. Oh, geez...

Quote:
The stance by his group, which describes itself as a pro-family organization
*Is still curious as to how supporting discrimination against homosexuals means you are "pro-family"*

to Roberts for doing work that supports homosexuals . That gives me a good feeling about him .

Angela
Old 08-09-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

to Roberts for doing work that supports homosexuals . That gives me a good feeling about him .

Angela
Even the unborn homosexuals...
Old 08-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

And where is the praise for the continued support by the Traditional Values Coalition and Focus on the Family Action?????

Old 08-09-2005, 08:53 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

"Focus on the Family" is Satan incarnate, as far as I'm concerned.

Melon
Old 08-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Ahh, so it's begun. The campaign to make John Roberts moderate by comparison, I mean. I guess Rove sent out the memo to this group then. It's time.

Really though, I have a feeling that's the angle they're going for.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
"Focus on the Family" is Satan incarnate, as far as I'm concerned.

Melon
I thought you didn't believe in Satan....
Old 08-09-2005, 09:22 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I thought you didn't believe in Satan....
I never said what I did or didn't believe in, except that the Bible is not infallible.

Melon
Old 08-09-2005, 11:24 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 10:17 PM
I'm conflicted about Roberts. He seems moderate-ish but he also condoned bombings against abortion clinics.

My fear is that since he seems more moderate, if the Democrats block him, Bush's second nominee may be EXTREMEly conservative and it would be harder to block a second nominee.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:38 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:17 AM
I saw the article popped away on Kos but it didn't say that he he condoned bombings, can you show evidence for these claims.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:57 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
Ahh, so it's begun. The campaign to make John Roberts moderate by comparison, I mean. I guess Rove sent out the memo to this group then. It's time.

Really though, I have a feeling that's the angle they're going for.
Such cynicism in one so young!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Such cynicism in one so young!
why, thank you.